Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a few facts about Altec drivers
Titanium diaphragms are sold by cheap manufacturers as spare parts for Altec and JBL. It is recognized that their sound cannot be compared with the original diaphragms. If you don't know your way around and want to save money in the wrong place, buy them.
The original diaphragms were made of aluminum and, in the 70s, were partly made of symbiotics in order to cope with higher performance.

The original diaphragms and recon-kits are still made, very few people know that. http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

The same engineer who also developed the drivers at JBL played a decisive role in the development of the drivers. Among other things, the sound of the drivers is therefore comparable to that of the JBL's.
professional use is still easily possible. Most of them, however, shy away from the prices (quality costs money).
Altec horns are among the best ever developed. The MR principle is still copied by many manufacturers to this day.
if you want to do something, you should damped the horn from the outside but I already described that in the thread.

Alnico is a rare earth magnet, the earth's magnetic field deprives it of its power for years. I've seen measurements where it only had 80% of its power. By the way, Alnico drivers cannot withstand large vibrations or roughly lay them on the floor .... be careful
on the subject of xover, please do not use any super capacitors or coils that have a lower power loss than the old components. the Altec drivers can only tolerate a slight overload, mostly diaphragms break in the process. I speak from my own experiences:(

have fun with your Altecs
.:)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Am looking at buying some vintage A7 VOT from someone who says they are original, however the compression drivers (902-8b, "tangerine driver"?) have ferrite magnets and the bass drivers Alnico. Were they put together like this, or is this a Frankenstein creation? Will it still sound good or should I offer lower without the treble speakers and buy re-pops from Great Plains audio. He is holding so if anyone can help please respond soon.
The drivers work really good with Altec 511 (500hz)or 811b(800)hz, or mounted MR 913 horns.
I hope it helps , i don't know much about A7 I haven't owned her just heard.
can't find anything about the sound exit angle of the 902 whether it is suitable for the horn of the A7

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Had anybody tried or listened to this Voxativ AC-X Field Coil Driver ?

It's specification is impressive.

Frequency response:20 - 20.000 HzEfficiency:max. 108 dB / 1W / 1 m*
Capacity:50 W nom / 100 W mus
Impedance [R]:10,7 OhmComplex Impedance [Z]:16,0 OhmResonance frequency:29,1 HzMechanical Q-factor Qms:
3,1 / 12 V
Electrical Q-factor Qes:0,4 / 12 V
Q-Factor Qts:0,35 / 12V
Equivalent volume [VAS]:148,0 LtrXmss:10 mmRMS:0,707 kg/sDepth:16,6 cmInstall diameter:7,5 " / 19,0 cmWeight:12 kg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
My client uses a field coil Voxativ in his Pure Audio Project 15...they sound nice.

108db? maybe that is the one peak freq? To have a cone driver with 29hz fs, 50w power handling and 108 db full range is a dream ;)

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

The above speaker is

from 129,000.00
The Ampeggio Due is the flagship of the Voxativ line.
It has the rare distinction of making it to the top of the AUDIO magazine reference class speaker list with 109 points.

The Ampeggio Due is equipped with the Voxativ AC-XHB fieldcoil driver – nothing else. No crossover components or electronics of any kind are used inside the cabinet. The sound of this iconic loudspeaker is optimized purely by the mechanical combination of hand-crafted driver and acoustically tuned cabinet.
The commanding width of Due at 47” (120cm) is both visually stunning as it is acoustically important. This is the classic case of form and function in balance. These dimensions are responsible for the expansive soundstage and phenomenal bass response - yet the voices reproduced always remain silky-smooth, transparent, and full of rich detail. The overall sound impresses with explosive dynamics and a phenomenal stage impression.
The max. efficiency reaches 110 db. In fact, only one watt of quality amplification is necessary for full musical delight.
This loudspeaker model is also available in two special editions:
  1. The visually transparent ”Glass Edition” is made of acrylic panels that expose the unique AST® tuned folded horn architecture form the inside out.
  2. The "Art Edition" is a collaboration with the famous Berlin painter Gabriele Schlesselmann allowing for truly collectible and one-of-a-kind expressions that use the face of Due as a literal canvas.

>> TECHNICAL DATA
Frequency Response

25 - 20.000 Hz
Driver
VOXATIV AC-XHB
Efficiency max.
110 dB / 1W / 1 m
Capacity
50 W sinus
Dimensions (W x H x D)
47 x 71 x 7,5" (120x140x19cm)
Color
Piano Finish, white or black
Weight
165 lbs (80kg)

I may get just drivers and fit them inside proper encloures.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
View attachment 83568

View attachment 83569

if one want Altec with double bass drivers then this one is available at Audiogon

It has 103db/w efficiency, 6 db higher than A7 so that it is easier to drive by smal power SET amp.

Also it is supposed to be positined at corner, thus better WAF ;)

Wow this gentleman has lot of nice gears to sell in addition to Altec Laguna.

He has Klipsch AK6 speakres made in 1940's.

But I am not so sure whether he is willing to part with it. ;)

Watch the video at 17:20.

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Back to vintage speaker, for me the best altec runs phantastic with
300b tubes

Great video thanks for posting it.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
field coil wideband single driver fanatics talk a lot about enclosures...its a big topic.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

I don’t think he has his khorns close enough to the wall to get proper bass.they are sealed at the back but i still believe they have to be in the corners of the room Against the wall.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
These are not vintage Khorns but new ones with sealed back.
Yes I know they are sealed but they still require corner placement to get the full bass response they are capable of.out of the corner you will loose some bass but not all.there should be 25 inch’s of wall from the edge of enclosure of horn. Klipsch say they can be moved out from wall but what they don’t say is you will loose abit of bass from doing so.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love Klipsch Horn i have heard it with good Quad II mono amps
(hum and noisefree important) amazing.?
this is what tube amplifiers have to look like from the inside. 2019-1-Quad_II_22_fertig_IMG_0461.jpg masterfully constructed

Last edited:

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019

The above speaker is

from 129,000.00
The Ampeggio Due is the flagship of the Voxativ line.
It has the rare distinction of making it to the top of the AUDIO magazine reference class speaker list with 109 points.

The Ampeggio Due is equipped with the Voxativ AC-XHB fieldcoil driver – nothing else. No crossover components or electronics of any kind are used inside the cabinet. The sound of this iconic loudspeaker is optimized purely by the mechanical combination of hand-crafted driver and acoustically tuned cabinet.
The commanding width of Due at 47” (120cm) is both visually stunning as it is acoustically important. This is the classic case of form and function in balance. These dimensions are responsible for the expansive soundstage and phenomenal bass response - yet the voices reproduced always remain silky-smooth, transparent, and full of rich detail. The overall sound impresses with explosive dynamics and a phenomenal stage impression.
The max. efficiency reaches 110 db. In fact, only one watt of quality amplification is necessary for full musical delight.
This loudspeaker model is also available in two special editions:
  1. The visually transparent ”Glass Edition” is made of acrylic panels that expose the unique AST® tuned folded horn architecture form the inside out.
  2. The "Art Edition" is a collaboration with the famous Berlin painter Gabriele Schlesselmann allowing for truly collectible and one-of-a-kind expressions that use the face of Due as a literal canvas.

>> TECHNICAL DATA
Frequency Response

25 - 20.000 Hz
Driver
VOXATIV AC-XHB
Efficiency max.
110 dB / 1W / 1 m
Capacity
50 W sinus
Dimensions (W x H x D)
47 x 71 x 7,5" (120x140x19cm)
Color
Piano Finish, white or black
Weight
165 lbs (80kg)

If you are going to try “single drivers” I’d be inclined to go for the Arcadian Audio Pnoe rather than the Ampeggio. Or if you just want to try them buy some Lowthers (on which both the AER and Voxativ drivers were based) and build some back loaded horn cabinets.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you are going to try “single drivers” I’d be inclined to go for the Arcadian Audio Pnoe rather than the Ampeggio. Or if you just want to try them buy some Lowthers (on which both the AER and Voxativ drivers were based) and build some back loaded horn cabinets.
Thanks a lof for your kind input.

I had used Lowthers for full range from 2003 to 2005 for two years.

But it has limitation of bass and dynamics.

The only reason that I consider Voxativ AC fieldcoil driver is the possibility of overcoming the above limitations.

But I am not in a hurry since I am happy with the sound from Altec A7 right now. :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
View attachment 84232

If one use this kind of enclouse, Voxativ AC-X Field Coil Driver may sound very nice.
Use this with Fostex FE 206en driver,you will love it open ,fast liquid.sound. you get real 40hz bass
Lowther are difficult to get under control, they break up between 3-8khz can be - + 5db then sounds cruel.
Exsampe fostex

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There are so many speakers to experience. Personally I would love to find out what the fuss is over the RCA 1428B field coil midrange compression drivers ;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
There are so many speakers to experience. Personally I would love to find out what the fuss is over the RCA 1428B field coil midrange compression drivers ;)
Modern version plays Wolf von Langa speakers;)
Here you can buy the drivers...ohh 1428 ist not listed anymore

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
the problem with ECC tubes IMO is that they are used too much in too many amps, and prices have become crazy...there are better sounding tubes that are less widely used costing far less than the left kidney you need to sell to buy 'triple mica round getter black plate gold pin' whatever ECC...
A simple 6SN7 goes a long way, or a nice mesh tube. Often older design is better, but it means you need to design an amp or find exotic amps.

pair of WvL on sale in the Netherlands, the 12" Kilimanjaro for 4.5K

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing