New speaker choice

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i'm starting all over again from scratch, my Thiel CS 3.7s are up for sale and i already have a potential buyer, therefore am searching for my futur end game speaker.
If i stay cone speakers my favorite choice today is Borresen Acoustics but i have 2 other alternatives : the Bayz Audio omnidirectional and the Alsyvox planar.
I will choose the electronics later on depending on speaker type.
Any experience ?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
How about Diesis or something from ASR? Alsyvox have timbre issues (particularly strings that sound plasticky) and weak bass. IMO. Borresson is like a warmer Raidho, if that's you're thing. I happen to like Raidho, but they also have bass issues until you get absurdly expensive in the line. Alternatively, I think you should consider YG.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
My favorites right now are YG, Verity and Alsyvox.

Reactions: KLH007

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sandersoundsystem full range electrostatic.$17k.It is hybrid.Seriously unless you are going cost no object you will be hard pressed to do better. Even then.. It is available for home audition. Be prepared to forget all your preconceptions about stats.
Price $17,000

This price includes:

• Electrostatic Speakers with 1) aluminum bass driver and 2) revised transmission line
  • Magtech Amplifier
  • New LMS (Loudspeaker Management System) includes digital crossover with a Room Correction System, Digital Signal Processor, and Real Time Analyzer
  • DDDCherrybrickedit.jpg

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Sandersoundsystem full range electrostatic.$17k.It is hybrid.Seriously unless you are going cost no object you will be hard pressed to do better. Even then.. It is available for home audition. Be prepared to forget all your preconceptions about stats.
Price $17,000

This price includes:

• Electrostatic Speakers with 1) aluminum bass driver and 2) revised transmission line
  • Magtech Amplifier
  • New LMS (Loudspeaker Management System) includes digital crossover with a Room Correction System, Digital Signal Processor, and Real Time Analyzer
They have a narrow sweet spot though like the Vandersteen 7, a result of poor off-axis response. But if the OP's is generally the only person listening, and sits in the God seat each time, that wouldn't be an issue. Around that budget, I would look at the new Magico A5 which looks like great bang for the buck.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How about Diesis or something from ASR? Alsyvox have timbre issues (particularly strings that sound plasticky) and weak bass. IMO. Borresson is like a warmer Raidho, if that's you're thing. I happen to like Raidho, but they also have bass issues until you get absurdly expensive in the line. Alternatively, I think you should consider YG.

Yes i do like the Borresens very much especially the 03s that i consider the sweet spot in the line, much prefer them to Raidhos.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Also i forgot to mention i want to purchase something that will be a significant upgrade to my Thiels, the Borresen 03s are just that.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They have a narrow sweet spot though like the Vandersteen 7, a result of poor off-axis response. But if the OP's is generally the only person listening, and sits in the God seat each time, that wouldn't be an issue. Around that budget, I would look at the new Magico A5 which looks like great bang for the buck.
Yes I am going to start a thread on well intentioned audio myths usually started by audio reviewers.
By definition tion a sweet spot is narrow.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Also i forgot to mention i want to purchase something that will be a significant upgrade to my Thiels, the Borresen 03s are just that.
I have to admit to liking the Raidho/Aavik and Borresson/Aavik combos I have heard. I prefer the former, but that's a matter of taste. Somehow, though, I'm not sold on the idea of 2.5-way Borresson speakers being a major step up for you. So again, definitely try YG. Amp pairing for you will be critical with these speakers. @KeithR should be able to tell you a lot more, too. I think he found the combo of YG and Luxman to be phenomenal. Maybe a trip to San Diego is in order for you. Bonus: it's beautiful this time of year.

Reactions: brencho

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You might want to consider a speaker from Endow Audio. If dispersion is your thing.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Dispersion doesn't necessarily need to be "your thing" to dislike the need to have your head in a vice.
Just sayin...

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have to admit to liking the Raidho/Aavik and Borresson/Aavik combos I have heard. I prefer the former, but that's a matter of taste. Somehow, though, I'm not sold on the idea of 2.5-way Borresson speakers being a major step up for you. So again, definitely try YG. Amp pairing for you will be critical with these speakers. @KeithR should be able to tell you a lot more, too. I think he found the combo of YG and Luxman to be phenomenal. Maybe a trip to San Diego is in order for you. Bonus: it's beautiful this time of year.

I really have a hard time liking YG, heard the Hailey and Sonja sereval times, Sonja with flagship Nagra system was ok.
Same for Wilson and Magico really not to my taste.
I'm curious to audition the Bayz Audio line at the next Hifi Delux.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I can admit to liking the big Bayz.

How about Evolution Acoustics?

Did you hear the Counterpoint 2.0 at a US show ? i think at Axpona they were driven by CH Precision I1 integrated.
144k for speakers that doesn't leave much $$ for the rest of the gear lol

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
If the big ones are called Counterpoint 2.0, then yes. It would take an extended auditioning session or sessions for me to to fully endorse them. They threw me off when I first sat down for a listen, and I'd need more time to wrap my brain around the listening experience. But initial impressions are positive for me.

Agree with you on Wilson and Magico. They'll never sound good to me at this point. YG I'm high on though. I am not terribly familiar with Nagra. I heard them on Dag, if I recall correctly.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Dispersion doesn't necessarily need to be "your thing" to dislike the need to have your head in a vice.
Just sayin...
You are right. First of all you do not need to have your " head in a vice" with Sanders. Every speaker has an axis. What we are talking about is the rate of fall off as you move away from that axis. To me the Sandets sounded good in the hallway. They sounded best on axis as most speakers
Some tweeters "beam" and souund best off axis. They often tilt the tweeter accordingly.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I mean, there's no getting around the yuge surface area of an estat panel. I'm pretty sure Sanders hasn't found a way to defy physics?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi guys, i'm starting all over again from scratch, my Thiel CS 3.7s are up for sale and i already have a potential buyer, therefore am searching for my futur end game speaker.
If i stay cone speakers my favorite choice today is Borresen Acoustics but i have 2 other alternatives : the Bayz Audio omnidirectional and the Alsyvox planar.
I will choose the electronics later on depending on speaker type.
Any experience ?
There will be a new Gobel speaker in early 2020. reasonable size and price and 92db efficency

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Principle: 3-Way, high sensitivity, symmetrical bass reflex loudspeaker
Driver: 1 pcs. Göbel® High End proprietary long-throw Bass chassis (12 inch), 1 pcs. Göbel® High End proprietary midrange chassis (8 inch), significantly improved Mundorf AMT with massive aluminum wave guide
Housing: Acoustically optimized, constraint layer damping, tropical room proof, resin bounded composite board with max. 75 mm thickness
Standard finish: Real piano lacquer black, aluminum parts in black ultra Matt soft touch with silver colored high lights. Any finish is possible on customer request!
Sensitivity: 92 dB / 1W / 1m
Frequency response: 21 - 28.000 Hz (-3dB)
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Dimensions: 118 cm (H) x 41 cm (W) x 72 cm (D)
Weight: 150 kg without packaging

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
If the big ones are called Counterpoint 2.0, then yes. It would take an extended auditioning session or sessions for me to to fully endorse them. They threw me off when I first sat down for a listen, and I'd need more time to wrap my brain around the listening experience. But initial impressions are positive for me.

Agree with you on Wilson and Magico. They'll never sound good to me at this point. YG I'm high on though. I am not terribly familiar with Nagra. I heard them on Dag, if I recall correctly.

I will try to give Sonja 2.2s a chance if i can find a pair to audition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing