Welcome 'smul' from the NL - Spectral user and musician

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Arjan and I have been chatting for the last year on all-things Spectral, and he has a few experiences to share with us. Above all, he's a musician who's just cut his first CD, and a copy is on the way to me - please see www.alivemodernsavior.nl

I am doing the introduction to ease his pain:D

Welcome Arjan!

smul

Feb 9, 2012
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ack,

Many thanks for your introduction and a welcome to all users on WBF.

I'm not actually a musician, wish i could hit a single note, but what you could call the producer of this album.
It's home brew idea that culminated in the release of an album and a high res file.

As we speak I'm gathering musicians for our second project.
If you're interested have a look at the site website. http://www.alivemodernsavior.nl/

I hope to produce 2 live albums per year from now on.
Each time with musicians that have never played together in that particular combination (mainly with a jazz or contempory background).

We are not in it for the money, the idea is to produce albums that will sound better and better each time on my spectral system!
All feedback is welcome.

greetings from Rotterdam,

Arjan

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi there... can you discuss with us the recording advice you got from KOJ?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome Arjan!

But, but, but after only 2 posts you are already raising controversy .. Let me quote you
the idea is to produce albums that will sound better and better each time on my spectral system
... So what can it sound good on another system? ;)

Welcome

smul

Feb 9, 2012
Ah yes, Keith O Johnson, or is that professor Keith O Johnson? N
ot sure if he’s a real professor or whether this is just a name of affection?
But he certainly is something else.

He looked extremely fragile when he came up but his mind and focus are very special indeed.
He reminded me a bit of Stephen Hawking, not his physical condition of the body but his mind.

It was a missed opportunity by the people from Chattelin Audio that they didn't film the entire lecture about the vision of Spectral and the development of high end audio.
You can watch a short video clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAif-3F27Lc

When the lecture was over I approached him with my ignorant questions about recording music.
Felt a bit like I was going to discuss chess positions with Magnus Carlsen.

But he was most kind. What he told me was that first of all it will never sound better than how good a musician has played.
And that's entirely true I found out during my first experiences with this recording.

If a musician produces a glorious tone then you will hear this, even when it’s badly recorded.
The bass player on this first record of Alive! Modern Savior decided to use an in-ear headphone for the first time in his career.
But as a consequence he played probably 10% to 20% less loud as he would have done without.
And this, in combination with the habit of Dutch audiences to behave not necessarily very quiet during concerts
and the classic issue of cross talk with recording double bass made we had a problem during the mix.
There was simply too much audience on the bass players mike.
Fortunately we decided to have a so called DI mike on the bass as well (direct input).
Now double bass players hate a DI and they do so quite rightly. Because this just doesn’t sound like acoustic bass.
But we had to use 30% or so of this feed.

It is not a problem at all when you listen to this record in your car or on your iPod, it is actually better for this,
but on very revealing systems it becomes to boomy. Something we learned for our second recording.
Then with respect to the actual recording technique Keith Johnson told me he always uses the reflections of some walls or a corner.
And he never miked straight on but always 2 mikes pointing in a certain angle at the bass player and those walls. And I believe he said he liked AKG mikes.

For example when you listen to the standing bass on Harry Belafonte’s outstanding live in Carnegie Hall you think this sounds pretty good.
Fantastic engineering on this record. And dead quite audience and no cross talk because the musicians are miles apart.
But compare this to a good studio recording, for example Manu Katché - Neibourhood (ECM) and you hear the (huge) difference.

If you have a chance to meet KOJ please do so.

cheers

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Welcome, Arjan! Sounds like you bring some interesting experiences to the table! Keith Johnson has been very active in long-distance running, if I recall correctly. That can produce a fragile, gaunt appearance.

Lee

smul

Feb 9, 2012
Reply to my own post!

Last evening I proudly showed my friend Michel van Schie my introduction to the WBF.
Michel also happens to be the engineer of Tepin, the record I talked about. He told me I shouldn't compare live recordings with studio recordings and of course he is totally right. So from now on my examples for enginering will focus on live recordings.

This is a picture of the setting of last year:

http://file:///C:/Users/Arjan/Desktop/ALIVE%20MODERN%20SAVIOR/Fotos%20en%20Videos/bandfoto%20bewerkt%20door%20Re%20Struct.jpg

If readers of this post know of a just great sounding live recording in a similar setting that Michel and I could use as a benchmark, please let me know! (similar = a semi acoustic setting in a living room or small venue)

enjoy your weekend

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Try using the INSERT LINK (globe) option or did you?

smul

Feb 9, 2012
http://file:///C:/Users/Arjan/Desktop/ALIVE%20MODERN%20SAVIOR/Fotos%20en%20Videos/bandfoto%20bewerkt%20door%20Re%20Struct.jpg

thanks john,

the globe isn't workin either
that url i'm using is also rather odd: it starts with "file:///C:.."

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

thanks john,

the globe isn't workin either
that url i'm using is also rather odd: it starts with "file:///C:.."

If you're sending a jpg use the INSERT IMAGE tag..... select/copy the image ONLY and paste it into the INSERT IMAGE tag.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Arjan,

I cannot see the picture on your quote from the below post.
{Even your link above does not work.}

* I did several recordings (alone and with other musicians) in the past (R2R, tapes, CDs),
but I don't no more, unfortunately. But I do have some friend's recordings though (they are still doin' it). And some CDs of mine of course (acoustic guitars & flutes; and electric stuff too).
- Friend's CDs: It is Folk music, very local, Irish accent, English blood, and Passion soul ...
Girl singing ... But I don't consider them of real value as the equipment used was mediocre at best, but still quite effective and fun to experiment with ... :b

Enjoy your weekend as well,
Bob

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last evening I proudly showed my friend Michel van Schie my introduction to the WBF.
Michel also happens to be the engineer of Tepin, the record I talked about. He told me I shouldn't compare live recordings with studio recordings and of course he is totally right. So from now on my examples for enginering will focus on live recordings.

This is a picture of the setting of last year:

If readers of this post know of a just great sounding live recording in a similar setting that Michel and I could use as a benchmark, please let me know! (similar = a semi acoustic setting in a living room or small venue)

enjoy your weekend

That post!

smul

Feb 9, 2012
finally!

Stefan Lievestro (double bass, played with Pat Metheny, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Toots Thielemans, Freddie Hubbard)
Mark Schilder (without a doubt Dutch number 1 drum talent, just finished a 3 week master class with New York finests percusionists)
Anton Goudsmit (guiter, founder of Dutch foremost progressive jazz outfit: The Ploctones)
Ronald Kool (keys, just finished recording new album of Al Jarreau, accomponist of Anouk, dutch No1 female rockstar)

bandfoto bewerkt&#32.jpg

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi smul,

Welcome and if I may ask, which models of Spectral equipment are you using?

smul

Feb 9, 2012
mullard,

course you may
but if you right click on smul here in the left colum and then go to 'about me' you see the complete list

I have 360 series 1 and 30ss (late) series 1

priority for me is upgrade of speakers
i'm going to buy a pair of watt/pupp 7, live with them for half a year, see if they fit my room acoustics and then most likely go for sashas

other upgrades are obvious: 260, 30ss series 2, Linn Klimax/2, MIT Matrix
although I'm in little doubt about Klimax DS, alternative is Aurender/Berkeley Alpha 2 or possibly dCS
the expected Spectral DAC is I assume out of my reach

why you're asking?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing