New speaker choice

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How do you guys like Verity Sarastro lls ?

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Magico A5's with a Audionet Humboldt and a Audio Note CD Player and some Silversmith Audio Fidelium cables

Yes i see everybody speaks a lot about the A5's.
Even though i'm not a Magico nor Wilson audio guy i'm curious.
Are A5's better than YG Hailey 2.2 ?

Reactions: KLH007

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Yes i see everybody speaks a lot about the A5's.
Even though i'm not a Magico nor Wilson audio guy i'm curious.
Are A5's better than YG Hailey 2.2 ?

Both are fine speakers. But, I'd say the S5 Mk2 is a direct competitor to the Hailey 2.2 rather than the A5.

Btw, in the US, the largest YG Dealer is also the Distributor for Audionet electronics.

If you go on Youtube , You'll see many videos of YG+Audionet pairings.

Including the Humboldt + Hailey 2.2

Very special indeed.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I've heard both with Audionet gear and to my ears the Magico A5's were more musically engaging ! This Audionet gear just brings out the best no matter what speakers you are using !

Completely agree regarding the Audionet Humboldt this beast competes way above it's price range, cannot think of a better amp today.
Regarding speakers i'm very curious about the Verity Sarastro lls, there might be some owners on this forum please chime in.

Reactions: bmarq

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Both are fine speakers. But, I'd say the S5 Mk2 is a direct competitor to the Hailey 2.2 rather than the A5.

Btw, in the US, the largest YG Dealer is also the Distributor for Audionet electronics.

If you go on Youtube , You'll see many videos of YG+Audionet pairings.

Including the Humboldt + Hailey 2.2

Very special indeed.

I have heard Magico S3 in the past and was very disappointed.
I will try to give the A5s a chance.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Do you guys know about Fyne Audio F1-12 ?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
One speaker that blew me away for it's price is the Cube audio Nenuphar, crazy good for msrp 15k.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Only heard Sarastro at a show, set up by a dealer I knew before he retired. They sounded fine but couldn't get any sort of handle on them in that context.

What could sound sublime in his small listening room were Parsifal, the model before the current one. The gear often changed and it wasn't always a hit but when he got it right the sound was as good as I've heard anywhere. No reason to believe Sarastro couldn't take things to an even higher level in the right room and system

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Another speaker around $11K that is really good are the new Scansonic MB-6B's with the Audionet Humboldt. This could be an end-gamer system for some people !

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Humboldt is overkill for MB-6Bs.
Borresen 03 is a much better pairing.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Regarding speakers i'm very curious about the Verity Sarastro lls, there might be some owners on this forum please chime in.

This does not rise even to the modest level of a single data point; rather it is an anecdote. A.J. Conti, founder of Basis Audio, personally owned and liked Verity Audio Lohengrin II loudspeakers. For me, if I were interested in cone speakers, that alone makes Verity speakers worth investigating.

Reactions: bmarq and bonzo75

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
This does not rise even to the modest level of a single data point; rather it is an anecdote. A.J. Conti, founder of Basis Audio, personally owned and liked Verity Audio Lohengrin II loudspeakers. For me, if I were interested in cone speakers, that alone makes Verity speakers worth investigating.

Hi Ron, yes i'm sure Lehengrin lls sound fantastic but out of reach at least for me and you probaly need a large listening room.
I'd love to audition Sarastro lls paired with Spectral SV pre-power.

Reactions: bmarq

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
YES, you nailed it. All too often, when people say they "don’t like YG", to me it means they didn’t like the electronics, cabling and sources behind them. And the opposite is true as well. At AXPONA I made sure to mention to folks that enjoyed our room that the rest of the gear had a lot to do with the end result.

Spot on Alex.
My Kipod Signature passives have faithfully reproduced the improved sounds from several years of source/cable upgrades.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
A few months ago, I had the chance to listen to the Verity Lohengrin IIS loudspeakers at a fellow audiophile’s home, but was puzzled why the ribbon tweeters (which had near-zero vertical dispersion) were firing horizontally from a height of nearly 60 inches. Few people can listen for long periods of time while standing up.
http://www.verityaudio.com/en/loudspeakers/exr-serie/lohengrin-ii

Additionally, the large-surface aluminum ribbon tweeters’ horizontal treble response shows that the upper frequencies are dispersed rather erratically EVEN while the listener’s ears are positioned at the same horizontal height.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/verity-audio-sarastro-ii-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Are you giving up on the Borresen?

The Cube Audio are quite amazing but tis is an entire different philosphy in terms of design. They love SET.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Are you giving up on the Borresen?

The Cube Audio are quite amazing but tis is an entire different philosphy in terms of design. They love SET.

No i yet have to find a system that can outperform Borresen-Humboldt combo in same price range or even above, perhaps replacing Borresen by YG Hailey 2.2 but it's not going to be night and day at this level.
Yes Cube Nenuphar is completely different and i would definitely pair it with Aries Cerat Genus integrated, much more affordable system obviously but very musical.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing