What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
51mSZJl68FL._SX425_.jpg

The operas of Leos Janacek. Conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras with the Wiener Philarmoniker. I absolutely love these. Great recordings.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
No.4-6 today. I love how clearly he delineates the counterpoint. Great sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The String Quintet today. This disc is the latest in the fine series by the Quartetto di Cremona.

I have always enjoyed the Endellion Quartet on Beethoven and have their complete set of Beethoven. My wife and I have heard them at Wigmore last year as well. How do you compare to this group?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No.4-6 today. I love how clearly he delineates the counterpoint. Great sound.

I enjoy these as well! Totally agree. The other i enjoy with Christopher Rousset (harpsichord). The one i really, really enjoy is Bernard Roberts 'Bach - French Suites'

Bach - Bernard Roberts - French Suites.jpg Bach - Rousset.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This! This is a great piece!!! Grant Woolard has taken 33 classical artists' 57 greatest pieces and blended them together into one long piece, often playing 3-4 at the same time...the video shows each line of music by each composer and how they are being played at the same time. Its almost as if all these pieces were meant to be played together/at the same time like this. A lot of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYkWSW7u4k

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I was only familiar with Turina's guitar pieces, so I was curious to try some chamber music; I'm glad I did! Wonderfully melodic and impressionistic. Fantastic playing and sound--very rich and warm. Could that be due to my new tube amp? :)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I have always enjoyed the Endellion Quartet on Beethoven and have their complete set of Beethoven. My wife and I have heard them at Wigmore last year as well. How do you compare to this group?

I've never heard the Endellion Quartet. The Cremona was coached by members of the Quartetto Italiano. The Cremona is more aggressive, sort of an Italian Alban Berg Qt, but with more moments of sweetness.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Still intense, but Rihm has mellowed with time.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Just the Fantasy today. Lovely playing and sound.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
51qC1jHthTL._SX425_.jpg

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
61smNTTgz1L._SX425_.jpg

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This is Sokolov's newest release. I started with the "Hammerklavier" today. The first movement is rather slow and curiously underplayed, the Scherzo is adequate, but oh my...the Adagio is simply transcendental (at at nearly 22 minutes, rather slow), and the concluding Fugue is very powerful and articulate. More to follow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing