American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

The SAT didn’t sound right on the AS at tang’s. It sounded right on the Techdas. Overall, I too did not find anything particularly better with the SAT Opus that was more musical. And staying with the SME seemed the logical choice. I don’t like the axiom either.

but that is like comparing a Devore or Martin Logan hybrid to XVX or Rockport. I prefer the school of Devore or MLs, does not mean there are not better speakers in that school of thinking. I definitely see no reason to buy a SAT over an SME, but there could be other arms, and certainly there is an arm cart synergy with no universal arm.

Sure. But before speculating on what arm would be best on this new turntable, if we ever see the data and it doesn’t remain private, it will be fascinating to see what arms are chosen by the owners, whom I strongly suspect will not simply be following the “edict from the master”. They will each choose which arm or arms they prefer.

And they may well prioritize other aspects of reproduction than does David who singles out the qualities of bass reproduction, space and scale with the 3012R as setting it apart in his experience.

I would assume that customers for The Absolute Nothing are likely to buy into the philosophical approach to the high end that comes with it as well. This will limit ventures into pairing with other design approaches.

Al, have you looked at the four or five installation threads in David’s sub forum about the systems with the AS 2000? There’s quite a variety of speakers and electronics. They are not all like David‘s orTang’s. Rockitman’s is very different. And Mike and Ron ordered the turntable with very different approaches.

Assumption Al , if DDK had such a strict limited vision/ approach he wouldnt sell the TT with 4 armboards.
It only adds cost

The four arm boards also allow owners to play with different cartridges. I only use two with the same arm and different cartridges. If I had more mono records, I would get a third arm with a mono cartridge.

They are all SME armboards.

The first customer has two SME arms from his AS1000, and I think is adding a third to his new table. Customers can order the turntable with whatever arm cut out they want. We are only looking at photographs of the first turntable for the first customer.

David likes a variety of cartridges. These turntable designs offer choices for the customer. It’s part of his design philosophy. I always wanted a second arm option on my old SME Model 30/12 table, but they are all one arm tables.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsina2
If I were buying a turntable of this caliber, I would be buying the designer’s design philosophy, as well as his skills and ears in tuning the sound of the final products! So, if the designer highly recommend a particular arm, I trust there must be certain synergy between the two products, and I would certainly install one on the turntable as a reference.

Of course, since 4 arms could be installed at the same time, I would also try other arms to find the best combinations to my ears.

If I were buying a turntable of this caliber, I would be buying the designer’s design philosophy, as well as his skills and ears in tuning the sound of the final products! So, if the designer highly recommend a particular arm, I trust there must be certain synergy between the two products, and I would certainly install one on the turntable as a reference.

Of course, since 4 arms could be installed at the same time, I would also try other arms to find the best combinations to my ears.

then the question becomes, are you buying a TT, or are you buying a system? If you have heard the whole system, and prefer it to other whole systems you have heard, and are buying the system, that makes sense.

Reactions: lordcloud
And I think this was after having the Axiom set up properly by its designer, though it might have been the SAT.

Yes, Tang had Brakemeir set up the Axiom. And he sold the SAT.

Many people have seen how I have been keeping the SME playing with the vdh while other modern arms kept leaving my arm base.

I really miss having Tang on the forum.

Two great threads from the glory days of WBF:

...me too. And I don't even own a TT.

I don t own one either , i have enough mechanical problems in my day job lol
What made/ makes WBF great is the input of members like tang with ultimate systems / investments /experience and system pics / videos to go along with it.
Those days with DDK and Tang present were indeed the glory days .
It shows that there is another way to enjoy HIFI besides the usual HIFI marketing
No need for 50 K cables , Cat litter boxes and what not

Last edited:
There is not much more to learn or discuss here.

Then why work so hard continuing to promote this thread ?

This is merely yet another of the ceaseless ploys in order to market *Brand Karmeli* … thinly disguised behind an infomercial !

Last edited:
The SAT didn’t sound right on the AS at tang’s. It sounded right on the Techdas. Overall, I too did not find anything particularly better with the SAT Opus that was more musical. And staying with the SME seemed the logical choice. I don’t like the axiom either.

but that is like comparing a Devore or Martin Logan hybrid to XVX or Rockport. I prefer the school of Devore or MLs, does not mean there are not better speakers in that school of thinking. I definitely see no reason to buy a SAT over an SME, but there could be other arms, and certainly there is an arm cart synergy with no universal arm.
Why does the 3012 seem to be the right choice?

You usually write a lot about tonearms and are very clear about which arm is good - better - best with which cartridge. Why should the 3012 be absolutely top on the AS?

What don't you like about the Axiom? Some people would swap their favorite lady for it! :D

Reactions: Young Skywalker
Why does the 3012 seem to be the right choice?

You usually write a lot about tonearms and are very clear about which arm is good - better - best with which cartridge. Why should the 3012 be absolutely top on the AS?

What don't you like about the Axiom? Some people would swap their favorite lady for it! :D

Hi, I haven't said 3012r was the right choice. 3012r is good value for money. I said compared with SAT and axiom it was preferred. I also gave the Devore XVX analogy to relate to 3012r SAT. I have separately written that I also compared Schroeder LT to the 33k SAT model (that was the first SAT) and preferred the LT.

I find the Axiom boring and dead sounding. I have heard it with Palladian too, and compared the Palladian with the lowest model of that line cart on Axiom, and in another system heard axiom with Zyx Omega. Also, Audioquattr had the Axiom, apart from 3012rs, Ikeda 407, Graham Phantom elite, and Vyger.

Reactions: Verdier

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing