What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
A well played and recorded choice. What selection process lead you to explore this piece among the multitude of choices?

I know you have smaller interest in Classical. So don't worry if it was something a visitor auditioned. Whether you find music prevalent before 1900 something becomes partially enjoyable is of no consequence to how we receive new interests in here. Just glad you decided to explore where we might offer the benefit of some larger interest.

If this is not the album you listened to please correct me.

Yep, thats the one. I have a copy of this music on vinyl, Berstein and New York Philharmonic (if my memory serves me correctly). While I am not a classical music lover, thats not to say there are not pieces I enjoy. A recent visitor who wanted to hear the Alsyvox Botticelli was a very enthusiastic and passionate lover of classical music, and easily the most knowledgeable person I’ve ever met regarding same. He was courteous to bring a selection that wouldn’t put me to sleep — I have new music to explore and enjoy.

I have tried to develop an appreciation for classical multiple times in my life — I keep coming back to jazz, blues and funk. No disrespect to classical composers—those dudes could really write a song. Sadly, more often than not, I don’t know what the hell the song is all about! But my visitor clearly did know, and he was into it. It was great fun for me to observe him enjoying the music. I’m all about following your passions and curiosities as I believe they are the well-springs of our lives.

Reactions: Hifi man

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
On Blu Ray ergo what are you watching as well , an enjoyable echo compared to being there.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
While I am not a classical music lover, thats not to say there are not pieces I enjoy. A recent visitor who wanted to hear the Alsyvox Botticelli was a very enthusiastic and passionate lover of classical music

So no bowl of glass (candy sea glass) showed up on the table in front of you before the first note. Shame, that statement deserved some action. :p

Copland is, to me, a surprising composer to settle on. Someone I listen to very sparingly as I feel he endeavored too far into an endless plateau after setting alight the wonder of advancement landing him in a position to explore. Given your interests in other musical forms. I wonder if you wouldn't find some relevance in the works exhibiting European's adoption of Jazz into Classical. Krenek comes to mind as a composer who never shied away from applying a unique intellectualism I find missing in Copland. At his furthest point of removal from European culture (California) and Jazz influences is a work that might interest you.

Crossing the Americas
Mare Duo

P.S. Classical albums are accompanied with booklets containing dense highly researched explanations to aid any listener towards understanding what the music and artist's statement within it express.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Via the Blu Ray DVD … really does not feel like a decade since we were there.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Please report

Very safe large label release pairing one of the "B"s with two of their highly recognizable roster. :D

With that out of the way, not necessarily so mature an interpretation an emotional lack of restraint wasn't called for in order to pull back from tendency to "fall into each other like gloves."

Ma is likely one of the best bandmasters alive. Don't believe I would've paid him any attention if not for a brief fascination with Sousa and his European counterparts.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Very safe large label release pairing one of the "B"s with two of their highly recognizable roster. :D

With that out of the way, not necessarily so mature an interpretation an emotional lack of restraint wasn't called for in order to pull back from tendency to "fall into each other like gloves."

Ma is likely one of the best bandmasters alive. Don't believe I would've paid him any attention if not for a brief fascination with Sousa and his European counterparts.
Thank you very much.
What would you recommend as a less safe and more interesting bet?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
A release came to mind I believe satisfies all the preconditions of this request for someone of your activity and interest level. Album in question exists outside the criteria of this discussion. So it will be suggested elsewhere.

Recent months have shown off the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Elim Chan almost breaking out in tears of joy at being on stage. Coming from Ma/Ax* this revels in escapism (while meeting every government imposed regulation on gathering to perform).

First movement of Beethoven Symphony No. 8 with doubled horns

* MaAx sounds like exactly the wild ride you were asking for. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing