What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Estonian Festival Orchestra, Paavo Jarvi - Estonian Premieres

I find the album cover artwork particularly evocative. And the music itself stands up to the challenge.

Minu arvates on albumi kaanekujundus eriti meeldejääv. Ja muusika ise peab väljakutse vastu.
View attachment 94467
Thank you for this. I am listening to it now. Evocative.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Here's a triple-play combo you don't hear often: (and for those interested in new music releases across all genres to which I listen and joy from both a performance and sonics perspective please visit and bookmark. NAR (New Album Releases)

Chamber Music for Oboe • Bassoon • Piano — Francais • Schnyder • Poulenc • Villa Lobos

folder.jpg

Reactions: Andrew S. and rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
And now for something completely different:

GESUALDO: Tenebrae — The Hilliard Ensemble (1991, ECM)
folder.jpg

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Beethoven & Stucky — Orchestral Works / Manfred Honeck • Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Reference Recordings

Beethoven • Symphony NO. 6 Pastoral

Stucky • Silent Spring

folder.jpg

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
So, if it weren't for the Overture/Venusberg music of Richard Wagner's Tannhauser, I'd never have gotten into anything Wagnerian, and now 45 years later my heart still skips a beat when I hear a recording. My introduction was Solti's recording with the Vienna Philarmonic on London/Decca, Today I happened across a disc of orchestral Wagner selections and no need to guess the first track of the album. Stokowski along with the Symphony of the Air and its Chorus made me feel young all over again.

folder.jpg

Reactions: the_nines

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Reactions: rando and christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
a1.jpg

An exceptional music content, recorded at the Theatre Audiotorium de Poitiers (France) and available in 192/24 at Qobuz.

Reactions: rando

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Very dry acoustics. Almost sounds like they're in the room with me.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
So, I've been listening to this because whilst I adore Vaughan Williams the addition of a brass. band just makes me go weak in the ...

1660320350888.png

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Played mostly by the LSO plus the Bergen Phil. on numbers 7 and 9, these multichannel recordings are spacious and attractive if sometimes slightly distant even for this NOT-in-your-face fan.. Highly recommended.. Chandos #CHSA 5303(6),
1660710419586.png

This is one of my very favorite pieces, and the recording is excellent.. The third movements of the symphony and the (orchestrated) organ sonata are among the few most-beautiful pieces of music ever written and for this Mahler fan rank with the Adagettio (fourth movement) of his fifth symphony.
1660710473186.png

This is the most-transparent and real-sounding orchestral recording I've ever heard, or at least the Elgar is.. My MC system comes close to sounding as if I'm sitting on a high stool behind the conductor and that these talented musicians are playing for ME.. Highly recommended but out of production, unfortunately.. TELARC #SACD-60623.
1660711217544.png

Humble Oppo '203 DP, HDMI hookup to Marantz '8805 pre/pro where all digital processing occurs, extremely-high-quality Neotec UP-OOC silver balanced IC, Atma-Sphere M60 poweramps, Serenity Super-7 main speakers, Emotiva airmotive C1+ center-channel speaker, Emotiva 11-channel center-and-surrounds poweramp, 2 Rythmik 18"-driver SWs driven by the '.1' channels, and several pairs of ELAC B-6 surround and ceiling speakers in a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup.
2022Aug08_DSC0241_Super-7s and Atma-Spheres_2000w.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
At a scandalous discount from Qobuz download fest intended to draw attention towards this label's offerings.
Well recorded debut album by Adélaïde Ferrière in 96/24 (+ some extras off the editing room floor)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Water, a choice of pieces on piano played by Helene Grimaud.

a1.jpg

Reactions: Andrew S.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing