Viv Lab Owners

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi mtemur, I agree! While I am a fan of linear trackers, I also worry about these pivoted linear trackers having too many bearings.

does the Schroeder LT have too many bearings? I have heard it three times sound sonically good, including in one direct compare with the older SAT.

mtemur your technical knowledge will be appreciated in the investigation

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear @thekong rigidity of a tonearm is really important from my point of view especially the bearing rigidity. I always feel that unipivots lose bass information while adding extra to highs.
At @Mike Lavigne the field coil primary control unipivot - which uses the field coil to make the arm more stable - was good on bass, there was no lightness. But Mike is better positioned to compare how the bass is to his previous Durand

thekong

May 10, 2012
does the Schroeder LT have too many bearings? I have heard it three times sound sonically good, including in one direct compare with the older SAT.

To achieve the goal of linear tracking, the Schroeder LT and Reed 5A surely employ more bearings than a normal pivotal arm. Whether that is too many bearing is hard to say, as it depends on the compromise the designer and users are willing to take!

I don’t doubt they sounds good, but so can some other pivoted arms!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

Schroeder LT is a tangential tracker according to the info and pictures I saw on the web. It has to have a mechanism similar to Reed 5A but magnets might be used instead of rods. I heard this tonearm at Munich while Ana Mighty people were doing the presentation. I remember I was impressed more by the precisely set cartridge compared to sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Schroeder LT is a tangential tracker according to the info and pictures I saw on the web. It has to have a mechanism similar to Reed 5A but magnets might be used instead of rods. I heard this tonearm at Munich while Ana Mighty people were doing the presentation. I remember I was impressed more by the precisely set cartridge compared to sound.

i did not think it sounded good at Munich but I heard it on the Schroeder idler, continuum, and at Steve Dobbins next to the SAT

TLi

May 27, 2016
Dear @thekong rigidity of a tonearm is really important from my point of view especially the bearing rigidity. I always feel that unipivots lose bass information while adding extra to highs. I noticed evidence to this when a high priced unipivot could not track low frequency sweep while a cheaper ball bearing arm could track perfectly (same cartridge used). You may think how it’s all related with ViV. ViV or other arm depending on a bearing floating on liquid isn’t rigid enough in my book, not even close to unipivots let alone better more rigid ones.

Last November I had a pleasure of spending quite some time with TechDas AF10 air bearing tonearm in Tokyo. It was incredibly detailed, high resolution, resolving tonearm. It was like 192K 24bit while other arms sounding like mp3. I never heard any other arm reaching that level of resolution while being fatigue free. But I’m not sure about the bass, the base of sound didn’t seem right. Air bearing might be making arm friction free and enabling cartridge to read more information carved in the grooves but at the same time disconnecting the arm from the base. I still prefer SAT, AS Axiom or even Kuzma Safir because of their grounded sound. I don’t know maybe I’m wrong. IMHO @TLi can do better judgement since he has SAT and familiar to AF10.
I only listened to AF10 tonearm a few times in Munich and in Tokyo. Having not be able to compare AF10 with other arms side by side I can't tell the difference in sonic character of it with other arms. The closest that I got was in Tokyo, upon request, they A/B compared AF1P with AF10 arm and AF3P with Graham Elite arm. The difference was obvious. AF1P/AF10 combo was a lot better.

Many designers and users concentrated the discussion on tracking error and think this is the more important factor that determines the sound quality. I found it is not true. The rigidity of the wand is the most important property. The control of resonance in the wand contributes significantly to the performance. Both SAT and AF10 use carbon fibre with reinforcement to reduce vibration. This ensures good resolution. I am still waiting for my AF10 to arrive and to do a detailed comparison. But it seems me that AF10 is a medium to heavy arm and SAT is certainly a light arm, having both will be able to mount every cartridges in the market with no problem in compliance matching.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Many designers and users concentrated the discussion on tracking error and think this is the more important factor that determines the sound quality. I found it is not true. The rigidity of the wand is the most important property. The control of resonance in the wand contributes significantly to the performance.
Audio Tekne says this same thing. Not only the rigidity of the wand but the entire tonearm structure. Wide bearing, no adjustments on the arm other than one counterweight. I was worried about not having any adjustments but clearly I was wrong.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear All,

The arm is responsible for TRACING and the cartridge is responsible for the TRACKING.

Shibata wrote the book on profiles as far as I am concerned. Hiraga wrote the book on contrarian approaches to better audio.

Marketing gurus did the pamphlets for moving coil cartridges and any other mis-tracking devices.

KIndest regards,G.

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
I am sure that you can imaging that we tried to find something
caused by these „horrible“ tracking angles intensively.

Looking at the geometry it should something wrong audible
at the first and last songs of an LP.

But „unfortunately“ there was nothing… and I mean nothing, in
direct comparisons to „normal“ tonearms.

And looking at the „argument“ that a sharp diamond turns into
a conical one because of the ViV… thats not true as well.

In my comparisons of the DS Audio cartridges of the second
series (E-1, 002, W-2) with their main difference in shape
(elliptical, Shibata, Micro Ridge) the sound difference were ALWAYS
the same… if its a first track or in the middle of the album side.

So my recommendation is… do not judge before listening to
the ViV Rigid Float. All theory is grey…

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
If there is no difference in direct comparison to "normal" tonearms and differences between stylus profiles can be heard "ALWAYS the same" why would I or anyone choose ViV? What's the benefit of ViV when everything is the same like other tonearms?

My original question stays unanswered so, I ask again.
You don't have to follow the rules but what's the benefit, where is the gain? Regarding the design of ViV arms what's the benefit of:
- Omitting overhang and offset when underhang introduces higher tracking error and distortion?
- Omitting anti-skating when skating force also applies to underhung ViV arms and additionally changes it’s direction in the middle?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
If there is no difference in direct comparison to "normal" tonearms and differences between stylus profiles can be heard "ALWAYS the same" why would I or anyone choose ViV? What's the benefit of ViV when everything is the same like other tonearms?

My original question stays unanswered so, I ask again.
You don't have to follow the rules but what's the benefit, where is the gain? Regarding the design of ViV arms what's the benefit of:
- Omitting overhang and offset when underhang introduces higher tracking error and distortion?
- Omitting anti-skating when skating force also applies to underhung ViV arms and additionally changes it’s direction in the middle?
My question to you is unanswered too. Did you hear tracking error and distortion when listening to ViV? I’m not talking about hooking your software up to it.

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
@mtemur
I really have the feeling that you do not (want to) understand.

I have not said that there is no audible difference to "normal" tonearms. I said that (like with normal tonearms)
there was no audible difference in the sound quality of the first, middle and last tracks when playing an album.

There IS an audible difference of the ViV compared to normal tonearms. The ViV sounds better... period!

And the magic is that it does so with every cartridge we tried out so far. It really doesn´t matter if the combination
with the headshell is a light or heavy one.

And NO... we didn´t compare all tonearms of the world market against the ViV. But we had a huge variety of
different candidates from DaVinci to Thales to Graham to Fidelity Research to Jelco to Ortofon to Schroeder
to others in our set ups.

*over and out*

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My question to you is unanswered too. Did you hear tracking error and distortion when listening to ViV? I’m not talking about hooking your software up to it.
Sorry, I missed your question. Quick answer is yes, you can definitely hear tracking error and tracking distortion. I remember hearing ViV in Munich but not impressed if I’m not mistaken. In shows it’s hard to pick the equipment responsible for the final sound.

If you can precisely align zenith angle you notice how everything becomes settled, precise. When zenith angle is wrong sound becomes congested and rushed. It feels as if it becomes a little bit more detailed because of increased distortion and a little bit smooth because of reduced dynamism. You notice how everything becomes precise and focused only after you aligned zenith back to precision. Precisely aligned zenith is not just aligning cantilever to the line on protractor. I tried fiddling with zenith alignment many times and always heard a great improvement on sound. Other members can explain their experiences with zenith better than me. You may say what’s zenith got to do with tracking error. Zenith is directly related with tracking error, when it’s not aligned precisely the tracking error increases. ViV is ruining zenith by it’s approach.

Now, I’m not asking directly to you @djsina2 but I wonder will I get logical answers to my questions or I should rely on the prior comment that ViV is magical?

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Sorry, I missed your question. Quick answer is yes, you can definitely hear tracking error and tracking distortion. I remember hearing ViV in Munich but not impressed if I’m not mistaken. In shows it’s hard to pick the equipment responsible for the final sound.

If you can precisely align zenith angle you notice how everything becomes settled, precise. When zenith angle is wrong sound becomes congested and rushed. It feels as if it becomes a little bit more detailed because of increased distortion and a little bit smooth because of reduced dynamism. You notice how everything becomes precise and focused only after you aligned zenith back to precision. Precisely aligned zenith is not just aligning cantilever to the line on protractor. I tried fiddling with zenith alignment many times and always heard a great improvement on sound. Other members can explain their experiences with zenith better than me. You may say what’s zenith got to do with tracking error. Zenith is directly related with tracking error, when it’s not aligned precisely the tracking error increases. ViV is ruining zenith by it’s approach.

Now, I’m not asking directly to you @djsina2 but I wonder will I get logical answers to my questions or I should rely on the prior comment that ViV is magical?
Yes, probably impossible to pick out the arm in a system you have no experience with. I don’t think anyone is going to argue and say precisely aligning a cartridge is a bad thing. I have definitely experienced what you describe with typical arms. However, for me, ViV is doing something different which supersedes the standard rules. As soon as I put it in it was clearly obvious it was better to me than typical arms I’ve used in the past. I was mostly using conical cartridges with my ViV. Now I use a different arm which also does not follow any standard geometry or even allow for any adjustments and the sound is like nothing I’ve heard before.

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
The ViV is of course not magical, BUT me and my friends never ever heard tracking error distortions with these arms.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Yes, probably impossible to pick out the arm in a system you have no experience with. I don’t think anyone is going to argue and say precisely aligning a cartridge is a bad thing. I have definitely experienced what you describe with typical arms. However, for me, ViV is doing something different which supersedes the standard rules. As soon as I put it in it was clearly obvious it was better to me than typical arms I’ve used in the past. I was mostly using conical cartridges with my ViV. Now I use a different arm which also does not follow any standard geometry or even allow for any adjustments and the sound is like nothing I’ve heard before.
I’m glad they worked for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing