New speaker choice

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
IMO they will stay but prices are going to drop fast like Raidhos on the used market.
MSRP is way to high therefore better to wait for used pairs.
Build quality is awesome though.
I agree the Raidho's through the D series had a very high MSRP. They had high dealer margins and were liberally discounted by many. I don't know if that's true anymore since Lars Kristensen and Michael Borresen left to start Ansuz, Aavik, and Borresen Audio. The new Raidho's have undergone considerable changes that I haven't heard.

I still own Raidho D3s that have had very holographic midrange and highs even when they were housed in my open plan FR. But the low end is its weak point - as with most single box speakers. In 2019 I added a JL Audio F212 sub and CR-1 crossover. JL Audio helped me seamlessly integrate them with the D3s - now my system has a palpable low end as well.

I haven't heard the Borresen 03s, but considering the brilliant design engineer (Borresen) I don't doubt they sound really great, especially in the right room. I'm more skeptical they have the kind of low end my system has presently.

IMO it's really difficult to audition audio equipment at audio shows, most dealer showrooms, or manufacturers facilities. I visited YG several years ago and was disappointed with the Hailey's. But the listening room they had at the time was more of a cordoned off warehouse space.

The listening room I built in 2019 was acoustically designed and built. It's not perfect, but significantly better than any place I've been able to visit so far. From my experience the room acoustics and power supply are the two factors that most affect how well we hear the sound produced from our speakers.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I agree the Raidho's through the D series had a very high MSRP. They had high dealer margins and were liberally discounted by many. I don't know if that's true anymore since Lars Kristensen and Michael Borresen left to start Ansuz, Aavik, and Borresen Audio. The new Raidho's have undergone considerable changes that I haven't heard.

I still own Raidho D3s that have had very holographic midrange and highs even when they were housed in my open plan FR. But the low end is its weak point - as with most single box speakers. In 2019 I added a JL Audio F212 sub and CR-1 crossover. JL Audio helped me seamlessly integrate them with the D3s - now my system has a palpable low end as well.

I haven't heard the Borresen 03s, but considering the brilliant design engineer (Borresen) I don't doubt they sound really great, especially in the right room. I'm more skeptical they have the kind of low end my system has presently.

IMO it's really difficult to audition audio equipment at audio shows, most dealer showrooms, or manufacturers facilities. I visited YG several years ago and was disappointed with the Hailey's. But the listening room they had at the time was more of a cordoned off warehouse space.

The listening room I built in 2019 was acoustically designed and built. It's not perfect, but significantly better than any place I've been able to visit so far. From my experience the room acoustics and power supply are the two factors that most affect how well we hear the sound produced from our speakers.
Yes i agree the Borresen 03 will lack bass but if you put a pair of 05s in a medium size room i'm sure that's another story.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Other than a bigger image and 'possibly' palpable bass, I doubt that would be cost effective.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
During a 3 day side by side home audition, I prefered the Magico A5 to Hailey 2.2. Both were driven by Constellation Centaur 500 monos.
Source is DCS Bartok

Magico A5 had a more lively sound, more bite, more drama, better bottom end and to my 50 year old ears, more detail and better seperation.
YG Hailey 2.2 sounder more refined and had a much better fit n finish though.
+1
I was prepared to upgrade to the Hailey before I heard the A5. Both lovely. However, to my ears, the A5 is overall a better speaker in just about all categories but look.

Reactions: Ozan K

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
+1
I was prepared to upgrade to the Hailey before I heard the A5. Both lovely. However, to my ears, the A5 is overall a better speaker in just about all categories but look.

Did you find the treble resolution of the A5 to equal the YG Hailey 2.2? Because the A5 doesn't have the diamond coater tweeter of the Smk2 and M series of speakers.

The YG Billetdome tweeter on their latest generation 2 series on Sonja and Hailey models quite special.

I'd think the Hailey 2.2 would compare better to the S5 Mk2 , on paper at least.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
The A5 tweeter is superb. Mostly at a high volume where I found the YG tweeter to sound a bit harsh.

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
Did you find the treble resolution of the A5 to equal the YG Hailey 2.2? Because the A5 doesn't have the diamond coater tweeter of the Smk2 and M series of speakers.

The YG Billetdome tweeter on their latest generation 2 series on Sonja and Hailey models quite special.

I'd think the Hailey 2.2 would compare better to the S5 Mk2 , on paper at least.
One reason I choose A5 was exactly the highs.

The YG sounded somehow boring compared to A5 which gave a lively, energetic presentation and have that "bite" I was looking for.

One may argue that the highs of Hailey 2.2 is more refined and maybe a little more extended though.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Hm. I do not find the Hailey 2.2 tweeter the least bit harsh in my current set-up along with incredible dynamics overall - definitely not boring. I am still amazed at the H2.2s headroom as components, cabling, network are improved. That said, it is quite a coup if the A5 bests the Hailey 2.2 at almost half the cost!

Last edited:

Symbiose

Dec 19, 2020
I'm also looking for a new speaker, does anyone know Gauder Akustik speakers? a dealer represents the manufacturer and appointed them. Are they on the same level as a YG?

bmarq

Dec 29, 2018
Completely agree regarding the Audionet Humboldt this beast competes way above it's price range, cannot think of a better amp today.
Regarding speakers i'm very curious about the Verity Sarastro lls, there might be some owners on this forum please chime in.
@poonbean has them and can probably chime in. I have Verity’s Parsifal Anniversaries but the Sarastro’s seems like the sweet spot for Verity. Ribbon tweeters and 93/db sensitivity with just the right height. Could very well be the destination speakers for those who like Verity sound.

Nagra will be releasing videos from their the Listening Room which has Lohengrins as reference. Should be interesting to hear how it sounds like. They have it set-up with severe toe-in and quite near-field as opposed to very little toe-in which we see in most set-ups.

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
Hm. I do not find the Hailey 2.2 tweeter the least bit harsh in my current set-up along with incredible dynamics overall - definitely not boring. I am still amazed at the H2.2s headroom as components, cabling, network are improved. That said, it is quite a coup if the A5 bests the Hailey 2.2 at almost half the cost!

I have to say it is not much of a coup as after I had another chance to test both speakers at home with Gryphon Antileon Signature instead of Centaur 500s, I changed the amplifiers and then went on with Hailey 2.2s instead of A5.

This seem to validate YG Hailey 2.2 s is more system than I have ever experienced before. It just went from mehh... to aaamazing with Gryphon.

Magico A5 is still very good and I can see myself living with it easily (which I did for more than two months now) but with the right partners my choice became YG Hailey 2.2.

It has a beautiful midrange, a very refined sound, detailed imaging and an expressive musicality.

Thanks,

Reactions: moby2004 and ctydwn

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
@KeithR

I am having Hailey 2.2 side by side with a newly acquired Cube Audio Nenuphar for 1 week now and the impressions are very interesting to say the least.

Would be very curious to learn your observations if you ever have the chance to check out Nenuphar yourself.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: KeithR

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
@KeithR

I am having Hailey 2.2 side by side with a newly acquired Cube Audio Nenuphar for 1 week now and the impressions are very interesting to say the least.

Would be very curious to learn your observations if you ever have the chance to check out Nenuphar yourself.
Try Rega RS-10 if you have a dealer in your area, if you like Nenuphars..... The RS-10s sound is quite unique, to say the least, I d say,, price notwithstanding.

Jul 5, 2021
Howdy...I'm a newbie lurker on WBF and wanted to jump right in on my 1st post...

After a visit to Arvada and a half-day spent in the YG listening room, I just ordered a pair of Hailey 2.2s with the upgraded Nordost wiring. Now I'm looking to upgrade our components. I'm considering the following amps/pre-amps/integrateds...

Audionet Humbolt
Ayre KX-R / MX-R Monos
Luxman C900u / M900u
Gryphon Diablo 300

Does anyone have experience with any of the above with the Hailey 2.2s? If so...thoughts?

Many thanks!

Travis

PS - My current set up includes B&W 802D3s, a REL #25 sub, McIntosh C2700/MC462, VPI Prime Signature, Aurender ACS 100, and Denali 6000s.

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Did you consider keeping the McIntosh gear and spending the money on Sonja 2.2s or 2.3s. The Haileys are great speakers but the Sonja are on another level. Did you get to compare/audition the Sonjas?

What kind of music are you prioritizing?

Reactions: beach2mountain

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
@KeithR

Hows the stage height with the Nenuphars and Hailey? Especially when you listening standing up, do you look at from above like a balcony, or ? Thanks

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Howdy...I'm a newbie lurker on WBF and wanted to jump right in on my 1st post...

After a visit to Arvada and a half-day spent in the YG listening room, I just ordered a pair of Hailey 2.2s with the upgraded Nordost wiring. Now I'm looking to upgrade our components. I'm considering the following amps/pre-amps/integrateds...

Audionet Humbolt
Ayre KX-R / MX-R Monos
Luxman C900u / M900u
Gryphon Diablo 300

Does anyone have experience with any of the above with the Hailey 2.2s? If so...thoughts?

Many thanks!

Travis

PS - My current set up includes B&W 802D3s, a REL #25 sub, McIntosh C2700/MC462, VPI Prime Signature, Aurender ACS 100, and Denali 6000s.
Travis welcome to the forum, looking at your list no doubt i would choose the Audionet Humboldt witth the Haley 2.2 i have heard this combo it doesn't get any better than this.
This is the integrated i wanted to purchase in the first place with a pair of Borresen 03s but budget wise it was too much for me this time around therefore i settled with a Diablo 300 + Thiel CS 3.7s combo and i'm still very happy with this rig.
Best of luck.

Reactions: beach2mountain

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
Hows the stage height with the Nenuphars and Hailey? Especially when you listening standing up, do you look at from above like a balcony, or ? Thanks
The Haileys have a higher ceiling seated or standing

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020

Audionet Humbolt
Ayre KX-R / MX-R Monos
Luxman C900u / M900u
Gryphon Diablo 300

Many thanks!

Travis

Congratulations on your choice. Hailey is an amazing speaker.

As for amps, give Jadis a try if you can

Maybe hard to imagine but I prefer Jadis 300b SET liveliness, tonality and detail to Gryphon Antileon Signature which bested Constellation Centaur before.

This is why I will give a try to Jadis integrateds and Ja30 and Ja80 in the following weeks.

Regards,

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
@KeithR

I have the Nenuphar with a Triode Lab EVO 2A3 integrated. These are truly outstanding speakers! I have owned Kharma, Verity, Kaiser etc and have used all in the same dedicated listening room. I am tempted to say that I have never enjoyed my system as I am now.

Been in this hobby for 40 years and I have a pretty good idea of what I am listening to and know what to listen for. That a full range driver with a 4 watt amp can sound this good is remarkable and something that I had to experience myself.

I am coming from a USD 200.000,- system, my current system gives me more joy. It is all about putting together components that work together, high prices does not always results in better sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing