Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I considered that option. But Altec A7 is too heavy to move around and I am afraid of getting scratch on my floor.

Since my wife is away to take care of her ailing mother, I moved Altec A7 myself using cart and elevator in my house ;).

But I am not willing to move it around in near future.

It sounds pretty good in current position with deep and wide soundstage.
I mounted my very heavy and bulky Living Voice Air Scouts and my very heavy and bulky and fragile Apogee Studio Grands on wheels so i can move them around by myself quite easily.

My gut feeling is that it might even sound better in reversed config.
Maybe you could move your Vaughn Cabernet II speakers more easily for a try after you got acquainted enough with them on the current position. That way you can easily judge which position sounds better/best.

Reactions: Argonaut

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
It does sound good from the videos. I like your Altec. I prefer to have a great system dna than a "average" dna in even a state-of-the-art room. Imo, They have some sound aspects different from other Altec that Bonzo posted. A little hot in the high but I dont think that comes from the speakers and amp and not the room. Your beautiful high volume "living space" will turn into a mummy if you follow all the recommendation from people in this forum. If you change any thing it would be so kindness of you to post the video to hear the difference. It can be good data point for us.
My whole house resonate with Altec A7, it seems that A7 fit my house very well.

Also, i enjoy its unlimited dynamics with no strain whatsoever.

But most surprising thing is that it also give nuanced details in vocal.

I attended live concert of Woongsan(Korean Jazz singer) at small Jazz bar in Kangnam, Seoul 20 years ago.

After she finished singing, I drank wine with her since one of my friend know her very well.:)

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I mounted my very heavy and bulky Living Voice Air Scouts and my very heavy and bulky and fragile Apogee Studio Grands on wheels so i can move them around by myself quite easily.

My gut feeling is that it might even sound better in reversed config.
Maybe you could move your Vaughn Cabernet II speakers more easily for a try after you got acquainted enough with them on the current position. That way you can easily judge which position sounds better/best.
You seem to enjoy moving your speakers around.

Once I set the position, I try to find the best foot for speaker which give tight focus and firm bass.

i have more than 100 pairs of Nos tubes that I can fiddle with Line Magnetic 508.;)

Through tube rolling, I can have fresh air of sound.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Harp sound natural with good reveberation through my floor.

After inserting Spiritual Audio power isolation and some ground control, it sound more natural with less coarse edge..

Now I consider auditioning CAD ground control device which got lot of rave reviews.:)

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I would second TheMoon's suggestion for trying to reverse the listening and the speakers positions
Yes! The moment I saw the larger picture of your full room view I thought the exact same thing. You REALLY need to reverse the setup with the speakers firing with the slope of the roof…. I’m assuming most of us have been to an amphitheater… you’re lucky. Your room is a horn (like mine) . Let it work with you not against you.

DBFF02C3-014E-41AE-9E3A-520B90AE7B72.jpeg

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Yes! The moment I saw the larger picture of your full room view I thought the exact same thing. You REALLY need to reverse the setup with the speakers firing with the slope of the roof…. I’m assuming most of us have been to an amphitheater… you’re lucky. Your room is a horn (like mine) . Let it work with you not against you.

View attachment 82901
I appreciate your input.

_DSC1462pet-2 (1)audio33.jpg

But you guys do not relaize that there is glass side panel on the third floor

If I place horn speaker on the opposite side, it will have serious reflection and echo from glass panel.

Thus no more discussion on this subject please.

Also my ceiling is pretty high and the kitchen space back of Altec A7 provide deep soundstage.

As you can judge from the video that I uploaded, it gives pleasant balance, details, wide and deep soundstage.

I will audition some grounding unit to get more transparent sound and rid of any remaining coarse edge.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I expect to get

CA gc3 grounding control unit next Tuesday.

i will also pick up

Nordost QKore system​

this weekend..

A small box of Entreq was effective with my int amp to clear up some harsh noise.

but I could not audition more of Entreq products in Washington State.

But it will be interesting to conpare the top Ground control units in my system.

Altec A7 already sounds very nice, but sometimes i notice some coarse edge.

I hope that good grounding control unit will remove any remaining coarse edge and help to give tighter bass.

:)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I am listenign to Woonsan Jazz album.

Altec already sounds good enough.;)

But without Entreq box connected to LM 508 int amp, it sounds little bit coarse and harsh.

To make it sound perfect to me, I will try to find best ground control units to fit my system.

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
sounds very nice, natural open and uncompressed dynamics... FWIW through YT (I actually think our brain is quite capable of filtering out YT). You may be in want of some more low end though?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
sounds very nice, natural open and uncompressed dynamics... FWIW through YT (I actually think our brain is quite capable of filtering out YT). You may be in want of some more low end though?

I have enough bass and impact through Altec A7.

Although two 18 inched Scaena subwoofers and Lansche 4.1 on the third flooer go deeper than A7, it could not match A7 in efforless impact.

But my Note 20 ultra could not record the dynamics of A7 enough.

If you were in my seat , then you would be happy with bass or impact of A7. ;)

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I picked up Nordost Qkore6 and two Qvive and one Qkoil yesterday.

The intial impression is quite positive.

Some sibiliant got removed and front to back imaging got more solid and palable.

i will also get delivery of Computer Audio Design GC3 ground control today.

I will do comprehensive comparison of Qkore6 and CAD GC3 through next week.

if necessary, i will also order Synergistc Galileo Active Ground Block next weekend.

It will be fun.:)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you are seeing large gains dealing with power cond and grounding boxes may I suggest you reach out to wbf member @Kingrex ? His company has been doing interesting things on the power infrastructure front and he is in Seattle. Could be a good conversation at least.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you are seeing large gains dealing with power cond and grounding boxes may I suggest you reach out to wbf member @Kingrex ? His company has been doing interesting things on the power infrastructure front and he is in Seattle. Could be a good conversation at least.
I know Kingrex well. He dropped at my house once.

We had discussion about setting up dedicated line.

The problem is that if we want to have line inside walls, it would be serious work.

If the line is set up on the wall, it may look ugly.

I will have further discussion with him about possible option.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I got delivery of Computer Audio Design GC3 ground control 15 min ago.

But with Qkore6, two Qvive and one Qkoil and 6 earth connections to my components, both Altec and Vaugn speaker sound organic and full bodied.

Vaughn reall give holographis soundstage where I can pin point each player.

Any remaining harsh are gone from A7 and I can raise the volime withouth hurting my hearing.;)

I will be very busy with comparing Qkore6, CAD CG3 and possibly Synergistc Galileo Active next 3 weeks.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20211023_140326-33.jpg

I brought down Lansche 4.1 from the third flloor to the second with additional reflectors over there.

Elevator helps. ;)

Nordost Qkore is pretty effective to make sound refined with nice timber. I also tried two Qvive and one Qkoil to find that Qvive made my system sound too sweet and full. If your system sounds on lean side, you may try Qvive.

Lansche sings on second floor with nice bloom and deeper extension than Altec. ;)

Vaughn Cabernett II give more precise focus with smaller foot print but could not match Lansche or Altec with excitement and bass impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
You judge ths sound of Lansche 4.1 which go down to 20 hz and Altec A7 whcih go down to only 31.5 hz but more robust bass from the following Youtube videos.

Surpising thing is that Altec A7 give as much as details as Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

https://youtu.be/OGBUpeNqvcY

The Gate of Dafos

https://youtu.be/ulY5cfEA8bM

Which do you like better between Vintage(1) and Modern (2) judging from the Youtube videos?

https://youtu.be/HlNwXvjxcu4

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
View attachment 83045

I brought down Lansche 4.1 from third flloor to second with additional reflectors over there.

Nordost Qkore is pretty effective to make sound refined with nice timber. I also tried two Qvive and one Qkoil to find that Qvive made my system sound too sweet and full. If your system sounds on lean side, you may try Qvive.

Lansche sings on second floor with nice bloom and deeper extension than Altec. ;)

Vaughn Cabernett II give more precise focus with smaller foot print but could not match Lansche or Altec with excitement and bass impact.
The Lansches look nice Thomas… looking forwards to the videos :)… edit: great timing thanks T :D

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I checked mail box to find two more gadgets.

ncf6.jpg

After inserting this 250$ gadget to my conditioner, the soundstage got more transparent with more fine details.

You shall try it on 30 day's return.

51fq-tpWifL.jpg

I also inserted Cardas Rca cap but I had not tested the differnces yet.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing