Wilson Alexandria XLF Measurements "Quite Poor"

it's the title of the letter sent to Soudstage network...did you read it ? link is at the beginning of this thread...why change the title? they measure bad....OEM drivers no anechoic chamber...'voiced' by ear...you get the point.

The ear is always the final arbiter, and should always be at the top of the heap.

Measurements are for knowing the ballpark you are pitching in and what direction to pitch. Nothing more.

Granted, you never said the opposite in your original post, so excuse/dismiss any misinterpretation.

Define new ,

FFT measurements have been with us for more than 2 decades now, I'm sure there were no surprises from JA's measurements , if there was , i'm sure WA would have responded by now ...

As compared to the idea of an ohm, watt, or ampere. ie, new. 20 years is not even the length of time of a gnat's fart, in comparison to other established systems. :)

(PS, I was there in the early 90's spending every cent I had to purchase the most reasonably priced but entirely functional and well thought out, with repeatable accuracy and valid comparisons, FFT packages of the time)

The ear is always the final arbiter, and should always be at the top of the heap.

Measurements are for knowing the ballpark you are pitching in and what direction to pitch. Nothing more.

agreed.

Ok , from that perspective i wont ask what you think of digital ... :)

Not a fan, for a long time. however, we (the royal we) do tend to end up spending most of our modern times, listening to it. For good or for bad.

I'm still waiting for it to mature. It's getting close. I said that I would not get into doing any more design work on digital projection, until they standardized with 1080P resolution, and with long life lighting sources, like LED.

Both have started to emerge as a new trend, so I can finally go back and institute all my video innovations/changes/mods... in the world of video projectors.

Digital audio, is likewise maturing and stabilizing. Finally. After 20 years of crap.

I was the kind of guy, who, in the early 90's was telling the 44.1k/16bit crowd that the minimum specification had to be at least a 225k/s sample rate, with 20bit depth, just to hit the basic minimal specification of the standard audiophile capacity to place imaging across a sound stage. That is the minimum. Bottom of the barrel. That is the minimum specification required to actualize the location of a single frequency 'ping', in a horizontal 'space'. then, when we add in complex instruments represented by complex harmonics, as a set, the complexities in the signal are drastic, and cannot be mathematically 'represented by a series of sine wave/curves, etc,as described by the simplistic thinking on the theory. The reality is that it is TWO entirely separate channels that have entirely separate timing cues, that are built on complex harmonic wave forms that step in and out of a alignment and agreement with one another in a complexity that truly defies belief. that's what REAL instruments do. And analog beats digital all to heck when it comes to getting that right.

Once those complex and not perfectly related and not perfectly mixed harmonics are to be represented, differently, as in differently across two channels separately/differently .... then the sample rate requirement moves up into the MHz ranges. multiple overlapping parameters that need to be addressed that are constantly skipping in and out of the noise/signal floor.

Thus, due to the way the human ear works, the so-called linear weighted noise floor aspects of digital distortion, those end up being the fundamental sound of the given DAC set up or design. All that tiny stuff that designers and linear measurement techniques relegate to being non critical, ie the last 1-2% of the distortion in the noise floor, that ends up being the entire heart of what the ear hears and works by. That the idea of digital measuring well, has just about zero relation to how we hear and how we listen.

Last edited:
Define new ,

FFT measurements have been with us for more than 2 decades now, I'm sure there were no suprises from JA's measurements , if there was , i'm sure WA would have responded by now ...

Actually longer if you count military use. As for the second part, I'm not a fan of logic that hinges on "surely by now"s. Surely = Speculation in my book ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing