What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Arvo Pärt: Stabat Mater
Studio de Musique Ancienne de Montréal, Christopher Jackson, Quatuor Franz Joseph, Daniel Taylor

Psalom, Summa (choir), Summa (strings), Fratres, Es sang vor langen Jahren
I’m not sure that Arvo Part is a great composer in the sense that he could join the pantheon of the great classical composers however his music is still important. [...] We are a judgemental lot music lovers... but sometimes in the telling of the story there is a simple great virtue. [...]

Hmm... What qualifies a composer as great? What make the works of a run of the mill composer important? And what kind of merits are music lovers judging on?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Arvo Pärt: Stabat Mater
Studio de Musique Ancienne de Montréal, Christopher Jackson, Quatuor Franz Joseph, Daniel Taylor

Psalom, Summa (choir), Summa (strings), Fratres, Es sang vor langen Jahren

Hmm... What qualifies a composer as great? What make the works of a run of the mill composer important? And what kind of merits are music lovers judging on?
Perhaps time will tell... I certainly wouldn’t twist my posts intention to then suggest we downgrade Part to run of the mill, I have considerable affection for his music... just some observations reflecting on other ways to value the works on my part of a composer who became better known relatively recently (in post modern times) and of a life lived and the music made out of the harder human experiences in an area of the world and a time with much less choice and freedom than many of us enjoy now. All said I’m very partial to Part.

Last edited:

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Perhaps time will tell... [...]

It depends on what time will be telling though. Through history, there are many, many composers who had made significant contributions to music in terms of theory, forms, expressions etc. Most classical music lovers these days would be hard pressed to name, let alone know the works/contributions of most of them. They aren't even remembered, let alone be judged great, which a lot of them probably deserved to be. So how fair/complete is this test of time?

As for hash human experiences, Isn't there sufferings much harsher than simply less choice/freedom? Is Anton Webern supposed to be great? In fact, there is much subtle sufferings in the parts of the world that are supposedly free. Personally, deep human experiences are deep human experiences, not matter what these experiences are about. In Arvo Pärt's case, most of his pieces are full of subtitles under theoretical analysis. And the depth of human experience he has managed to lay on top of this deep theoretical foundation is nothing short of breathtaking. If he isn't considered great now or in the future, the problem is in those casting the judgement, not the other way around. Just my opinion of course.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
If he isn't considered great now or in the future, the problem is in those casting the judgement, not the other way around. Just my opinion of course.
Hmmm, so if I don’t agree with you and don’t see Arvo Part as one of the great composers of all time there is a problem with me?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No, he just shared his vision. Music is an evolution across times and spaces ... the human soul.
Arvo Pärt is a very special music composer, a higher level of reaching the heart of man, woman and children. ÌMHO

? https://www.arvopart.ee/en/arvo-part/

It's all in the listening vibrating the deep human chords ... like a piano escaping the ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: accwai and Al M.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
It’s perhaps easier to be an activist who deals out in anger but harder perhaps to be an activist who just shows great compassion and shares with us in the pain.

I've tried unsuccessfully to excavate positive meaning in his works at least a few times. Should need arise to explore pain in great detail my library has sufficient outlets. Not including Pärt's homage to Anish Kapoor I shut off and binned in the time it took to crack and read a page of the liner notes. Admittedly views on modern art and Mr. Kapoor impacted this decision. There is so much good enjoyable music to engage with it didn't, and still fails to, bother me one bit neglecting a single living composer.

4438198-origpic-df3144.jpg

Reactions: NorthStar

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I've tried unsuccessfully to excavate positive meaning in his works at least a few times. Should need arise to explore pain in great detail my library has sufficient outlets. Not including Pärt's homage to Anish Kapoor I shut off and binned in the time it took to crack and read a page of the liner notes. Admittedly views on modern art and Mr. Kapoor impacted this decision. There is so much good enjoyable music to engage with it didn't, and still fails to, bother me one bit neglecting a single living composer.

View attachment 58565
There is such a rich and deep trove of music available and relative to the sheer volume we have little time to appreciate it all so I find I also get quite aware now about what I spend time playing and wary of spending too much time on less than ideal performances or with music that has value but doesn’t resonate quite as much for me. I love good music and enjoy good discussion... but easily prefer spending more time listening to music.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and NorthStar

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018

conceivably ( i despise that word, btw; however, that kinda word fits, here, IMO...just saying ) the sublime...yes...(complete disgrace she NOT adored BY ALL CLASSICAL peeps) ... sublime Clara ...and doubtless Bargiel...are listening to this...
I am.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Discussion is also music...with or without words. :)
and music is perhaps the ultimate discourse... classical (and especially chamber music) and great jazz can be the very best of conversations. The dialogue between instruments tends to bring people together whereas so much about words, thoughts and ideas are based in the distinctions of what separates us.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
and music is perhaps the ultimate discourse... classical (and especially chamber music) and great jazz can be the very best of conversations. The dialogue between instruments tends to bring people together whereas so much about words, thoughts and ideas are based in the distinctions of what separates us.

Yes, and pictures without words allow the music to flow better freely...intimite spiritual intellectuel discussion ...It's like going to an art gallery with a live piano and cello players...you can have a better communion/discussion (observation) with the paintings, sculptures, photographs, etc. ...Better intimacy without spoken words, just pure thoughts ...

Reactions: accwai and Manesp

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018

“I often conduct an orchestra in my sleep; my orchestras are so huge that the back desks of the violas vanish into the horizon."

-- Jean Sibelius

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Yes, and pictures without words allow the music to flow better freely...intimite spiritual intellectuel discussion ...It's like going to an art gallery with a live piano and cello players...you can have a better communion/discussion (observation) with the paintings, sculptures, photographs, etc. ...Better intimacy without spoken words, just pure thoughts ...

“I often conduct an orchestra in my sleep; my orchestras are so huge that the back desks of the violas vanish into the horizon."

-- Jean Sibelius

Reactions: howiebrou

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Antonio Salieri: Symphonies, Overtures & Variations
London Mozart Players, Matthias Bamert

Oh yes, *that* Salieri...
Hmmm, so if I don’t agree with you and don’t see Arvo Part as one of the great composers of all time there is a problem with me?

Disagreeing with me is perfectly fine. It's following it up with whether that's a problem that is a problem. And framing it as problem with you makes the problem even worst. Just my personal opinion of course :) Zen question for you by the way: What's your original face like before your father and mother were born?

Reactions: Manesp

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Oh yes, *that* Salieri...

Disagreeing with me is perfectly fine. It's following it up with whether that's a problem that is a problem. And framing it as problem with you makes the problem even worst. Just my personal opinion of course :) Zen question for you by the way: What's your original face like before your father and mother were born?
Probably not an emoji at any rate ;) and kind thanks for the permissions to not agree so let’s end all the small clever words and little hidden meanings and get back to the love of music where joy, honest good will and the real and lasting intelligence awaits. Enjoy.

Reactions: accwai and rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing