What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
On the turntable tonight. Not bad playing for a 14 year old! Early digital audio that analog can ameliorate only so far.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So been listening to:

What a shocker :D. Had to go and listen when you prompted me. Was another great performance to listen to while posting more CES threads.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I prefer the original string version, but this piano trio arrangement puts the music in new light. Excellent sound.

A powerful piece from my favorite label. Ordered and downloading as I type this (listening to Youtube version). Thanks!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Franz Schubert – Winterreise
Christoph Prégardien | Michael Gees

Delightful performance. Not a big fan of the piano sounding like it is in a hole/distant but the vocals, oh the vocals, sound sublime.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
The dates of the Classical period in Western music are generally accepted as being between about 1750 and 1820.

If you were composing Classical music 200 years ago, you might have a desk.

Maybe a German desk.

Maybe this desk:

[video]www.chonday.com/Videos/200-year-old-german-desk[/video]

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The SACD mastering adds a fair amount of warmth and detail. Of course, the playing and conducting are phenomenal.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Since Classical is so often misused as a general description for Orchestral music, and this came in the mail today, and is spinning...

london-symphony-orchestra-vols-i-ii.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Classical Choral music...peaceful, soothing in the soul, simplicity of ? ecstasy. ...Music with a capital "C" ...Classical maestro.
Listen to the horn section, to the power of rumbling and rolling of the big drums...the trumpets, the powerful piano in 4-Dimensional illusion of reality.
Sublime is not the word; spiraling world in turmoil is.

Reactions: KyoichiOda

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
5 discs is a lot of Locatelli, but a Concerto or two at time is fine. Ruhadze deals with the cruel difficulties of these works with aplomb. Superbly recorded.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Beethoven Piano Sonatas

I'm listening to these:
View attachment 25241
DGG SKL 901-911, circa 1965. Big Tulips everywhere.

Very straightforward sonics w/ little to no post-production engineering. Just a guy and piano in a room.

Kempff was a genius.
This is delightful!

P.S. Go to your profile and put your signature there. That way it won't be quoted when we try to respond to you. And links are fine given the great service you are providing us with these recommendations. :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Beethoven
The Late String Quartets-Tokyo String Quartet

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Sibelius: Symphonies 1-7 with Okko Kamu and the Lahti SO on BIS SACD in Mch. Excellent interpretations, excellent sound, though even lower in level than most BIS discs, which are known for that. I just need to turn it up more.

Reactions: christoph

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
She plays these Etudes with fantastic color and atmosphere to the point that the technique they exploit isn't even that obvious: the music is what stands out.

James David Walley

Jun 16, 2013
Witt: "Jena" Symphony performed by the London Mozart Players under the direction of Matthias Bamert, from a CD included with an issue of BBC Music magazine, to which I hadn't gotten around to listen to until now.

5151su7PbYL._SX355_.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The String Quintet today. This disc is the latest in the fine series by the Quartetto di Cremona.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing