New speaker choice

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
One brand of speakers which have high cost performance are Audio Solutions from Italy. The standout models in their range are the Figaro XL ($15k) and Virtuoso M ($32k) which my Dealer has in his showroom at the moment. Speaking of good value, I would definately include the Magico A5 on your audition list @$21.8k.

Reactions: KLH007

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Being a recent buyer of YG Sonja , I can only recommend them . I never listened to Borresen so can not give any points of comparison. Among the other brands I can recommend : Avantgarde Duo ( if you have the room for them), Wilson Benesch.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Warmer if you like a warm sound , as the speakers have little sound of their own.
the D’Agostino is indeed a great choice.
if you can get an audition, the amps we used at AXPONA, the Linnenberg Widor (in Germany), was truly excellent.

@asiufy Is this due to the ruler flat response and are optimized in frequency and time domains? Simply put, they will convey whats behind them electronics wise? You want a warmer sound use that respective amp and so on...

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I had YG Anat iii for in home extended demo. Tried to like them but my Maggie 20.7 at the time were more musical to me.

This is my personal opinion, but I think the early Anat sounded better than the III.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
This is my personal opinion, but I think the early Anat sounded better than the III.

Speakers are such a personal thing. One person loves them and another does not care for them. Never buy on recommendation alone, I made that mistake in the past. to the OP good luck, the chase is half the fun.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
One brand of speakers which have high cost performance are Audio Solutions from Italy. The standout models in their range are the Figaro XL ($15k) and Virtuoso M ($32k) which my Dealer has in his showroom at the moment. Speaking of good value, I would definately include the Magico A5 on your audition list @$21.8k.
Friends of mine heard the Audio Solutions at an RMAF and raved about them. I'd love to hear them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
@asiufy Is this due to the ruler flat response and are optimized in frequency and time domains? Simply put, they will convey whats behind them electronics wise? You want a warmer sound use that respective amp and so on...

i think YG has a sound, just like any other speaker. who said flat frequency response is the best sound?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Principle: 3-Way, high sensitivity, symmetrical bass reflex loudspeaker
Driver: 1 pcs. Göbel® High End proprietary long-throw Bass chassis (12 inch), 1 pcs. Göbel® High End proprietary midrange chassis (8 inch), significantly improved Mundorf AMT with massive aluminum wave guide
Housing: Acoustically optimized, constraint layer damping, tropical room proof, resin bounded composite board with max. 75 mm thickness
Standard finish: Real piano lacquer black, aluminum parts in black ultra Matt soft touch with silver colored high lights. Any finish is possible on customer request!
Sensitivity: 92 dB / 1W / 1m
Frequency response: 21 - 28.000 Hz (-3dB)
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Dimensions: 118 cm (H) x 41 cm (W) x 72 cm (D)
Weight: 150 kg without packaging
Any photos yet?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Hi guys, i'm starting all over again from scratch, my Thiel CS 3.7s are up for sale and i already have a potential buyer, therefore am searching for my futur end game speaker.
If i stay cone speakers my favorite choice today is Borresen Acoustics but i have 2 other alternatives : the Bayz Audio omnidirectional and the Alsyvox planar.
I will choose the electronics later on depending on speaker type.
Any experience ?
I looked up your choices, very interesting.

Question, Borresen Acoustics is called ported not open baffle. After skimming a 6 Moon article on them I'm still not sure why.

Any ideas?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
i think YG has a sound, just like any other speaker. who said flat frequency response is the best sound?

@KeithR it was my understanding that Yg speakers aren’t voiced to a subjective bias.

So, they simply convey the signal behind them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
@KeithR it was my understanding that Yg speakers aren’t voiced to a subjective bias.

So, they simply convey the signal behind them.

what does that even mean? YGs leaned bright for many years. Yoav clearly approved of that sound as he deemed it the "best speaker on the planet" with the 10 year old Anat. this was also noted in measurements, ironically. "analytical balance" as JA quipped before.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the new YGs and am considering a pair, but YG definitely has a sound that some prefer and others do not. There also is a reason that warm amps and cables are used with them.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@KeithR

One last thing: Geva claims that his loudspeakers are not voiced, or otherwise created with any "human bias." Seeing my shocked expression, he hastened to add that he verifies by human experience, but establishes the speaker's performance solely through measurements. Does that mean that if he produced a speaker that measured right but sounded wrong, he wouldn't change it? "I would question the measurement in that case and refine my methodology."

From

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlo...erence_ii_professional_loudspeaker/index.html

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com

AS is not from Italy. They are from Lithuania.

If you want to consider an Italian brand, find a dealer near you that carries Rosso Fiorentino - I'm not sure who the distributor is in France. The Volterra and Siena are both strong options and also offer completely custom finishes from leather to wood to paint and possibly even more. If you go this route, I'd recommend Norma as electronics. The IPA-140B would be a starting point if you wanted an integrated, but they also offer separates as well. The pairing of these brands is quite spectacular. I wasn't keen on picking up another brand to represent, but after hearing them together, I didn't feel I had a choice in the matter.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
AS is not from Italy. They are from Lithuania.

If you want to consider an Italian brand, find a dealer near you that carries Rosso Fiorentino - I'm not sure who the distributor is in France. The Volterra and Siena are both strong options and also offer completely custom finishes from leather to wood to paint and possibly even more. If you go this route, I'd recommend Norma as electronics. The IPA-140B would be a starting point if you wanted an integrated, but they also offer separates as well. The pairing of these brands is quite spectacular. I wasn't keen on picking up another brand to represent, but after hearing them together, I didn't feel I had a choice in the matter.

They probably don't have a distributor in France yet, will look for them at Munich.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

YES, you nailed it. All too often, when people say they "don’t like YG", to me it means they didn’t like the electronics, cabling and sources behind them. And the opposite is true as well. At AXPONA I made sure to mention to folks that enjoyed our room that the rest of the gear had a lot to do with the end result.

Reactions: Mdp632

serum

Feb 27, 2014
Have you heard or Auditioned the vivid spirit 2 loudspeaker? IMHO it is one of the best loudspeakers available today at almost any price. The vivid range is quite large and will address most of the high-end loudspeaker price points. Happy hunting!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I made up my mind, it will be Borresen 03s and most likely Audionet Humboldt to drive them.

Reactions: moby2004

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I listened to the 02 in a good sized room by a well respected dealer near me and I left the store unimpressed. Maybe his music selection didn't show off the speakers ability, but I found the Raidho D1.2 shown by the same dealer at axpona the previous spring so much more dynamic. Just goes to show only so much stock can be put in demos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing