Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unless I am limited to only one vehicle, I like different cars to have different capabilities and for different purposes.

But you want only one turntable? And only now have changed to two arms and carts.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
BREAKING NEWS:

After a very nice correspondence with Johnnie Bergmann of Bergmann Audio, in Denmark, and a discussion with Alex of Alma Music & Audio, I am very excited that I will be adding the Bergmann Odin tonearm as the second tonearm on the Vintage Audio American Sound AS-2000 turntable!

Johnnie is a life-long audiophile and engineer, and he is an absolute delight! I look forward to being one of his first clients to purchase a Bergmann tonearm for a non-Bergmann turntable.

The anvil-like, zero compliance solidity of the AS-2000 turntable should make a perfect platform for the air-bearing Odin tonearm. Since the source components will be in an adjacent room I have no concern about two air pumps pumping away.

An interesting factoid is that when I auditioned the Pendragon loudspeakers at Gryphon Audio Designs Flemming happened to be using a Bergmann Audio turntable and tonearm.

Congrats Ron!
Can you adjust the VTA under fly with this tonearm ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
BREAKING NEWS:

After a very nice correspondence with Johnnie Bergmann of Bergmann Audio, in Denmark, and a discussion with Alex of Alma Music & Audio, I am very excited that I will be adding the Bergmann Odin tonearm as the second tonearm on the Vintage Audio American Sound AS-2000 turntable!

Johnnie is a life-long audiophile and engineer, and he is an absolute delight! I look forward to being one of his first clients to purchase a Bergmann tonearm for a non-Bergmann turntable.

The anvil-like, zero compliance solidity of the AS-2000 turntable should make a perfect platform for the air-bearing Odin tonearm. Since the source components will be in an adjacent room I have no concern about two air pumps pumping away.

An interesting factoid is that when I auditioned the Pendragon loudspeakers at Gryphon Audio Designs Flemming happened to be using a Bergmann Audio turntable and tonearm.

Congratulations Ron,

I have heard the Bergmann tables and arms several times. One of the local Canadian distributors , I believe, was the sole distributor for NA for a time. I think that relationship is over - none the less- the quality of the Bergmann is really phenomenal and I agree the industrial design is very clean and purposeful.

Let us know how you get on.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Congratulations Ron,

I have heard the Bergmann tables and arms several times. One of the local Canadian distributors , I believe, was the sole distributor for NA for a time. I think that relationship is over - none the less- the quality of the Bergmann is really phenomenal and I agree the industrial design is very clean and purposeful.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi did you hear the Sindre or the galder?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Both

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, audioquattr and Kcin!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
D5116706-A38F-41C8-9B23-E5D7DC7C77A0.jpeg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
That’s good progress Ron!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This has to mean it is getting somewhat close! Better get it done now since contractors are about to the most popular people in CA.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Very cool.. you have a neat electrician... I like that. BTW is that overspray on the floor.. Not soot!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Peter, audioquattr! It is drywall dust.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Musings on cartridges:

A member wrote to me:

I was reading some of your posts and noticed that you have owned Benz Micro cartridges in the past. I own a Glider SM on a VPI Classic 2 table/arm. I want to upgrade. I think the Benz has a very natural sound. so I am thinking of staying in the line or would consider recommendations. I like a relaxed sound, not lean sounding like the Lyra : ). I find them too sterile for my liking. I like warmth with detail. What should I consider, wood? LPS?

I replied:

I would consider the Benz-Micro LP S-MR and the ZYX UNIverse Premium. I think they are both on the warmer side. (I own the ZYX.)

One shade more neutral (but still on the warmer side) is the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme. I could live happily forever with any of these three cartridges.

The Koetsus are more complicated and more polarizing among audiophiles and a little less certain of getting optimized sound, but I have liked the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum and every Koetsu stone body cartridge every time I have ever heard them. Still, after a lot of thought and research, I personally decided not to get involved with a Koetsu. Rockitman’s extensive experience notwithstanding I have the feeling and the impression (but not the direct, personal experience to support it) that it may take a high effective mass vintage tonearm, or the Acoustical Signature Axiom tonearm, to be certain of getting the best sound out of a Koetsu cartridge.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had the ZYX Uni Prem II or something in my system for a week or so. My AirTight Supreme was quite a few shades more neutral than the ZYX. I think both are considerably more expensive than is the Benz LP S-MR, though I don't know exact pricing. I don't know the other member's price range.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Fair enough!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Unfortunately, the Benz's are no more. Once again, the Benz's are unobatanium--according to the US distributor, Musical Surroundings. There is a grey market vendor in China who apparently still has a stock of these, but maybe ask Rockitman what he thinks of that avenue before going that route.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Musings on cartridges:

A member wrote to me:

I was reading some of your posts and noticed that you have owned Benz Micro cartridges in the past. I own a Glider SM on a VPI Classic 2 table/arm. I want to upgrade. I think the Benz has a very natural sound. so I am thinking of staying in the line or would consider recommendations. I like a relaxed sound, not lean sounding like the Lyra : ). I find them too sterile for my liking. I like warmth with detail. What should I consider, wood? LPS?

I replied:

I would consider the Benz-Micro LP S-MR and the ZYX UNIverse Premium. I think they are both on the warmer side. (I own the ZYX.) .........

.............or the Acoustical Signature Axiom tonearm, to be certain of getting the best sound out of a Koetsu cartridge.

When you are done setting up your mega system with the AS2000/SME. The ZYX will not sound on a warm side. If you still find it warm, look elsewhere down the chain.

A Coralstone on Axiom on AF1 in my system is still in a different league from the four carts I have on the AS2000. I doubt it moves up a league even if play on the AS. But I dont have a diamond cantilever like Christian and Gian.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing