Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto no.35 Leonid Kogan (R2R Tapes Russia) 15ips 2tr

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have just received and listened to this 15ips 2 track tape. I liked it very much and it is better sounding than my vinyl reissue from Testament. I never had the original issue or the ERC reissue so I can not compare to those. This tape run is limited to 50 dubs in total and I have the number 12. It is an official release and here is what I have learned from the company about the provenance. I quote;

"Record of Kogan was created by Columbia, but at 1959 they gave license and dub of original to Melodiya for release.
Now, that tape is issued by Reel to Reel tapes Russia under license and under agreement with Melodiya record label."

I had the Rachmaninov tape from the same company, Isle of dead and three Russian songs for choir and orchestra conducted by Svetlanov. It was also good and worth its price but this one is better. I can still recommend both of them. The great music and performance, exclusive packaging, clear provenance and good pricing makes these worth having for me.

I will be getting the two more tapes from them, the Mozart Symphony 25 Barshai/Moscow Chamber Orchestra(1965) and Tchaikovsky Symphony 2 Svetlanov/USSR State Symphony(1967)

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 19

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have just received and listened to this 15ips 2 track tape. I liked it very much and it is better sounding than my vinyl reissue from Testament. I never had the original issue or the ERC reissue so I can not compare to those. This tape run is limited to 50 dubs in total and I have the number 12. It is an official release and here is what I have learned from the company about the provenance. I quote;

"Record of Kogan was created by Columbia, but at 1959 they gave license and dub of original to Melodiya for release.
Now, that tape is issued by Reel to Reel tapes Russia under license and under agreement with Melodiya record label."

I had the Rachmaninov tape from the same company, Isle of dead and three Russian songs for choir and orchestra conducted by Svetlanov. It was also good and worth its price but this one is better. I can still recommend both of them. The great music and performance, exclusive packaging, clear provenance and good pricing makes these worth having for me.

I will be getting the two more tapes from them, the Mozart Symphony 25 Barshai/Moscow Chamber Orchestra(1965) and Tchaikovsky Symphony 2 Svetlanov/USSR State Symphony(1967)
I believe this one is conducted by Constantin Sylvestri. The pace is a little more romantic. I like one with Russian Conductor, Vassilli Nebolsin. This version is more dramatic and faster pace really bring out the Kogan Style. It is also under Melodiya label. Highly recommended. Listen to it and you will loose yourself doing conductor gesture.

Can you tell me how to buy this tape. I wish to have one. The sound should be terrific.

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I believe this one is conducted by Constantin Sylvestri. The pace is a little more romantic. I like one with Russian Conductor, Vassilli Nebolsin. This version is more dramatic and faster pace really bring out the Kogan Style. It is also under Melodiya label. Highly recommended. Listen to it and you will loose yourself doing conductor gesture.

Can you tell me how to buy this tape. I wish to have one. The sound should be terrific.

Great, I will be getting that!

You can buy the tape through here; https://reel-to-reel-tapes-russia.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Reactions: Tango

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Great concerto and the master tapes make it more special.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The tape is able to be on one reel because they didn't include the companion piece, the Tchaikovsky Meditation which is on the original EMI SAX 2323 recording. That is very good compromise IMHO, saving a couple of hundred euros.

The original SAX 2323 blue/silver is super crazy expensive on the used market (as are all of the EMI Columbia SAX original Kogan releases). That is one of the reasons that Electric Recording Company has chosen many of the EMI Columbia Kogans for their expensive reissues. The ERC's were cheap compared to even a second label red magic notes copy, but now go for lower four figure prices on the secondary market. My only Kogan original blue/silver is the Tchaikovsky, and it has a light scratch on one side. I paid 25 GPB for it 20+ years ago. Near mint copies of original blue/silvers of any of the Kogans are in the high four figures in USD occasionally reaching $10K USD these days.

Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have the Kogan ERC. The testament is pretty poor.

This was the best of the ERC along with the Magda Tagliaferro. I didn't like any of the other ERCs at least till two summers ago, haven't heard the ones after that

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing