Luxman m10x or gryphon antileon evo

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Looking for amp to match m2. Currently using nagra tube dac into amp. Trying to decide between the these options:

lux m10x in stereo or mono
Or
Gryphon antileon evo

Would love input to help me decide.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I had an Esoteric K-01XD -> Gryphon Diablo 300 -> Magico S3 MkII*. I listen to mostly classical and jazz. After playing with DAC upsampling and filter options, etc, I was still not happy with somewhat harsh string tone on too much music, so I replaced the Gryphon integrated with a Luxman M-10X/Esoteric Grandioso C1X solo. Very happy with this. Significantly more involving, refined sound.

Have not heard the Evo, but reports have been very positive. I doubt you'd be unhappy no matter which way you go, although depending on your location/environment, the Evo's heat output could be an issue.

* Will be replaced by S3 2023.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for the insight. I believe the gryphon antileon evo in particular will give me that Luxman sound and perhaps more slam in the bass.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Agree, although unlike its predecessor M-900u, the M-10X is not light in the pants. And for the price of an Evo, you could get a second M-10X for a dual mono configuration.

I'm kinda interested to see how the new Diablo 333 is going to turn out.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...hey! I'm listening to two Luxy m900u bridged right now. Light in the pants? No way! Would love two of the new M-10X babies nonetheless!

Reactions: exupgh12

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
So would 2 m10 x give better results than gryphon evo? From the description the Gryphon antileon evo has been dubbed the tube SS amp with the strengths of both tube and SS however some says it’s “dark”. Not looking for anything that’s laid back and slow.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
...hey! I'm listening to two Luxy m900u bridged right now. Light in the pants? No way! Would love two of the new M-10X babies nonetheless!
My apologies. I have no experience with M-900u's and was reporting hearsay regarding the single amp stereo configuration relative to the M-10X..

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I can tell you that the Diablo 300 and the Antileon Evo are very very different from each other.. You can’t draw a conclusion about one based upon the other. You have to listen for yourself.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I can tell you that the Diablo 300 and the Antileon Evo are very very different from each other.. You can’t draw a conclusion about one based upon the other. You have to listen for yourself.
Completely agree. (The Evo is a legendary product and on a different level above the 300 integrated.)

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Looking for amp to match m2. Currently using nagra tube dac into amp. Trying to decide between the these options:

lux m10x in stereo or mono
Or
Gryphon antileon evo

Would love input to help me decide.
You should look at the DAC output impedance and gain to check which one of the two amps have inputs impedance and gain matching your DAC.

saying that, plenty of Magico users have great experience with Luxman amplification. I know of at least 5 friends beside me that drive their Magico speakers with luxman M10x or M900.

I’m not aware of anybody over here (Israel) doing so with a gryphon amplifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSOphile

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...to add to that, I actually contacted Luxman and Magico regarding the pairing, before purchasing the A5s. Green light from those guys, and it has been a great sounding set-up. Using the c900 pre too, FYI.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Tried the gryphon antilleon with MY m6 and thought it darkened the sound.the presentation was quite veiled and unengaging.
opted for the esoteric M1X instead- open ,life like ,detailed and musical.

Reactions: Redphu

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Tried the gryphon antilleon with MY m6 and thought it darkened the sound.the presentation was quite veiled and unengaging.
opted for the esoteric M1X instead- open ,life like ,detailed and musical.
Wow thanks for confirming my suspicion. Appreciate the feedback.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for the insight. I believe the gryphon antileon evo in particular will give me that Luxman sound and perhaps more slam in the bass.
Gryphon does bass like no other amp. If you want GRIP and slam then Gryphon can’t be beat. The Antileon evo is definitely the warmest sounding Gryphon.

Luxman is a totally different sound. Still very nice. The M10x ans new S3’s sounded great at axpona.

Reactions: GSOphile

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Gryphon does bass like no other amp. If you want GRIP and slam then Gryphon can’t be beat. The Antileon evo is definitely the warmest sounding Gryphon.

Luxman is a totally different sound. Still very nice. The M10x ans new S3’s sounded great at axpona.
Appreciate the helpful insight. I’m planning on running the M10x in mono mode and maybe add a tube preamp stage for that touch of analog sound. So glad jump on the Gryphon and thank you for confirming I made the correct choice.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Great choice, imho.the luxman and esoteric are similar in sound signature and more engaging then the gryphon .

Reactions: Redphu

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Im considering pairing a tube preamp. Any suggestions or thoughts. I’m using a borrowed Luxman preamp c900 u which sounds wonderful but as always looking for “better” lol. And it has to go back.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Dealer also recommends the whole synergy with Luxman pre and as a matter of fact I’m using the Luxman c900 right now and 10Mx is already better 20 with only 20 plus hours in. I’m only asking because I have the nagra tube dac and wonder if the HD Preamp would be “better” and would look sick.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing