Curious About Nagra

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Good Morning!

Several months ago I purchased a Nagra Tube Dac and Power Supply. I love it so much I'm thinking about transitioning from my Audio Research REF160S amplifier and REF6SE pre amp to a pair of the Nagra Classic Amps and the Nagra Classic Pre amp. I'm currently using Wilson Audio Alexia speakers that sound terrific with Audio Research and wonder if Wilson and Nagra play well together or is there a speaker that pairs better with Nagra. Obviously, I will go listen; however, wanted to see if anyone had any insights.

Thanks!
Woots

Reactions: asiufy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Woots,

I"ve been a Nagra fan for awhile now. Years ago (like 15+) I had an all BAT system (VK51SE pre, VKP10SE phono, and VK150SE amps on Wilson WP 8's. A Nagra dealer brought a VPS phono stage by my house. I fell in love with the sound, that VPS stayed in my system for 12 years, other phono stages came by for demos, but nothing could beat it, other things did this or that better, but not as a whole. Later on I traded in the BAT amps and pre for Nagra PLL preamp, but went with Ayre MXR's for amps. Then Nagra Classic amp came out. Just one stereo amp and I was spell bound. I had Wilson Maxx 3's at the time and then moved to Rockport Altairs with that same Nagra classic amp. Today I have the Nagra HD Pre and HD Amps, Classic phono/Classic PSU for my vinyl front end.

If you have the Classic Power supply, it can also power your Classic Preamp. You may find one Classic amp is plenty or you may like 2.

Nagra is a great combo with Wilson's, I've heard your Alexia's is when they are well set up, they are hard to beat.

I think you'll be amazing with an all Nagra system, the Classic range is fantastic.

Good luck !

Here's a pic for you:
IMG_2250.JPG

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Woots,

I"ve been a Nagra fan for awhile now. Years ago (like 15+) I had an all BAT system (VK51SE pre, VKP10SE phono, and VK150SE amps on Wilson WP 8's. A Nagra dealer brought a VPS phono stage by my house. I fell in love with the sound, that VPS stayed in my system for 12 years, other phono stages came by for demos, but nothing could beat it, other things did this or that better, but not as a whole. Later on I traded in the BAT amps and pre for Nagra PLL preamp, but went with Ayre MXR's for amps. Then Nagra Classic amp came out. Just one stereo amp and I was spell bound. I had Wilson Maxx 3's at the time and then moved to Rockport Altairs with that same Nagra classic amp. Today I have the Nagra HD Pre and HD Amps, Classic phono/Classic PSU for my vinyl front end.

If you have the Classic Power supply, it can also power your Classic Preamp. You may find one Classic amp is plenty or you may like 2.

Nagra is a great combo with Wilson's, I've heard your Alexia's is when they are well set up, they are hard to beat.

I think you'll be amazing with an all Nagra system, the Classic range is fantastic.

Good luck !

Here's a pic for you:
View attachment 108331
Wow! Just catching this on Saturday. Thank you so much for sharing your rig. Beautiful set up!

Reactions: jfrech

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow! Just catching this on Saturday. Thank you so much for sharing your rig. Beautiful set up!
What part of the world do you live in, I'm in Austin, Tx area if you're ever close by.

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
Good Morning!

Several months ago I purchased a Nagra Tube Dac and Power Supply. I love it so much I'm thinking about transitioning from my Audio Research REF160S amplifier and REF6SE pre amp to a pair of the Nagra Classic Amps and the Nagra Classic Pre amp. I'm currently using Wilson Audio Alexia speakers that sound terrific with Audio Research and wonder if Wilson and Nagra play well together or is there a speaker that pairs better with Nagra. Obviously, I will go listen; however, wanted to see if anyone had any insights.

Thanks!
Woots

Hi Woots,

Just discovered this thread, have you made any amp changes?

I’ve been running the Classic Pre and a pair of Classic Amps bi-amping my Vivid Giya G3s for about two years. I’m very happy with them. No experience with Wilsons, I’m afraid. The Nagras drive the Giya G3s extremely well, but I suppose they may be an easier load than your Alexias; they’re 6 ohms nominal, 4 minimum. Compared with my previous Goldmund stereo amp, the Nagras have just as much speed and transparency, but a better tonal balance and more body. Even one Classic Amp in stereo mode was really good, but you will get more ease and authority running two in bridged mono or bi-amped. The Electro Harmonix tubes in the Classic Pre are totally fine, as long as you don’t try some well-matched NOS tubes. Then a new path opens, but Nagra will not support tube experiments.

If you do decide to go for the Nagra amps, will you let us know how they do with your Alexias?

Reactions: jfrech

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Good Morning!

Thanks!
Woots
Morning!

I certainly share your passion for Nagra. Wilson and Nagra pair well together, as evidenced by the fact that at most shows currently, Nagra is using Wilson speakers.
I have a Classic Amp, Tube DAC, and MPS in my office with Tune Tots. The Tune Tots are fairly difficult to drive; the Classic Amp is great.

In my main room I have the Nagra TT, HD DAC X, and (later this year/early next) the HD Phono. I'm using DarTZeel amplification.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing