System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A dear friend of mine in Manhattan would like to purchase a brand new stereo system for his apartment.

-- loudspeakers

-- phono stage

-- line stage

-- amplifier

-- or integrated

-- turntable/tonearm/cartridge

He wants a turntable, but would prefer a clip-in cartridge which does not require alignment. He would like a system where he could just himself pop in a replacement cartridge. Does such a thing exist and which also provides good audio quality?

The speakers can be stand mounts or floor-standers.

Subjectively, he likes a system on the slightly warm-balanced side; nothing sterile or clinical or dry.

Please put together complete systems with a total MSRP under US$10,000 that I can submit to him for his review.

Thank you!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This sounded good in Munich. See if you get it used. Someone else can advise on the TT with clip on.

the benefit of this system is also that he does not have to think, just buy whole package.

You could always think about sourcing one speaker, another amp etc but then he gets into the trap

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I assume solid state as apposed to tube ? It would be useful if you could elaborate .

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Have we been here before ?

$10k doesn't go as far as it did.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
VIENNA ACOUSTICS

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand Floorstanding Speakers; Pair​

$2,496.59

Gold Note IS-1000 Streaming Stereo Integrated Amplifier; Gold; Deluxe; MM/MC Phono​

$4,018.57

Clearaudio Concept AiR Turntable​

$2,500.00

AudioQuest Rocket 44 Speaker Cables; 12ft Pair Spade​

$449.00
To this I would add. an ortofon m2 Black and that's it. For the head line, being your friend you can take care of it
The prices are taken from a well-known store located in Colorado

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
KLH Model 5 -$2,500

Technics SL-1500C $1,300 (includes mounted Ortofon Red Cartridge - can be upgraded to Blue by switching stylus)

Marantz Model 40n Integrated Amp $2,500

Marantz 30n SACD/CD Player/streamer - $3,000

Without accounting for tax, it leaves a few hundred for decent cables.

This is simple, plug and play, enjoyable, not idiosyncratic and covers all source formats but tape...

Last edited:
Reactions: gleeds

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Project with Detachable headshell MM/MC or even SPU
100s of matching phono stages / sspeakers / cables / stands in dozens of colours
if required in the future matching cd players . streamers etc
10MM blob (14).jpg cc36 the-classic-1-1024x684.jpg 24ss pro-ject_sarte.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
KLH Model 5 -$2,500

Technics SL-1500C $1,300 (includes mounted Ortofon Red Cartridge - can be upgraded to Blue by switching stylus)

Marantz Model 40n Integrated Amp $2,500

Marantz 30n SACD/CD Player/streamer - $3,000

Without accounting for tax, it leaves a few hundred for decent cables.

This is simple, plug and play, enjoyable, not idiosyncratic and covers all source formats but tape...
Thank you, no digital or streamer is wanted by my friend

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thorens td 1601 with ortofon 2mm bronce or better cart van beethoven 2mm black
Musical fidelity m6si amp with mm/mc phono
Joachim gerhard collection speaker surveyor
Cable kimber 8tc .
Love that sound

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A dear friend of mine in Manhattan would like to purchase a brand new stereo system for his apartment.

-- loudspeakers

-- phono stage

-- line stage

-- amplifier

-- or integrated

-- turntable/tonearm/cartridge

He wants a turntable, but would prefer a clip-in cartridge which does not require alignment. He would like a system where he could just himself pop in a replacement cartridge. Does such a thing exist and which also provides good audio quality?

The speakers can be stand mounts or floor-standers.

Subjectively, he likes a system on the slightly warm-balanced side; nothing sterile or clinical or dry.

Please put together complete systems with a total MSRP under US$10,000 that I can submit to him for his review.

Thank you!
You might look at the new Kii 7 system for $4k which would be active speaker with DAC, then add a $4k table and cart. Spend $1k on decent cables and power cable.

Reactions: gleeds

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Luxman integrateds have phono, so that plus speakers and a Rega or Technics should be good.
What speakers would you recommend for something on the slightly warm, slightly smooth side of things?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Luxman integrateds have phono, so that plus speakers and a Rega or Technics should be good.
Thank you, Keith!

Which is the least expensive Luxman integrated with phono?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With Rega Planar 3?

Which cartridge?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would buy for myself the following, but I’m not sure your friend would want to deal with used gear.

used VPI record cleaning machine. $300
Vintage Denon DD table with stock arm and vintage MM cartridge. $1700
Refurbished Fisher or Scott integrated or even monos and full pre with phono. $3500
Used Klipsh, JBL or Mitsubishi Diatone speakers. $4250
Stock power cords and radio shack RCA’s and speaker cable. $100
Cartridge set up tools. $150
Thank you, Peter. But, no, my friend does not want to deal with vintage or used components.

Please see opening post: ". . . friend of mine in Manhattan would like to purchase a brand new . . ." (emphasis added).

He does not want to learn cartridge set-up and alignment. That is why I wrote: "He would like a system where he could just himself pop in a replacement cartridge."

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The McIntosh Integrated Turntable with a pair of Sonus Faber Sonetto IIs on stands lists for $9998.

The TT is actually an integrated amp/TT combo. I’m pretty sure the cartridge is already set up, though it is not a P-mount

$7000

$2998

Small footprint. No muss, no fuss. All on warranty. NYC McIntosh dealer will probably deliver it and set it in place for free.

Here’s a review of the MTI100

The McIntosh and SF dealer in Manhattan is House of Sound.

Last edited:

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
Rega P3 + Exact : about 1595$
Rega Aria : about 1695$
Rega Elex mk4 : about 1875$
Rega Saturn : about 3400$
Dynaudio Evoke 30 : about 1995$

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
How about this system;

Klipsch Heresy IV
Technics SU-G700M2
Technics SL-1200GR
Ortofon 2M Black

These's plenty of headroom for the cables he would need. Pretty much a one time set up with the cartridge, then he can replace the sylus when he wears it out. If that's too intimidating tell him I'd come over and set the cartridge up for him.

If he wants bookshelf speakers there are also plenty of options in the Heresy price range.

Beau

Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing