What do measurements say about SET’s

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
A 211-based SET Ongaku tribute from Uesugi Ken (Otomon Laboratory, Japan) that I recently commissioned is finished and will be shipped soon. He sent me the following measurements:

frequency response: 16Hz-45KHz (22 watts/8ohm)
hum level: 0.2mV
THD: 5% at 22W

I am requesting advice from the experts out there. I hear that SET’s sound great because the lack distortion in the upper odd-order harmonics. Some say the distortion makes them sound good, while still others say they sound good despite the distortion.

What do these measurements tell you? To me, the frequency response seems to be very good (however my speakers can’t go that low, and I can’t hear that high), but what about the THD and hum levels, are they acceptable?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
The primary objective of that amp is to help you listen to music, so the key question is: do you enjoy the music? If you do, end of story!

Coming to the question about the measurements you posted, no - any well-designed SS will measure far better in the values you have posted above. It remains to be seen how important these values are for your musical enjoyment!

Now, the actual measurements: the FR looks good for an SET (v. good even!), the noise is above average, the THD par for the course.(Again: for an SET. ) The output power (22W) is excellent and allows you to drive a great many speakers out there (mine included).

I for one don't think (even order) distortion makes the amp sound "better" at all; it would probably sound better without it - but you can't have a 211 SET with 0 distortion AND no feedback, and if you're to have distortion it might as well be low order even harmonics...

Presumably the amp sounds good despite the high level of distortion, etc, and that's why people choose to use SETs yourself included!;)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
4212 tube amplifier

I preferred the sound of his 4212 tube amps, but can you even find NOS 4212 valves anymore?

Last edited:

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Reactions: DasguteOhr

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
A 211-based SET Ongaku tribute from Uesugi Ken (Otomon Laboratory, Japan) that I recently commissioned is finished and will be shipped soon. He sent me the following measurements:

frequency response: 16Hz-45KHz (22 watts/8ohm)
hum level: 0.2mV
THD: 5% at 22W

I am requesting advice from the experts out there. I hear that SET’s sound great because the lack distortion in the upper odd-order harmonics. Some say the distortion makes them sound good, while still others say they sound good despite the distortion.

What do these measurements tell you? To me, the frequency response seems to be very good (however my speakers can’t go that low, and I can’t hear that high), but what about the THD and hum levels, are they acceptable?

Well for starters you need a speaker with a zmin of 8ohm , best when talking SET is distortion numbers @1W , your speakers should be sensitive enuff as to not exceed 1 watt for normal Din ..

So mW levels to 1watt is what you are really interested in when discussing distortion numbers .

Regards

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Well for starters you need a speaker with a zmin of 8ohm , best when talking SET is distortion numbers @1W , your speakers should be sensitive enuff as to not exceed 1 watt for normal Din ..

So mW levels to 1watt is what you are really interested in when discussing distortion numbers .

Regards
0.3 mW at one watt.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Ok those are the numbers you are interested in not the 5% quote to sound powerful . As you can see its a low distortion design in the mW level not high ..

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing