SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Also tried EtherRegen > SOtM > ENO Ag. It did not work well for me. Thin and lacking low bass.
I have a question, would really appreciate your input, either personal experience or not. My SOtM switch has the internal clock upgrade with the external clock connector. Has anybody experienced if using an external clock improves the sound significantly? Which clock?

Two weeks ago I upgraded the electric power by making a dedicated connection. The new electric cable made the sound super forward and too much highs. Panicked for a while, but it took two weeks to improve. The system gained clarity.

You guys made me curious in regards of the order of the setup. It will make me busy this weekend testing:

1) Fiber/Finisar> SOtM> Ether Regen> ENO> EMM Labs NS1> Meiter MA3
2) Copper Ethernet> SOtM> Fibe/Finisar> EtherRegen> ENO> EMM Labs NS1> Meiter MA3
vs current:

*) Fiber/Finisar> EtherRegen> Using Telegartner copper ethernet cable to SOtM> > ENO> EMM Labs NS1> etc.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
A good clock can make a big big difference. I use a Mutec Ref10 for both the EtherRegen and SOtM as one needs a 50 Ohm and the other 75 Ohm input.

Reactions: vgmbpty

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
You guys made me curious in regards of the order of the setup. It will make me busy this weekend testing:

2) Copper Ethernet> SOtM> Fibe/Finisar> EtherRegen> ENO> EMM Labs NS1> Meiter MA3
Well, I did try Etheregen > Sotm > Eno Ag (both Sotm and etheregen have their separate LPS). In my system, this did not sound as good. It was a tad bright, small in sound stage and bit more noise. The bass was little tighter though. All in all, I prefer my old set up and went back to Sotm > etheregen > Eno Ag. It tells how different each system is, and how different combination can work for some and not others.
You are all correct. Cannot explain if it was the new electric installation, fuses or how I tested , the last time, but the first configuration Fiber> SOtM> Odin Ethernet cable> EtherRegen> ENO Ag is sounding better . Thank you for the tip.

Last edited:

aubreyBobb

Apr 22, 2021
I have a question, would really appreciate your input, either personal experience or not. My SOtM switch has the internal clock upgrade with the external clock connector. Has anybody experienced if using an external clock improves the sound significantly? Which clock?

Two weeks ago I upgraded the electric power by making a dedicated connection. The new electric cable made the sound super forward and too much highs. Panicked for a while, but it took two weeks to improve. The system gained clarity.

vs current:

*) Fiber/Finisar> EtherRegen> Using Telegartner copper ethernet cable to SOtM> > ENO> EMM Labs NS1> etc.
Hi,

I use a similar system with fiber optic (finnisar) to SOTM from NAS and Copper from Router. But instead of 1, have two etherregen switches in the cascade feeding a dCS network bridge. My DAC's are in the speakers and have no external clocking options.

I found the top of the line Finnisar/fiber combination blew away the copper (Wireworld chroma Cat 8).

I recently added an emperor double crown clock OCXO (dCS version) to the system. This has the 2 wordclock out's for the dCS and 4 extra 10M outs.

External clocking to the NB was a major step up, as was the subsequent upgrade of clock cable (duelund silver custom - reasonable price) over the supplied belden cable. This cable upgrade was almost as much as adding the external clock.

The upgrade to the switches was not so large. Due to the 'moat' in the ER, its a very tricky implementation with these switches. The common ground from the clock breaks the moats in most combinations, so by trial and error (and some guidance on audiophilestyle) I found the best result was external clocking on the 2nd ER only. Adding the clock cable to either the SOTM or first ER resulted in a slight drop off in quality.

I only had the belden cable to experiment with for the switches but am trying to get duelund for these also.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Aubrey

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I found the top of the line Finnisar/fiber combination blew away the copper (Wireworld chroma Cat 8).

I recently added an emperor double crown clock OCXO (dCS version) to the system. This has the 2 wordclock out's for the dCS and 4 extra 10M outs.

I had a similar journey. I also had Wireworld Chroma at one time and thought it delivered a really good bang for the buck. I now have a span of fiber in its place with a Sonore opticalModule upstream and an EtherRegen downstream. The SFPs are older models from Finisar, which did the best job of vanishing amongst the half-dozen or so I tried.

A Mutec REF10 clock landed here last week. This brought a really nice lift to the EtherRegen and an even bigger lift to my DAC (Gustard X26pro). The clock cables are both from Shunyata.

I was pretty stunned by what I heard from streaming when I first enabled the external clock for the EtherRegen. It wasn't subtle. Jay did a great job of explaining what he heard from the REF10 in his review here. I suspect it describes what you hear from your Emperor Double Crown clock too, as the phase noise measurements are pretty close.

aubreyBobb

Apr 22, 2021
I had a similar journey. I also had Wireworld Chroma at one time and thought it delivered a really good bang for the buck. I now have a span of fiber in its place with a Sonore opticalModule upstream and an EtherRegen downstream. The SFPs are older models from Finisar, which did the best job of vanishing amongst the half-dozen or so I tried.

A Mutec REF10 clock landed here last week. This brought a really nice lift to the EtherRegen and an even bigger lift to my DAC (Gustard X26pro). The clock cables are both from Shunyata.

I was pretty stunned by what I heard from streaming when I first enabled the external clock for the EtherRegen. It wasn't subtle. Jay did a great job of explaining what he heard from the REF10 in his review here. I suspect it describes what you hear from your Emperor Double Crown clock too, as the phase noise measurements are pretty close.
Kenny,

Very interesting. I guess what I can take away from this is that we have both found that good sfp/fibre blows away mid level copper. Also that I should try a better clock cable for my etherregen.

Jay's review pretty much nails it. One more thing to be added. In my system the grunge on Moody Blues recordings has been lowered to to be an almost non factor, and the slight wow/flutter on Steely Dan's Gaucho has vanished,. These distortions really bothered me, especially since I loved the music.

Thanks

Aubrey

Reactions: kennyb123

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I have a Mutec REF10 on an ER and SOtM and it is very beneficial for quietness and timing and presence. I had Finisar/Finisar between the ER and SOtM and very recently went back to a SOtM dcbl-cat7 and to me the copper is much sweeter and richer with the low end much more fleshed out. I will look for a way to put the fiber back before the ER and SOtM. I found putting the SOtM closest to my streamer best with copper and the other way with fiber.

Reactions: kennyb123

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
No need for Gigafoil. Just get the SOTM switch with the clock input, and connect that in your MSB clock output.
Has anyone else tried this? SOTM stated directly that their clock input on the switch is only for 10M master clock, not only will the 44/48khz clock signal from MSB not work, it will introduce additional noise.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Has anyone else tried this? SOTM stated directly that their clock input on the switch is only for 10M master clock, not only will the 44/48khz clock signal from MSB not work, it will introduce additional noise.
Must agree with you.
I tried this with Buffalo/ Melco swiches and installing the Clock inside the switch is so much better , and cheaper.
You can afford to get the PinkFaun ultra clocks
With external clocks most of their benefits are LOST with the distance ( 1 m versus 1 cm ) and PLL that is required to recieve the signal.
Only local clocks make sense.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Finally got hold of the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL from Mouser today. They were out of stock for so long.
I can confirm that they work without issues between a mikrotik CRS305 and sotm switch. I set auto negotiation off and set it for 1Gb

Last edited:

HTMUSIC

Jan 16, 2022
Hi I'm new comer in this forum. I'm a owner of dCS Bartok+ DAC. Current my system configuration is as follows.
Internet router -> Audio grade metal LAN cable -> SOtM sNH-10G SE -> optical LAN cable -> SOtM sNH-10G SE with cybershaft OP20A -> Audio grade metal LAN cable -> Audio PC with JCAT USB Card XE -> dCS Bartok+ -> Amp -> Speakers
I'm happy with SQ of the above setting.
However, in dCS forum many people recommend that Rossini Clock with Bartok is very good. And then I should try Rossini DAC as next grade up.
The price of Rossini clock is now about $14K (too expensive). I haven't demoed Rossini clock and don't have any chance to do it in my country.
Please kindly advise if it is worth introducing Rossini clock of $14K into my system.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi HTMUSIC,
You may consider spending more and replace the Bartok with a Rossini DAC.
The improvement is significantly larger.
My 2 cents.

HTMUSIC

Jan 16, 2022
Hi HTMUSIC,
You may consider spending more and replace the Bartok with a Rossini DAC.
The improvement is significantly larger.
My 2 cents.
Thank you very much for your prompt advice.
Unfortunately dCS has just increased their price of Rossini DAC to USD 39K (23%+ increase) from Feb.1st.
It's far over-budget now. I may need to find used one. Anyway thank you for your advice.

Nicktube

Dec 14, 2021
I have a Mutec REF10 on an ER and SOtM and it is very beneficial for quietness and timing and presence. I had Finisar/Finisar between the ER and SOtM and very recently went back to a SOtM dcbl-cat7 and to me the copper is much sweeter and richer with the low end much more fleshed out. I will look for a way to put the fiber back before the ER and SOtM. I found putting the SOtM closest to my streamer best with copper and the other way with fiber.
I have Provider modem> provider router > Meraki 220 with Audiophool oxco + Farad psu > Etherregen + Farad > Paul Pang platinum m cable > streamer

I have something like a AQ Forest between the modded Meraki and ER. (the distance is only 50cm or 2metres).

I have a hard time between choosing fiber with the preferred Finisars or a good copper cable. What would you suggest?

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
I have Provider modem> provider router > Meraki 220 with Audiophool oxco + Farad psu > Etherregen + Farad > Paul Pang platinum m cable > streamer

I have something like a AQ Forest between the modded Meraki and ER. (the distance is only 50cm or 2metres).

I have a hard time between choosing fiber with the preferred Finisars or a good copper cable. What would you suggest?
Each network is different, even with the same components. If I were you I would test the Finisar in two places. First between the Router and the Meraki. Then I would test between the Ether Regen and the Streamer.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020

When I dont hear a difference I will listen for 2-3 weeks too one and then 2-3 weeks with the other then change back. I can usually pick one after that.

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Something else I have been testing is changing the eR power from 12V to 9V. In my system, 9V gives me a more full-bodied sound, while 12V gives me more detail. As my system is very detailed already, I chose the 9V option.

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Hi guys, I have a question about the standard and upgraded versions of this Switch.

Earlier this month, I borrowed the standard Switch + standard PSU from a local distributor to try, and after hearing a clear improvement, I ordered the fully upgraded versions (Switch + PSU), and based on the boxes the specs are as follows:
- PSU: Silver DC Cable / SE-S / CAP / eABC
- Switch: sCLK-EX / 12V / MC75 / SE-S / EVOX / eABS

I received them earlier last week and when I replaced them with the loaner (standard), I was surprised that this upgraded version sounds brighter / harsher and not as full-bodied as the standard version.

Q.thumb.jpg.ef4d95f4788f8e33b14d495cf8d740d9.jpg
I stacked them and compared both with the same AC + LAN cables and the difference was very clear.

Units with gold badges are loaner (standard version) and units with silver badges are mine (upgraded).

I truly have no idea what might have caused this and below are my observation:

- Is it because of the voltage? The standard version uses 9V but mine uses 12V. I understand that if the external clock is installed, 12V is required... is this correct? Would voltage affect how the unit sound? What will happen if I reduce my voltage setting behind the PSU from 12V to 9V?

- Now mine have around 70-75 hours on them (both PSU and Switch) but still sound brighter than the loaner (that has countless hours on... possible thousands). How long would it take for the Switch / PSU to fully burn in?

- Is it possible that all the silver upgrades/components inside the black unit cause it to be bright?

Any suggestions or tips / settings I might try to make it sound more full would be appreciated!

FYI, I made sure to recheck the voltage setting of the PSU and both units were setup correctly (standard version with 9V and upgraded with 12V).

Thanks!

Reactions: Patatorz

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Hello, I’m thinking in investing in a sNH-10G with EX clock and external 10MHz clock input. I understand that there is option for 50 or 75 ohms. Owner of a Cybershaft OP21, i can use both 50 and 75 ohms. Seems SoTM recommend 50 Ohms but this solution is quite limited if i understand well in terms of cables. So, would you have any recommendation concerning 50 or 75 ohms ?
Other question, other options are possible like internal silver wiring etc…would you recommend such option ?

Thanks for your valuable feedbacks.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Pr, let it burn for a week. Then relisten. The demo unit may have hundreds of hours on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing