SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Anyone have similar experience with SOtM SNH10G switch and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL,
The fibre module doesn't work after a reboot.
I'm required to disconnect/reconnect the module everytime
I have the same behavior on my switch . its only with this model I have this issue

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Anyone have similar experience with SOtM SNH10G switch and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL,
The fibre module doesn't work after a reboot.
I'm required to disconnect/reconnect the module everytime
Given that you are using a 10Gbe-capable SFP+ module in the 1Gbe-only SFP port of the SOtM switch, your problem most assuredly has to do with whatever device is at the other end of that connection. After reboot that other device is likely trying to connect at 10Gbe since it senses the FTLX1475D3BTL is capable of that.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Given that you are using a 10Gbe-capable SFP+ module in the 1Gbe-only SFP port of the SOtM switch, your problem most assuredly has to do with whatever device is at the other end of that connection. After reboot that other device is likely trying to connect at 10Gbe since it senses the FTLX1475D3BTL is capable of that.
my reported behaviour happens when I am connecting two sotm switches using a 10gbe module

audiophilac1

Dec 11, 2021
tested with two switches, both ends are same transceivers.
One of the switch's port limited is limited to 1gbps and another is a 1gbps switch (mikrotik RB260GS)
I've no issue with eR, and same for my buddy too (lent him my eR (and mikrotik))

another question, is there some sort of separation (electrical?) between ports 1-4, 5-8?
wondering if there's a difference if streamer (ethernet cable) was connected to port 4/5 while fiber uplink is connected to port 9 (SFP)

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hey guys - not sure if I missed this, but is anyone grounding their Sotm switch and if so, did you find it an improvement and where did you attach the grounding cable on the switch?

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Here is an image showing in red where to apply any ground cable to the Sotm switch - I hope this helps…
I think the image got miss placed...

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
I have just installed the following fibre cable between my 2 SoTM switches and it sounds really good.

Finisar® FCBG110SD1CA5 Active Optical Cable (AOC)

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Reactions: auricgoldfinger

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I have just installed the following fibre cable between my 2 SoTM switches and it sounds really good.

Finisar® FCBG110SD1CA5 Active Optical Cable (AOC)
orange55, may I ask where you purchased the Finisar SFP and AOC? I would like to try this in between my pair of
SoTM switches

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London

abase21

Jul 19, 2022
I got it from here. I ordered the 3m version, hence the last digits are different. 03 = 3meters.

..thank you for the tip ;-) - there is a clear improvement in my audio
Before I was using the things from ADOT

--I don't use it for the daisy chain - I use it for the ADOT
At the moment I have only one SOTM sNH-10g Switch, but I plan to change it....

Reactions: orange55

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I am going to daisy chain two 10G switches. My question is, do we have a consensus if the switches should be connected by ethernet cable, or fiber? I read in another review that May Park of SOTM says SOTM's recommended daisy chain is as follows, so optical in to the first switch then connect the switches via ethernet (the same article mentioned RJ45 ports on the 10G are the better sounding ports):

SOTM Daisy Chain.jpeg

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I tried fiber between an EtherRegen and SOtM with unsatisfactory results. Used several SFP’s and cables, tried single and multi mode.
I’m open to try it again before the ER and SOtM.

Reactions: Blake

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I am going to daisy chain two 10G switches. My question is, do we have a consensus if the switches should be connected by ethernet cable, or fiber?
Fiber worked best for me when I was daisy-chaining the SoTM.

Reactions: Blake and orange55

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
@rDin
Can you share the SFP’s and cable.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
I am going to daisy chain two 10G switches. My question is, do we have a consensus if the switches should be connected by ethernet cable, or fiber? I read in another review that May Park of SOTM says SOTM's recommended daisy chain is as follows, so optical in to the first switch then connect the switches via ethernet (the same article mentioned RJ45 ports on the 10G are the better sounding ports):

View attachment 102295
I tried fibre and Ethernet and Fibre was the clear winner.
The Ethernet cable I used was a Chord Company Sarum Super array.
The fibre was this one. https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/II-VI-Finisar/FCBG110SD1C03?qs=pBN/bMTRZdcL3HgZpizBqQ== has built in SPF’s.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Blake

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing