MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I was wondering when Fremer would cover the two Lyras. I'll look forward to reading it, thanks for the heads up!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
FWIW----Fremer raves about performance differences of the lambda versions of the Atlas and Etna in the current Stereophile (arrived last night). more body with no loss of energy or information.

Very, very good review. Might turn out to be the best cart if all that works as he said

Reactions: gian60 and MJG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
So the digital version is out now (read it this morning). It's a very brief review - only a couple paragraphs [EDIT: there's more than 2 paragraphs, I was exaggerating] and he doesn't really even mention the Etna.

I will say that it sounds very organic. Mass strings are very beautiful - i.e. natural sounding without any embellishment. I don't hear anything clinical or for that matter, missing from the presentation from a tonal, resolution or dynamics perspective.

The jury is still out (for me) whether it does soundstage depth any better (one of the things that I believe the previous version was criticized for) and I don't believe I'm in a position to judge that just yet... need more time.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Soundstage depth is good enough, don't need any better?

He says it is like a low distortion linear tube has been inserted into the atlas.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Soundstage depth is good enough, don't need any better?

He says it is like a low distortion linear tube has been inserted into the atlas.

Wasn't it you who said the Atlas produced a wide soundstage but not deep?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So the digital version is out now (read it this morning). It's a very brief review - only a couple paragraphs and he doesn't really even mention the Etna.

I will say that it sounds very organic. Mass strings are very beautiful - i.e. natural sounding without any embellishment. I don't hear anything clinical or for that matter, missing from the presentation from a tonal, resolution or dynamics perspective.

The jury is still out (for me) whether it does soundstage depth any better (one of the things that I believe the previous version was criticized for) and I don't believe I'm in a position to judge that just yet... need more time.

Wow, only two paragraphs? Do you have a link to the digital review Ian? I just did a search which came up empty. Thanks.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow, only two paragraphs? Do you have a link to the digital review Ian? I just did a search which came up empty. Thanks.

He has written quite a lot in the stereophile in zinio. It is flattering imo. 5 para of sound description, with more on cart construction etc

Reactions: PeterA

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So the digital version is out now (read it this morning). It's a very brief review - only a couple paragraphs and he doesn't really even mention the Etna.

-12 paragraphs, about a full page, in the print magazine. $13k for the Atlas SL Lamda and trade-in upgrade available. Fremer has always liked the Lyra Atlas and Etna carts. Here "The Atlas SL Lamda sounds like an entirely new cartridge." He likes it.

Reactions: ALF

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I love my atlas sl,but i found Opus 1 and Coralstone diamond very little more natural and found atlas very very little electric
The new Lambda will be more natural?

Reactions: Steveo and shakti

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I love my atlas sl,but i found Opus 1 and Coralstone diamond very little more natural and found atlas very very little electric
The new Lambda will be more natural?

Gian, your adjectives are very interesting. “Natural“ is being used more and more in this forum. And I’ve never seen the word “electric“ used before to describe an audio component. That is an excellent term. In this context I think I know what you mean by both words.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Be Yamamura in 1989 and Imai of Audiotekne explained me about natural sound.

I had before ARC,Jadis,ML,Rowland,YBA,Magneplanar Timpany IV,Soundlab,all very good product,but seems artificial sound.
After Yamamura and Imai gave to me some product like this i really understood what they means for natural sound

Sound come out very easy,without effort,not artificial

Attachments

• foto_04.JPG
    foto_04.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 47
  • foto_01.JPG
    foto_01.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 48

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I had before ARC,Jadis,ML,Rowland,YBA,Magneplanar Timpany IV,Soundlab,all very good product,but seems artificial sound.
After Yamamura and Imai gave to me some product like this i really understood what they means for natural sound

Dear Gian,
You're ready for Lamm and vintage horns ;)!
david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although I am happy to accept the appropriation of the word "natural" in this forum for such type of sound I am much less happy with the intent of considering everything else "artificial" ... :)

BTW, with some care in an adequate system the Soundlab's can create the type of sound you are calling "natural" with most types of music.

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing