SET amp owners thread

And the 300B amps?

they are good but the 70 are quite better in terms of transparency, weight, nuance, musicality. The 300b have a bit of midrange texture. On the uni too the 70 was quite better

Reactions: christoph
Before I switch to the upgraded Circle Labs A100 here is my Crossfire III SET , Archie Shepp , vinyl from SteepleChase recording studio.
Ked said this one sounds good so I am bit more keen to post it here;)
No hocus-pocus, just simple Iphone 12 mini .

Hi,
What is the title of this recording? Tonality, timbre and musical flow and engagement are apparent even via less than ideal iPhone. Nice body of Archie’s tenor saxophone. Thanks for sharing that.
Charles

Last edited:
Hi,
What is the title of this recording? Tonality, timbre and musical flow and engagement are apparent even via less than ideal iPhone. Nice body of Archie’s tenor saxophone. Thanks for sharing that.
Charles
Hi Charles,
The title of the recording is Trouble in Mind, I am now out of home ,will check the title of this specific track after I am back.
Thank you for your kind words.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11453890-Archie-Shepp-Horace-Parlan-Trouble-In-Mind

Mariusz

they are good but the 70 are quite better in terms of transparency, weight, nuance, musicality. The 300b have a bit of midrange texture. On the uni too the 70 was quite better
It seems GM70 amps are on the rise. My GM70 amp has lots of nuance and transparency, with nice tonality but also tons of grunt. Do you know what input and driver tubes are being used in this design?

Before I switch to the upgraded Circle Labs A100 here is my Crossfire III SET , Archie Shepp , vinyl from SteepleChase recording studio.
Ked said this one sounds good so I am bit more keen to post it here;)
No hocus-pocus, just simple Iphone 12 mini .

I work tangentially to the music business and let me say that if someone sent me a iPhone video of a pianist playing live it wouldn't sound any different. Just an awesome setup.

It seems GM70 amps are on the rise. My GM70 amp has lots of nuance and transparency, with nice tonality but also tons of grunt. Do you know what input and driver tubes are being used in this design?

he has used 807 and now was using EL34 as uni needs bit more drive. He is flexible, can use other valves that have appropriate voltage. Also willing to tune gain with clients.

C7B57489-20D7-4A51-A389-BC1F8EB82849.jpeg

061739E9-E6F6-4E57-BCC6-AB65323A603C.jpeg

living Voice Air scouts, with Kondo Neiro 2a3 and compare with audio note empress silver 2a3. Grand Prix Parabolica with Viv Labs tonearm and Kondo IOM cart, KSL SFz SUT. The key difference across the two amps came from matching gains, Lee had bought his passive pre (will get details later) and we really needed to switch them to get the system to sound right with the AN to sound right as it was high gain.

later while listening with the Kondo chain again I realised these were excellent at low to loud mid volume, not fighting the room, totally coherent, great rise and fall, easy to listen to.

Lee’s audio note in future will make a trip to Bill’s place to continue the compare chain.

system was set up by Kevin Scott of living voice and was battery powered

0E36AFBF-8E41-45F1-BB0B-C0B2A2BB7FF8.jpeg0CEA9362-2836-4B5A-B8AA-F974FAF33C98.jpeg

Speaker had Vitavox S2 driver and 12 inch Vitavox woofer. JBL 2405 tweeter and Vitavox super tweeter

Last edited:
how long can he play on 2x230Ah?...AGMs shouldn´t be deep drained to more than 50% as far as I know, which leaves 230Ah

he said 4 hours, and then these things last for 10 years apparently

so the system pulls in excess of 55Amps an hour.......each poweramp maybe 200watt, less than 9 Amps each
what´s the biggest consumer? any active subs around?

so the system pulls in excess of 55Amps an hour.......easch poweramp maybe 200watt, less than 9 Amps each
what´s the biggest consumer? any active subs around?

No subs. These won’t go below 50 in a big room but he gets good reinforcement from his room. Will need to listen to these in a bigger room with subs

Reactions: christoph
JBL 2405 poor man´s ET-703 in this LV version.....can do same rotating trick as 703 in Olympian

Kevin has collected the 703s and uses them on the Vox, these go on the smaller models.

to add to the above, it is two batteries, and they are not supposed to go below 30 percent. He never had them going beyond 50 in a listening day. The TT also has 12v battery

View attachment 104117

View attachment 104118

living Voice Air scouts, with Kondo Neiro 2a3 and compare with audio note empress silver 2a3. Grand Prix Parabolica with Viv Labs tonearm and Kondo IOM cart, KSL SFz SUT. The key difference across the two amps came from matching gains, Lee had bought his passive pre (will get details later) and we really needed to switch them to get the system to sound right with the AN to sound right as it was high gain.

later while listening with the Kondo chain again I realised these were excellent at low to loud mid volume, not fighting the room, totally coherent, great rise and fall, easy to listen to.

Lee’s audio note in future will make a trip to Bill’s place to continue the compare chain.

system was set up by Kevin Scott of living voice and was battery powered

View attachment 104119View attachment 104120

Speaker had Vitavox S2 driver and 12 inch Vitavox woofer. JBL 2405 tweeter and Vitavox super tweeter
How did you like the (modded) AirScouts?
What is all modded apart from relocating the JBL tweeter and adding a super tweeter?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing