What's the best DAC digital interface possible?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizz - so which is better out of the Ravenna or i2s hdmi interfaces?

In terms of transports for Ravenna - is that just via standard Ethernet so any PC will do?

A well implemented Ravenna interface should be better. This is because the I2S/DSD can be sent CMOS direct over short PCB traces, as well as synchronous clocking to DAC master. Also It can be powered by ultra low noise LDO off the DAC LPS. Very similar to the SD card transport on the Mirus, but the data stream comes in via Ethernet instead of SD card.

The incoming Ethernet data stream isn't clocked yet so no jitter is introduced, and no reclocking even required. And any noise from external computers/routers can be isolated from noise using fibre.

It also allows you to use which ever computer based media application you desire. So you can take advantage of mobile app GUI's as well as PC based SDM/SRC/DSP.

Any Windows/Mac computer can be used as the transport just the same as with USB.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
A well implemented Ravenna interface should be better. This is because the I2S/DSD can be sent CMOS direct over short PCB traces, as well as synchronous clocking to DAC master. Also It can be powered by ultra low noise LDO off the DAC LPS. Very similar to the SD card transport on the Mirus, but the data stream comes in via Ethernet instead of SD card.

The incoming Ethernet data stream isn't clocked yet so no jitter is introduced, and no reclocking even required. And any noise from external computers/routers can be isolated from noise using fibre.

It also allows you to use which ever computer based media application you desire. So you can take advantage of mobile app GUI's as well as PC based SDM/SRC/DSP.

Thanks - so when will the Ravenna boards be available? Don't Focusrite have something called Red Net - is this not the same thing?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Thanks - so when will the Ravenna boards be available? Don't Focusrite have something called Red Net - is this not the same thing?

Probably Q1 2016 for OEM's. There's a few other "Audio over IP" protocols. But some are proprietary, and all but Ravenna are limited to either 24/96 Or 24/192 PCM. Ravenna is a completely open standard just like USB, and it capable up to DSD 1028 over 2 channels per board, or 8 channels @ DSD 256 per board. You can also sync up to 8- 8 channel boards streaming simultaneous DSD 256 over 48 channels on a single gigabit Ethernet network, with around 1 nanosecond of channel to channel skew between boards.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Probably Q1 2016 for OEM's. There's a few other "Audio over IP" protocols. But some are proprietary, and all but Ravenna are limited to either 24/96 Or 24/192 PCM. Ravenna is a completely open standard just like USB, and it capable up to DSD 1028 over 2 channels per board, or 8 channels @ DSD 256 per board. You can also sync up to 8- 8 channel boards streaming simultaneous DSD 256 over 48 channels on a single gigabit Ethernet network, with around 1 nanosecond of channel to channel skew between boards.

Very cool, thanks. So we need to add a Ravenna board to our Lampi then to enable dsd 1028 lol. We will need a fast computer to upsample our quad dsd to hexadeca dsd - that has a nice ring to it. Maybe it should be HexaDecca DSD :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Very cool, thanks. So we need to add a Ravenna board to our Lampi then to enable dsd 1028 lol. We will need a fast computer to upsample our quad dsd to hexadeca dsd - that has a nice ring to it. Maybe it should be HexaDecca DSD :)

Not sure if there's any audible advantages above DSD 256, but if there is, Ravenna can handle it.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I will have a new Ravenna based interface board in my possession soon I will be running through the paces. This will be the ultimate solution as an interface option. This board will render USB interfaces obsolete. So once this is ready for distribution to OEM's, Lukasz should be one of the first that is interested. Big bonus is it can easily be retrofitted into any Lampi DAC to replace the Amanero.

Check out the Merging NADAC for an example of similar implementation.

http://nadac.merging.com/networking

My Ravenna system has been stable for over 2yr. now. Also similar systems use Dante.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My Ravenna system has been stable for over 2yr. now. Also similar systems use Dante.

Yeah Ravenna is rock solid. Dante's good as well. Only closed, proprietary and limited to 24/192 PCM.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi guys,

I would just like to inform everyone of a surprise I've encountered with the latest gen of XMOS Xcore 200 processors. I've just heard the best audio USB yet, but I'll have to hear comparisons to find out if it's just the DAC, or the combination of DAC/interface.

Stay tuned.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Hi guys,

I would just like to inform everyone of a surprise I've encountered with the latest gen of XMOS Xcore 200 processors. I've just heard the best audio USB yet, but I'll have to hear comparisons to find out if it's just the DAC, or the combination of DAC/interface.

Stay tuned.

What is it a XMOS commercial implementation that you experienced?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
What is it a XMOS commercial implementation that you experienced?

It's something I had custom made. The clocks with -114 DBc 10hz phase noise for the USB may have helped. Also the fact the DAC chip is synchronically clocked to clock #2.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
for USB I used CAPS with SotM
for AES/EBU lynx from dedicated server (also Empircal Audio USB converter in the past)
For streaming the PS Audio bridge
For I2S the Pink Faun card with AV Streamer (their Sota server)
For Coax the Vanity Card in modded Oppo (with Linear PS).

All pretty decent hardware, although no doubt I could have spend more on a five figure server like aurender.

I have used differend DACs in the past, but am now using a stack of 3 x PS audio Direcstream for MCH / 2 channel.

Do you like this DAC better then the EMM Labs DAC2X?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing