Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I was last Sunday at as string quartet concert in the Tonhalle Zurich in their “small” hall. The sound was so rich and full! We weren’t that close but I measured peak levels (C weighted fast) of over 90dB, which is quite loud when you consider the distance and it being only 4 unamplified string instruments.

What really struck me , beside the SPL, was the richness of tone and the ability to easily localize the instruments in space. It just reminded me how epically most systems fail in tone reproduction. Nearly all are too thin and lack body…as well as dynamics.

If the manufacturers at Munich were serious about doing this right they would listen and learn but it might destroy a few dogmas…
Interesting observation. I have a similar experience before going to Munich High End. Please see the link to my article above.
I went to a Vienna Phil concert in Paris. The hall on Champs-Elysées was wonderful. The average SPL during the concert (according to my Apple Watch) was 89dB. I was sitting on row 4, and the hall was small by modern standards. Going to these concerts makes me think how much further we have to go to improve our systems !

Reactions: morricab

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
I was last Sunday at as string quartet concert in the Tonhalle Zurich in their “small” hall. The sound was so rich and full! We weren’t that close but I measured peak levels (C weighted fast) of over 90dB, which is quite loud when you consider the distance and it being only 4 unamplified string instruments.

What really struck me , beside the SPL, was the richness of tone and the ability to easily localize the instruments in space. It just reminded me how epically most systems fail in tone reproduction. Nearly all are too thin and lack body…as well as dynamics.

If the manufacturers at Munich were serious about doing this right they would listen and learn but it might destroy a few dogmas…
How much of the failure to reproduce a real acoustic event do you attribute to the recording, stereo paradigm and system?

For me the ratio between the 3 changes throughout the day, as I meander from mediocre recordings to really good ones.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
How much of the failure to reproduce a real acoustic event do you attribute to the recording, stereo paradigm and system?

For me the ratio between the 3 changes throughout the day, as I meander from mediocre recordings to really good ones.
i would say that it clearly starts with the recording and that might be the ultimate barrier to realism but really good recordings exist. One thing to consider with the recording though is how close the microphones are to the musicians. In my case for this concert I was not very close to the stage. This means that sound will be a bit warmer and sweeter (less string more wood) than a lot of recordings where the microphones are up pretty close.

Assuming one knows what to expect when up close (see the video I posted of my ex playing Paganini Caprices in the exact same hall where I heard the concert last Sunday) then distance of miking vs. distance of listening live can be compensated.

I can tell you from a lot of experience of up close listening to live violin of the highest order (Strad, Guarneri, Amati, Guadanini etc.), cello, piano, duets, trios, quartets etc. most systems sound way to lean and lack the dimensionality and volume (space not SPL) of live. Stereo itself I don't think is such an issue, although I have made some good mono solo violin recordings that could be argued to sound more realistic. Multichannel for a big orchestra might have an advantage but I think this is negated by the relative lack of quality in the gear used for most multi-channel.

It then comes down to the recording and the system quality I think...although ultimate realism might need to include visuals as well (holograms?). Still, I noticed a lot of people at the concert with eyes closed (myself as well often). Turning off the visual allows one to take in more with the auditory senses. This is how I noticed that I could still mentally "visualize" the location of each performer from sound alone relatively easily. There have been many here that say localization live is poor but in a good hall that doesn't seem to be true.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
i would say that it clearly starts with the recording and that might be the ultimate barrier to realism but really good recordings exist. One thing to consider with the recording though is how close the microphones are to the musicians. In my case for this concert I was not very close to the stage. This means that sound will be a bit warmer and sweeter (less string more wood) than a lot of recordings where the microphones are up pretty close.

Assuming one knows what to expect when up close (see the video I posted of my ex playing Paganini Caprices in the exact same hall where I heard the concert last Sunday) then distance of miking vs. distance of listening live can be compensated.

I can tell you from a lot of experience of up close listening to live violin of the highest order (Strad, Guarneri, Amati, Guadanini etc.), cello, piano, duets, trios, quartets etc. most systems sound way to lean and lack the dimensionality and volume (space not SPL) of live. Stereo itself I don't think is such an issue, although I have made some good mono solo violin recordings that could be argued to sound more realistic. Multichannel for a big orchestra might have an advantage but I think this is negated by the relative lack of quality in the gear used for most multi-channel.

It then comes down to the recording and the system quality I think...although ultimate realism might need to include visuals as well (holograms?). Still, I noticed a lot of people at the concert with eyes closed (myself as well often). Turning off the visual allows one to take in more with the auditory senses. This is how I noticed that I could still mentally "visualize" the location of each performer from sound alone relatively easily. There have been many here that say localization live is poor but in a good hall that doesn't seem to be true.
I have made a number of recordings for the Chinese prodigy violinist Li Chuan Yun. I remember the first time I played back the tape of a rehearsal through headphones to him, and he was shocked how "rough" his violin sounded. Close miking really captures a lot of details that get diluted with distance, especially on the raw session master.

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
I can tell you from a lot of experience of up close listening to live violin of the highest order (Strad, Guarneri, Amati, Guadanini etc.), cello, piano, duets, trios, quartets etc. most systems sound way to lean and lack the dimensionality and volume (space not SPL) of live.

As a double bass player (in a previous life...), I share the feeling. I have spent many hours listening and playing in small settings and large ensembles. There is a quality to the way harmonics propagate and interact that just isn't reproduced by most recordings and systems.

Stereo itself I don't think is such an issue, although I have made some good mono solo violin recordings that could be argued to sound more realistic. Multichannel for a big orchestra might have an advantage but I think this is negated by the relative lack of quality in the gear used for most multi-channel.

Stereo has it's limitations, but the main issue I find with it is the arbitrary ceiling it creates for most recording session techs. Combined with the limited dynamic range, non-linear and non-constant polar patterns on all mics, it makes the investment on exceptional recordings a weird proposition and their appearance a rare event.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
As a double bass player (in a previous life...), I share the feeling. I have spent many hours listening and playing in small settings and large ensembles. There is a quality to the way harmonics propagate and interact that just isn't reproduced by most recordings and systems.

Stereo has it's limitations, but the main issue I find with it is the arbitrary ceiling it creates for most recording session techs. Combined with the limited dynamic range, non-linear and non-constant polar patterns on all mics, it makes the investment on exceptional recordings a weird proposition and their appearance a rare event.

This why a lot of people, including musicians of course, feel a simple stereo is "good enough" and hifi systems add limited value (not worth the cost and effort).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have made a number of recordings for the Chinese prodigy violinist Li Chuan Yun. I remember the first time I played back the tape of a rehearsal through headphones to him, and he was shocked how "rough" his violin sounded. Close miking really captures a lot of details that get diluted with distance, especially on the raw session master.
Yes, there is probably a "right" distance where you get a lot of detail without all the scratchy spitty stuff. My ex was playing on Polish television by age 5 and won several competitions. Currently, she is a Konzertmeister in an orchestra in Germany. I recorded her practice sessions for the Paganini concerts and they are very direct but the worst extraneous noises are not too audible. I was about 3 meters from her during the recording.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This why a lot of people, including musicians of course, feel a simple stereo is "good enough" and hifi systems add limited value (not worth the cost and effort).
My ex appreciated good stereo and accompanied me to a number of hifi shows. Her decision on a room's sound was swift and occasionally brutal. She particularly like my Apogees and my Acoustats...after we broke up she even bought a pair of them from me (I had three pairs of Acoustats at that time).

wil

Jul 22, 2015

My experience is the recording is responsible for 90% of a good listening experience (whether the system is relatively modest or extreme).

Reactions: RCanelas

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
My experience is the recording is responsible for 90% of a good listening experience (whether the system is relatively modest or extreme).
Agreed, In the 90's I once dropped my Pink Triangle turntable and while it was being repaired I was stuck with uninspiring digital playback. For a laugh I plugged a JVC boom box into my CJ pre and played some cassettes. The sound was so good I literally cried.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
If you include the mastering process when you say recording, I'd agree.

As we know instruments are tuned (with or without tools) and played by ear (no pun intended). The mic does not hear things the same way our ears hear things, and musicians play the music according to the ear standard -- not the mic's.
Hence I would like and expect the recording & mastering engineer(s) to take this into account and compensate so as to bring the final product as close to the original event as they can. Particularly when it comes to acoustic music.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
If you include the mastering process when you say recording, I'd agree.
Agree,
recording and mastering are extremely important.
I read recently in an interview with Jan Eric Kongshaug who made some of the best recordings for ECM that he used compression in his recordings. So improvements on R&M can have a much greater impact than spending thousands on playback devices.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregm and Carlos269

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Agree,
recording and mastering are extremely important.
I read recently in an interview with Jan Eric Kongshaug who made some of the best recordings for ECM that he used compression in his recordings. So improvements on R&M can have a much greater impact than spending thousands on playback devices.

Matt

I completely agree, that the real power in making any substantial impact to the sound quality, in matching our preferences and expectations, comes with making changes in the mastering of the recordings:

Remastering Your High-End Audio System to Achieve Your Sonic Objectives

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing