Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron,

i do respect your 'comfort zone' mentality as a personal choice. but to me it is sad too. sure; you can 'wait' for people to offer you good 'prime cuts' to add to your cocoon of 'safe' choices.

but the absence of a musical exploration mentality is cutting off one of the great delights of our hobby. especially these days with streaming. it's a big beautiful musical world out there calling your name.

once your system is up and running, and maybe if you choose to have streaming as a choice, even if temporary, it would be interesting if you took a month and spent an hour a day just exploring streaming choices......to see if it adds to your pleasure quotient.....and ROI on your system investment. change is good for the soul.

Thank you, Mike, for this encouragement. I totally respect your view and approach, and I am happy for you that new music exploration is such an important aspect of the hobby for you.

Hopefully my life will get simpler over the next year or so, and I will have the time to pursue leisurely the exploration of new music.

Thank you, again.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
In classical I like:

Beethoven 5th

Beethoven 9th (minus the choir part)

Beethoven Egmont Overture (sort of okay)

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique (March to the Scaffold)

Mozart Jupiter Symphony 41 (still my favorite!)

Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain (last 3/4”)

Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (Great Gate of Kiev)

THAT’S IT!

I have many different copies, versions, speeds, formats, tapes of these titles!
to me it seems like you like predictability
try exploring some baroque music.......
mathematically predictable......research in Sweden showed it stimulated learning when listening to baroque music while studying

A good friend recently introduced me to classical composers Schnittke and Webern, and then to Musica Nuda. It really expanding my horizons and I am really enjoying it. It is all on vinyl records though.
I like Schnittke...interesting stuff.

Reactions: PeterA
A good friend recently introduced me to classical composers Schnittke and Webern, and then to Musica Nuda. It really expanding my horizons and I am really enjoying it. It is all on vinyl records though.
I found Musica Nuda 2004 via Qobuz random play of music. They are very enjoyable to listen to.

I like Alfred Schnittke’s music as well. Roon made the suggestion a couple of years ago. And that led to other discoveries and horizons. This is the great value of streaming for music lovers/adventurers. And the sound quality can be thoroughly compelling with good recordings in a well set up system.

well yesI just found it funny someone likes the 9th minus the choir part.
He probably likes stairway to heaven minus the lead
good bad ugly minus the shootout at the end
Ben hur minus the race at the end
Hur’s race was probably rigged anyways much like any of the known stairways to heaven… as was Beethoven’s Ode which was meant to bring about peace throughout the world :eek:

Such an extraordinary and uplifting piece of music but clearly not a successfully functional movement given the continued state of not so world peace ever since it’s original composition. Darn human nature (uhmm and not talking the boy band). Still such a joyous and epically optimistic symphonic end for an otherwise flawlessly great composer.

PS Schnittke and Hindemith might not be immediately accessible Ron but it’s never too late for Beethoven’s late sonatas. Can I also throw in a concerted effort for Brahms piano concertos 1 and 2… go Emile Gilels with Eugen Jochum and the Berliners… piano concerto doesn’t get a whole lot more benchmark than these.

Last edited:
As the repainting of the listening room proceeds we have begun the process of slowly resuscitating Saraswati, who has been in a state of suspended animation since her involuntary departure from the jungle of Indonesia.

Last edited:
Reactions: brad225
This is how she looked in the jungle when we found her:

8868F4E6-4ED0-45C1-9484-D45E428AADD2.jpeg

Reactions: Alrainbow
Hopefully you only clean and polish the wood? Nothing drastic.

just as good as streaming, reading reviews on amazon what kind of music other people listen to. already found a lot of unknown beautiful music.after that hear on youtube whether it suits your own taste

Brian Berdan, proprietor of the wonderful Audio Element audio salon in Pasadena, California, just told me that he will be deliverying the VTL Siegfried II amplifiers and the VTL TL-7.5 Series III latest production preamplifier on November 16.

Brian Berdan, proprietor of the wonderful Audio Element audio salon in Pasadena, California, just told me that he will be deliverying the VTL Siegfried II amplifiers and the VTL TL-7.5 Series III latest production preamplifier on November 16.
Big news!!! Getting there...what is your target date for the entire system to be setup?

Big news!!! Getting there...what is your target date for the entire system to be setup?

I have no idea. Q1 2023?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Thank you, Lloyd, but I really have no idea. I bet one piece will be delayed for months; I just don’t know which piece that will be. (And I am not even including the reconditioned A820 in that thought.)

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

Good news. They will take some time to burn-in, perhaps you should get some inefficient speakers and a CD player :eek: while waiting for the big system and start listening to great music!

Reactions: MRJAZZ
Thank you, Lloyd, but I really have no idea. I bet one piece will be delayed for months; I just don’t know which piece that will be. (And I am not even including the reconditioned A820 in that thought.)
As long as you have continuous equipment to run from 1 source to speaker (even if not the right cable, or power conditioner/Torus, or etc)...you at least have music and as Micro says, can start burning in.

Good news. They will take some time to burn-in, perhaps you should get some inefficient speakers and a CD player :eek: while waiting for the big system and start listening to great music!
Thank you for the suggestion. Brian has been using the amps as his demo amps, so everything is burned in.

PS: I listen to great music all the time on the overhead.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing