New Atlas Lambda

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sorry,i exaggerate with artificial,sure no one system of this forum,also the most cheapest don't sound artificial.

Today near all sound well if well mixed.
I was talking of around end of 80 years.

I had Soundlab A1 with B1 mono,ML 6B,4 pair of ML 20 bridged and LNC2 mono cut at 100 hz and was fantastic system.

After listening Yamamura system i listen sound more natural and magic

Reactions: Springcreek

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Question for Atlas owners, how would you describe the VTA you use? Totally level? Tonearm slightly raised?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Question for Atlas owners, how would you describe the VTA you use? Totally level? Tonearm slightly raised?

Level is what J Carr designs his carts carts to.
I have mine level for 180gm , so slightly back up for less than 180gm.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Natural is what you hear on stage or in the concert hall.
Everything else is artificial. :-o
Yeah right. I guess it is cool to say thay. I talked to my mother this morning through phone. She sounded very artificial and unreal. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MadFloyd

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Level is what J Carr designs his carts carts to.
I have mine level for 180gm , so slightly back up for less than 180gm.
Thank you!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Atlas SL packed up ready to go on nice fully paid holiday to Japan - she will come back with a brand new wardrobe called Lambda

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lyra Atlas Lambda SL. certainly does sound a little different to the non Lambda and gone from green body to purple.

crazy price for new, but Lyra have generous rebuild prices for existing customers.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV-1, congratulations. How would you describe the difference in sound?

thanks Peter.

need more play time - only 5 hours on it so far. It is fuller sounding for sure, still incredibly fast with tight bass and purity is even more so - personally, I loved the dead neutral, no fat sound before, it is no longer a straight line response, so I need to get used to that.

makes the Etna SL almost seem threadbare in direct comparison which, its not.

next week I will put the Atlas SL Lambda on my Technics/Thales which will give me a like for like vs the non Lambda Atlas SL

Reactions: Lee

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
xv-1
Can you further update on the new lambdas vs. non-lambda ?
I'm considering either Etna SL Lambda or Atlas SL non-lambda [budget issues...]. Arms are Reed 3p and Ortofon rs-309g.
Did you compare by any chance the Etla SL Lambda with the Atlas SL non ?
Thanks.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
OK, let's get the ball rolling.

Warning...I'm a Lyra dealer and no writer.

Been living with the Lambda versions of the Atlas SL and Etna SL for the last four weeks or so. Lived with the older Lyras, both single and dual layer for years. We did relisten to the original Atlas SL and Etna SL for this test. My main cartridge for the last several years has been the Etna SL into a CH Precision P1 using the current gain section with a 20dB gain setting. Tonearms used were the Schröder LT(pivoted linear tracker) and a 9" SAT. Turntable...The Beat SE of course:) Had others here for their opinions as well. It has been a lot of fun. And educational.

Bottom line, in my rig, the Lambda versions easily eclipse the originals. In every aspect. No trade-offs. Everyone who participated in these games agreed. Differences of opinion occured when we discussed what was the biggest improvement. That doesn't happen often with this group. From what little intel there was on these carts in the beginning, I did not expect much change. I was wrong. The first improvement noticed, was the drastically reduced noise floor. This allows the lower level information/details to become more solid and present. Not louder, just more defined and "there" if that makes sense.

There is a new level of purity in the sound with the Lambda versions. All commented on this as a very impressive. For some, this was their favorite change.

Bass solidarity has increased, as has three dimensionality and mutli-tonality. Bass lines are more prominent and easier to follow. Leading edge attack is faster, harder hitting. Piano music is where I hear the most change. Texture on the lower notes is more pronounced. The body of the piano really comes into play. Decay is so easy to hear it almost became a game for the group to notice how it changed on different tracks.

The next one is a biggie for me. The music, especially vocals, carries more emotion. One of my friends commented on how he could hear the singer thinking about how he would phrase the next line while singing the previous line. Don't know if that makes any sense here but being there, I knew exactly what he meant. The emotion conveyed by these new carts are significantly improved.

Dynamics are quicker and more free flowing. There is an increased sense of ease now.

Top to bottom balance is excellent. This is an area I payed particular attention to after I had a grasp on the new overall sound I was hearing. Yes, the foundation of the music has improved but everything else has risen to the occasion as well.

I have heard a lot of high end carts in my system. Not all but many. I'm very fortunate to have friends, colleagues, customers and importers lend me some of their best gear. I buy some too. I travel all over the country and some abroad for turntable/tonearm setups. That allows me to hear a lot of outstanding systems. For me, the original Etna SL was as good or better than anything I've heard until now. So my reference was a worthy one. For me. the Etna SL Lambda is the best cartridge I've heard, here or anywhere else.

Anyone that wants to bring their favorite generator for comparisons are more than welcome.

View attachment 61990

One listener said it best, "I thought we had explored the limits of vinyl but...clearly not"
Excellent post. Thank you.

Reactions: mulveling

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
thanks Peter.

need more play time - only 5 hours on it so far. It is fuller sounding for sure, still incredibly fast with tight bass and purity is even more so - personally, I loved the dead neutral, no fat sound before, it is no longer a straight line response, so I need to get used to that.

makes the Etna SL almost seem threadbare in direct comparison which, its not.

next week I will put the Atlas SL Lambda on my Technics/Thales which will give me a like for like vs the non Lambda Atlas SL

Any further thoughts?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Any further thoughts?

I now have well over 400 hours play time on the Atlas Lambda. the first 40 hours I had it on the Pioneer Exclusive P3, then moved it to the SP10mk3/ Thales Simplicity II. Thales is a lot better - tonearm is another level of dynamics, transparency and focus.

I found that the Atlas Lambda SL took at around 80 hours play time ( or was it my ears) to settle down and open up completely then no real change.
It is quite different sound to Atlas SL - that imo the Atlas Lambda SL really could have been called a different cartridge.

It still sounds like a Lyra. It is no longer straight line neutral and sounds fuller - mainly in the mid bass - similar to what Fremer mentioned in having a tube amp inside it.

Positives -
- class leading bass control and drive - large improvement over the Atlas SL
- 3D image and soundstage is improved - My SS amp sounds more like my tubes when playing music.
- purity and inner detail is amazing and it has no fatigue
- very quiet.

downside:
- a little too full sounding - mid bass
- treble is a less sparkling, incisive and perhaps " less real"

Overall I like the Atlas Lambda SL and I am enjoying it more as I have more play time. It is better in many respects over the non Lambda, however it's not perfect and not an improvement in others. Perhaps perfect would be about half of the mid bass lift compared to non Lambda so it followed neutrality a bit closer imo.
I am not sure why Lyra have stopped following straight line neutrality in the Atlas as it was originally released. Personally I loved the take no prisoners approach.

YMMV

Click image for larger version  Name:    atlas lambda.jpg Views:    0 Size:    1.28 MB ID:    138475

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I now have well over 400 hours play time on the Atlas Lambda. the first 40 hours I had it on the Pioneer Exclusive P3, then moved it to the SP10mk3/ Thales Simplicity II. Thales is a lot better - tonearm is another level of dynamics, transparency and focus.

I found that the Atlas Lambda SL took at around 80 hours play time ( or was it my ears) to settle down and open up completely then no real change.
It is quite different sound to Atlas SL - that imo the Atlas Lambda SL really could have been called a different cartridge.

It still sounds like a Lyra. It is no longer straight line neutral and sounds fuller - mainly in the mid bass - similar to what Fremer mentioned in having a tube amp inside it.

Positives -
- class leading bass control and drive - large improvement over the Atlas SL
- 3D image and soundstage is improved - My SS amp sounds more like my tubes when playing music.
- purity and inner detail is amazing and it has no fatigue
- very quiet.

downside:
- a little too full sounding - mid bass
- treble is a less sparkling, incisive and perhaps " less real"

Overall I like the Atlas Lambda SL and I am enjoying it more as I have more play time. It is better in many respects over the non Lambda, however it's not perfect and not an improvement in others. Perhaps perfect would be about half of the mid bass lift compared to non Lambda so it followed neutrality a bit closer imo.
I am not sure why Lyra have stopped following straight line neutrality in the Atlas as it was originally released. Personally I loved the take no prisoners approach.

YMMV

Click image for larger version  Name:    atlas lambda.jpg Views:    0 Size:    1.28 MB ID:    138475

Super helpful, thanks.

Reactions: mulveling

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Atlas Lambda owners what what tracking force did you settle finally?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have ordered a Atlas Lambda and I am now in month 5 of waiting for it. Times are tough with the GFS and the Koestu Jade Platinum.

• Haha
Reactions: dan31 and XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing