New speaker choice

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
Are you already bored with your YGs and Nenuphars? That was short!

Not really, both are very nice speakers, so it is not a matter of being bored.

It is just the fact that I am 53 now and would like to try as many different brands as possible

I have lived with many different speakers throughout the years, one at a time, only to come to the conclusion that sound memory is a short term thing and not very reliable.

Some speakers I had in the past

Dali
Sonus Faber Grand Piano
Cabasse Sloop
Cabasse Pacific
Proac 3.8
Wilson Audio Sophia I
Von Schweikert V4 Gen III
Von Schweikert DB99
Coincident Total Eclipse
Audio Note AN-E Lexus
Reference 3A Grand Veena
Magnepan 3.7

The problem is I simply could not be sure how the speaker I had at one time would be comparing to another one I had in the past. And listening sessions at dealers or even short home trials were not enough for me to guarantee long term satisfaction

So I decided to always have two speakers together for some time and do a kind of shootout to determine which will stay and which will be replaced to do another round of comparison. I hope to be able to determine an absolute winner, at least to my taste, after say 10-15 rounds.

So far I a-b'd the following speakers which I owned at the same time

Quad 2905 - B&W 802 D : Winner B&W 802 D
YG Hailey 2.2 - B&W 802 D : Winner YG Hailey 2.2
YG Hailey 2.2 - Magico A5: That was a hard one, Magico A5 is a wonderful product, but I still prefered YG
YG Hailey 2.2 - Cube Nenuphar: My girlfriend says Cube but for me is YG

All shootouts are done with at least three amplifers to be as much sure as possible that wrong matching does not get in the way.

So I am keeping the YG Hailey 2.2 and will buy another speaker, one of the ones above, to compare it to Hailey.

That is why I am curious about your thoughts.

Reactions: ctydwn and TDX

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
I don't know where you live but if you get the chance to listen to the Divin Marquis I don't think you will be disappointed. If you live in the US come visit

Thanks for the invitation, would be please to do so but I am in Turkey at the moment. I am sure they are great from what I read in forums about Göbel but dont think they are available here.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Thanks for the invitation, would be please to do so but I am in Turkey at the moment. I am sure they are great from what I read in forums about Göbel but dont think they are available here.
we can ship you a pair LOL

Reactions: Ozan K

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi guys,
I am planning to go for a change in one of my speakers just for the sake of trying different brands.

The alternatives that are "available"

- Graham 5/8
- Tad Evolution 1
- Tidal Contriva Diacera SE
- Raidho D3 V2
- Focal Stella Utopia EM
- Wilson Alexia 2
- Diesis Audio Caput Mundi

I know they are very different from one each other and dont have much in common but would love to hear your take on this.

Thanks in advance.
I am a big fan of YGs but the other speakers that have always impressed me on my visits to Munich have been the Tidal speakers so can certainly recommend the Contriva.

Reactions: ctydwn and Ozan K

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Not really, both are very nice speakers, so it is not a matter of being bored.

It is just the fact that I am 53 now and would like to try as many different brands as possible

I have lived with many different speakers throughout the years, one at a time, only to come to the conclusion that sound memory is a short term thing and not very reliable.

Some speakers I had in the past

Dali
Sonus Faber Grand Piano
Cabasse Sloop
Cabasse Pacific
Proac 3.8
Wilson Audio Sophia I
Von Schweikert V4 Gen III
Von Schweikert DB99
Coincident Total Eclipse
Audio Note AN-E Lexus
Reference 3A Grand Veena
Magnepan 3.7

The problem is I simply could not be sure how the speaker I had at one time would be comparing to another one I had in the past. And listening sessions at dealers or even short home trials were not enough for me to guarantee long term satisfaction

So I decided to always have two speakers together for some time and do a kind of shootout to determine which will stay and which will be replaced to do another round of comparison. I hope to be able to determine an absolute winner, at least to my taste, after say 10-15 rounds.

So far I a-b'd the following speakers which I owned at the same time

Quad 2905 - B&W 802 D : Winner B&W 802 D
YG Hailey 2.2 - B&W 802 D : Winner YG Hailey 2.2
YG Hailey 2.2 - Magico A5: That was a hard one, Magico A5 is a wonderful product, but I still prefered YG
YG Hailey 2.2 - Cube Nenuphar: My girlfriend says Cube but for me is YG

All shootouts are done with at least three amplifers to be as much sure as possible that wrong matching does not get in the way.

So I am keeping the YG Hailey 2.2 and will buy another speaker, one of the ones above, to compare it to Hailey.

That is why I am curious about your thoughts.
Try to listen to : 1. Rega RS10, simply extraordinary, the modern day successor to the legendary PAwel Acoustics/Ensemble PA-1, only with greater dynamics and bass, sounds like none of the speakers you have listed.
2. Eminent Technology 8b with Sound Anchor stands, priced $ 2800, but better than most modern day speakers at any price, IMHO (don't be put off by its amazing "low" price), with the Symphonic Line monoblocks (or Pilium, FM acoustics 711 if you can get those at a sane price) in combination with the REL 3 stack subs columns, if properly installed & integrated will produce closest approximation of the live musical event , not unlike the MBL Extreme & German Physics larger models. But need to give the ET 8bs some room, like about at least 2 meters out away from back walls.

3. MBL 101 E. These are pricier than most listed here, but try to get a hefty discount ;), its possible!

4. Zellaton Evo with Goldmund Telos 300 amp, or Symphonic Line RG-4 monos , avoid Goldmund amps with digital input, those just too complex & troublesome In my experience.

5. Wait for the B&W D4 series in Sept .

6 Audiodata Master One from Austria

7 Marten speakers from Sweden, based on your room size and budget.

8, Gobel from Germany, with flat patented midrange unit, have not heard their models with horn loaded tweeter.

Most of those that I ve listed will sound VERY different to most speakers you ve owned, or are considering.

Also, try to get the Cardas Clear Beyond speaker cables, true dual shot gun configuration if using bi wire posts on your speakers. These cables will do wonders to the sound of your current system as well.. And Cardas Clear Beyond interconnect cables as well. These cables will positively affect (IMHO) the sound of your system similar to any major system component change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozan K

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@KeithR

I am having Hailey 2.2 side by side with a newly acquired Cube Audio Nenuphar for 1 week now and the impressions are very interesting to say the least.

Would be very curious to learn your observations if you ever have the chance to check out Nenuphar yourself.
How would you compare and contrast Nenuphar vs Hailey?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
+1 for Marten. I hv the Mingus. Lifechanging… they are the perfect balance of liquid/musical and clear/detailed. The real sweet spot in their range. The parkers hv a bigger stage, due to backfiring, but not as refined detail wise. These speakers really vanish. 7th Heaven! Just gorgeous.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
+1 for Marten. I hv the Mingus. Lifechanging… they are the perfect balance of liquid/musical and clear/detailed. The real sweet spot in their range. The parkers hv a bigger stage, due to backfiring, but not as refined detail wise. These speakers really vanish. 7th Heaven! Just gorgeous.
Which exactly model of the Mingus range do you have? The Orchestra?

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
No quintet. The chorus is a BIG jump in price and not, for me the sweet spot. It is also a lot bigger and for bigger rooms….

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Orchestra price puts u in a whole different league. Not saying I wouldn’t get them but lots of options up in that price range… at quintet prices, though, you won’t find better. Different, yes,. Preferable to you, maybe yes. But not better

beach2mountain

Jul 5, 2021
I've had the Hailey's in my system for 4 days now and all I can say is WOW! I still have about 150 hours of break-in left and haven't changed any of the source components, speaker cable, etc., but the SQ improvement is MASSIVE. They are incredibly detailed without sacrificing musicality, the imaging is bonkers and the soundstage is massive, the highs are smooth and natural, the mids are liquid, and the bass is significantly better than the B&Ws. I can't stop listening to them and have not experienced any of the listening fatigue I was getting with the B&Ws. I can't say enough good things about them...super coherent, immersive, disappearing speakers that sound phenomenal with all kinds of music. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions!

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
No quintet. The chorus is a BIG jump in price and not, for me the sweet spot. It is also a lot bigger and for bigger rooms….
How is the image height of the Marten Quintet, especially when you stand up? Are they strictly "Sweet-spot" design, or perfomers location within the soundstage stays more or less fixed?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
They image incredibly and are more flexible than other speakers I have had. You can be off axis and everything stays in place. In fact, my setup is long wall and if I get up and walk away off to stage right past the speakers so I am parallel to the side of the right speaker, the musicians are still behind the speakers and the whole room sounds great. They do hv a very unique soundstage From other speakers… hard to describe, but somehow deeper. There is a review of them online which I thought was pretty accurate: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...eakers-passive-reviews/marten-mingus-quintet/

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
For me, though, it is the brilliant detail but with absolutely zero fatigue. I often listen for hours and hours and get up refreshed. They really tickle the refinement vs musicality spot. The parkers hv bigger soundstage but are missing this refinement and delicate balance

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
And they are gorgeous :)

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
And they are gorgeous :)
They image incredibly and are more flexible than other speakers I have had. You can be off axis and everything stays in place. In fact, my setup is long wall and if I get up and walk away off to stage right past the speakers so I am parallel to the side of the right speaker, the musicians are still behind the speakers and the whole room sounds great. They do hv a very unique soundstage From other speakers… hard to describe, but somehow deeper. There is a review of them online which I thought was pretty accurate: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...eakers-passive-reviews/marten-mingus-quintet/
When you stand up, with your ears way above the tweeter level, does the soundstage stay below, at the tweeter level ? Do singers (especially in opera, if recording allows it of course naturally) sound full adult size when you stand up? I ve read the the review link you ve provided and the reviewer had the Apogee Full Ranges, those are one of the few speakers (given that they have 6 feet tall drivers) that provide realisitc sounding singers no matter what the vertical listening position, just for point of reference....

Reactions: NZS

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I will experiment standing up, but they cast impeccable 3D imaging and my room / position is not ideal. I don’t hv a dedicated room. They pair very well with the Dave, which also digs deep and pulls out lots, without ever getting bright as the Dave can with forward speakers. Marten can take whatever details u throw at them and never ever sound bad. U can hear crumm recordings are crummy, but won’t need to turn away. Hard to describe. I had KEF REF 5 before these and they were very different, more HIFI and wow and then I am done in an hour… These pull u in, move you, make u wanna dance out of ur chair and put on yet another track even though it’s late and u should get to bed….

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I will experiment standing up, but they cast impeccable 3D imaging and my room / position is not ideal. I don’t hv a dedicated room. They pair very well with the Dave, which also digs deep and pulls out lots, without ever getting bright as the Dave can with forward speakers. Marten can take whatever details u throw at them and never ever sound bad. U can hear crumm recordings are crummy, but won’t need to turn away. Hard to describe. I had KEF REF 5 before these and they were very different, more HIFI and wow and then I am done in an hour… These pull u in, move you, make u wanna dance out of ur chair and put on yet another track even though it’s late and u should get to bed….
What is Dave? Chord Dac?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Yes sir.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing