Where’s the Transparent love?

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Please let me know if this is not an appropriate post and I’ll delete.
I switched my out of warranty DAVE from XLR to RCA because one of my XLR inputs went bad. Having no further use for my like new 2m Transparent Gen 5 ULTRA XLRs ($3500 retail) I’ve listed and reduced them on A’gon and USAudiomart for $2100. Not a bite. Any ideas what asking price might attract interest. My experience buying and selling suggests it’s a competitive ask. Bit apparently not. Thanks for any input.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Transparent Reference Series and higher are matched to the impedance of the components they connect. At the Reference level the matching is just high or low impedance for the source. But at higher levels, the matching (they call it calibration) is more precise.

If you buy used or NOS from a Transparent dealer, the recalibration is free. I don’t know if they offer the recalibration for free on other sales paths, but maybe others aren’t sure either and don’t want to take the risk. Transparent also offer an upgrade path for NOS or used products sold through dealers.

Cable/interconnect margins are generally pretty large. I think it is hard to sell interconnects for more than 50% of retail. And even harder if they’re not the current generation. Transparent is on to Gen 6.

Deals are available on NOS Gen 5 through Paragon Sight and Sound, and probably others.

If something doesn’t sell in a month or two, usually it means that the price is higher than current buyers are willing to pay. You can wait for the market to improve, or you can cut price and hope to generate a sale.

FWIW, the Ultras are not impedance matched. I was loaned a pair of 2M XLR Gen 5 Ultras on trial, and did not keep them because they weren’t a good fit in my application. But someone who is running something like AudioQuest McKenzies might find them to be an improvement. If I were in that situation, I’d probably consider them at $1000 to $1400.

Last edited:

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Good info. I’ll get some clarity about recalibration but I believe ULTRA as the level below REFERENCE is not specifically calibrated. The market is pretty saturated with Gen 5 to be sure which is how I came upon my Gen 5s in the first place. Thanks so much for the info.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing