Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
@dminches
@LL21
@oldmustang
@rbbert
@(anyone else on the bus)
@(anyone else interested)

i'm about to hire my daughter to scour the internet for images for some of my live music collection.

i'm especially looking for images of live concert posters to use as 'album covers' for the numerous live non-commercial shows in my music collection. while the dead are a major part of the collection, there are many many other live shows that i hope to find images for.
if concert posters are not available, sometimes music traders have created their own very creative 'album covers'

before i send my daughter off into the ether(net), are you aware of any websites that would be a good source for images of either live concert posters or other images that might be appropriate? wolfgangs.com sells a lot of classic posters, so they are one source i'm aware of. are there any other aggregators out there that could be alternatives to googling "bandname concert poster'?

1620941063407.png 1620941100223.png 1620941182962.png

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
@dminches
@LL21
@oldmustang
@rbbert

i'm about to hire my daughter to scour the internet for images for some of my live music collection.

i'm especially looking for images of live concert posters to use as 'album covers' for the numerous live non-commercial shows in my music collection. while the dead are a major part of the collection, there are many many other live shows that i hope to find images for.
if concert posters are not available, sometimes music traders have created their own very creative 'album covers'

before i send my daughter off into the ether(net), are you aware of any websites that would be a good source for images of either live concert posters or other images that might be appropriate? wolfgangs.com sells a lot of classic posters, so they are one source i'm aware of. are there any other aggregators out there that could be alternatives to googling "bandname concert poster'?

View attachment 77965 View attachment 77966 View attachment 77967

So you want the new TAS (LMS free) backend to store these works of art ?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@dmance et al: to the extent you folks are familiar with the Chord MScaler and Dave, is a possible variation with the SRC-DX to use USB from Extreme, into converter, and dual SPDIF in to the MScaler? Then, dual SPDIF into Dave?

That bypasses Amanaro in the MScaler, and if that device upsamples to 705/768 does it de facto not require the Dave processing? If so, I get double-stuff from the converter.

I am not finding detailed processing/throughput functionality in these devices, so thank you, if you folks know. I don't recall seeing this on the Chord threads elsewhere. The MScaler allows dual BNC in.

Thanks for info on this esoteric use case.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

i don't think so.
i just want to use it the same as album cover art, with a jpg stored in the folder with the music.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@dminches
@LL21
@oldmustang
@rbbert

View attachment 77965 View attachment 77966 View attachment 77967

If you go to Deadlists.com and type in a date that the grateful dead played you may find a link to posters and ticket stubs for that show.

I also use https://albumartexchange.com/ for cover art but that is more traditional art.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
@dmance et al: to the extent you folks are familiar with the Chord MScaler and Dave, is a possible variation with the SRC-DX to use USB from Extreme, into converter, and dual SPDIF in to the MScaler? Then, dual SPDIF into Dave?

That bypasses Amanaro in the MScaler, and if that device upsamples to 705/768 does it de facto not require the Dave processing? If so, I get double-stuff from the converter.

Interesting thought, to bypass Amanero on the input to the M-Scaler. It'll be good to get SQ findings on whether this also improves transients as the direct Extreme > DAVE case that Roy and I have tried.

The MScaler allows dual BNC in.

Actually, I'm not sure this is true. HMS allows DBNC out, and while it certainly has 2 SPDIF BNC inputs, there's nothing in the specs that says it accepts 16FS rates via these two inputs in "dual data mode."

But, since the rates you'll be passing at this interface are native — i.e. 1FS (Redbook) to 8FS (DXD) — you should only need a single BNC from SRC-DX to the HMS.

No idea if this is supported. Hopefully @dmance will confirm.

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
If you go to Deadlists.com and type in a date that the grateful dead played you may find a link to posters and ticket stubs for that show.

I also use https://albumartexchange.com/ for cover art but that is more traditional art.

thanks!
i hadn't thought about using ticket stubs as well as the concert posters.
that will be my backup strategy.

by the way, does anyone know what the naming convention is (or will be) for a jpg file (contained in a music folder, not embedded into the music files) to be used as album art?
is it folder.jpg, cover.jpg, something else?

which raises another question: is it preferable to have the album art separate in the album's folder and not embedded in the individual tracks? is there a SQ difference?

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
HMS allows DBNC out, and while it certainly has 2 SPDIF BNC inputs, there's nothing in the specs that says it accepts 16FS rates via these two inputs in "dual data mode."
Per Chord support channel today: the two BNC inputs do NOT function as "dual inputs." Cheers...

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Per Chord support channel today: the two BNC inputs do NOT function as "dual inputs." Cheers...

Which is fine, since you don't need to send 16FS to the Mscaler, just native sample rates of 1 to 8FS. All you need to know now is whether the SRC-DX bridge can output 1 to 8FS to a single BNC out.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
thanks!
i hadn't thought about using ticket stubs as well as the concert posters.
that will be my backup strategy.

by the way, does anyone know what the naming convention is (or will be) for a jpg file (contained in a music folder, not embedded into the music files) to be used as album art?
is it folder.jpg, cover.jpg, something else?

which raises another question: is it preferable to have the album art separate in the album's folder and not embedded in the individual tracks? is there a SQ difference?

answering my own question, which of course leads to some new ones :)

@taiko: will you be following this methodology in your new TAS server?
if i interpret this correctly, i could have an album.jpg, poster.jpg and ticket.jpg (or any combination) and set an order
by which one would be selected for display (see below)

the most relevant part is reproduced below:

Technical details​

For each place in the skin that references a large cover art image, the Squeezebox Server software performs the following search:
  • Search in the current music directory for (in order):
    1. cover.jpg, cover.gif,
    2. folder.jpg, folder.gif,
    3. album.jpg, album.gif,
    4. thumb.jpg, thumb.gif,
    5. albumartsmall.jpg, albumartsmall.gif
Squeezebox Server will use the first image file located in this search. For the smaller, thumbnail image, a similar search is performed, except that the list is reversed, searching for thumb first. Specifically:
  • Search in the current music directory for (in order):
    1. thumb.jpg, thumb.gif,
    2. albumartsmall.jpg, albumartsmall.gif,
    3. cover.jpg, cover.gif,
    4. album.jpg, album.gif,
    5. folder.jpg, folder.gif
Squeezebox Server looks in the same path as the song, thus you would be looking for the same artfile in this case. However there is an option in Server Settings, Additional, Interface for setting filenames for Artwork, Artwork Thumbnail, and for setting a central location for artwork files. You can enter a specific filename if you use something not found in the list (eg, artwork.jpg). You may also create filenames based on song variables. If your first character is %, the server then parses the rest of the string as an InfoFormat, the same as title format is created.

/IMPORTANT: If you change this filename setting or if you have added or changed any artwork files to existing albums, you must use the rescan option Clear library and rescan everything to see your updates. Overnight scans won't do it. Go to Home - Server Settings and look for the rescan options. It can be wise to clean up your cache folder using the Squeezebox Server Control Panel (Squeezebox Server 7.4+) advanced settings tab, which will also trigger a complete rescan./

As an example of a setup using custom artwork filenames, you could create a single directory of songs and name all your artwork as artist-album.jpg. For this, enter a setting of

%ARTIST-ALBUM.jpg

for Artwork or Artwork Thumbnail in the server settings section. The extension can be specified for any server supported format, .jpg is assumed if no extension is given.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

ed

i guess i'm hoping at least a subset of the lms functionality is maintained so that various image types can be used as cover art.
it seems lms already has a lot of capability there that i was not aware of (see above)

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Hi, need help from the expert community on this forum. I have the SGM EVo and have upgraded to Roon Version 1.8 ( still waiting for Emile to get us EVO owners to TAS , hopefully soon ). I use Jplay and the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and DAC. Now when I play a song , I can see the track is playing in Roon but there is no sound and within 30 seconds it jumps to the next song. Switching the EVo off helps sometimes and then this repeats itself. Would love to hear if anyone else also faced and fixed this issue. I use USB to connect EVo to the Upsampler. This had happened a year back too after an upgrade and then went away. Hopefully once we get TAS on EVO I will be with Taiko on both the hardware and software and can rely on their great products and absolutely excellent service of Taiko. My interactions with Emile and team have always been absolutely brilliant. Thank you

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
Just a thought, by I was wondering if it might make sense to implement on the Extreme a triple tap behavior which would disable the Startech SFP module / LAN traffic, and another triple tap would re-enable it? I have personally dropped the network switch battle, and on the other hand disabling / pulling out the optical patch whilst playing an album doesn’t require much effort and solves everything. It removes an edge that is small but makes the difference between a fully relaxed listening session and a somewhat fatiguing or tense experience, hard to convey.

PS: many thanks Ed btw your tip on the latest asio drivers for the src-dx solved my problem completely!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi, need help from the expert community on this forum. I have the SGM EVo and have upgraded to Roon Version 1.8 ( still waiting for Emile to get us EVO owners to TAS , hopefully soon ). I use Jplay and the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and DAC. Now when I play a song , I can see the track is playing in Roon but there is no sound and within 30 seconds it jumps to the next song. Switching the EVo off helps sometimes and then this repeats itself. Would love to hear if anyone else also faced and fixed this issue. I use USB to connect EVo to the Upsampler. This had happened a year back too after an upgrade and then went away. Hopefully once we get TAS on EVO I will be with Taiko on both the hardware and software and can rely on their great products and absolutely excellent service of Taiko. My interactions with Emile and team have always been absolutely brilliant. Thank you
Hi Pinu,

Send an email to support@taikoaudio.com with times when we can TeamViewer in to your Evo to take a look.

Best Regards

Ed

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Just a thought, by I was wondering if it might make sense to implement on the Extreme a triple tap behavior which would disable the Startech SFP module / LAN traffic, and another triple tap would re-enable it? I have personally dropped the network switch battle, and on the other hand disabling / pulling out the optical patch whilst playing an album doesn’t require much effort and solves everything. It removes an edge that is small but makes the difference between a fully relaxed listening session and a somewhat fatiguing or tense experience, hard to convey.

PS: many thanks Ed btw your tip on the latest asio drivers for the src-dx solved my problem completely!
Problem is after one has turned off the NIC, the App on the iPad/iPhone can not talk to the Extreme any more.

The App will have locked itself out. Even a reboot might not turn the NIC on again.

To get back in to the Extreme, you would need to hook up a screen and keyboard LoL

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please help! Roon performed an upgrade some days ago and now every time I play an album at the end it goes on playing an horrible music chosen by Roon! How do I disable this feature?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Please help! Roon performed an upgrade some days ago and now every time I play an album at the end it goes on playing an horrible music chosen by Roon! How do I disable this feature?

If you look at the queue there is a Roon radio button which you should able to turn off.

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
Problem is after one has turned off the NIC, the App on the iPad/iPhone can not talk to the Extreme any more.

The App will have locked itself out. Even a reboot might not turn the NIC on again.

To get back in to the Extreme, you would need to hook up a screen and keyboard LoL
Ouch! I barely remember when I last used a wired keyboard and a screen lol need to get those in my survival kit in case something goes wrong :)

dmance

I am not finding detailed processing/throughput functionality in these devices, so thank you, if you folks know. I don't recall seeing this on the Chord threads elsewhere. The MScaler allows dual BNC in.

Thanks for info on this esoteric use case.
For your suggestion, I would say TOSLINK (@24/192) to MSCALER input has the best chance of sounding most transparent, pragmatically speaking, due to the optical galvanic isolation and avoidance of whatever noise the Amanero is adding to the mix.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing