Which electronics would you choose for Sasha DAW with the given budget?

Which electronics would you choose for Sasha DAW with the given budget?

• CH Precision M1.1 + LampizatOr GG3 DAC with VC + Lumin U2/Aurender N200

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • CH Precision M1.1 + LampizatOr Pacific DAC with VC + current streamer

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Vitus Audio SIA-030 Integrated Amp + LampizatOr Pacific without VC + Lumin U2/Aurender N200

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Gryphon Essence amp and preamp + LampizatOr Pacific without VC + Lumin U2/Aurender N200

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Others - please specify in the thread

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi abeidrov!

I was hoping you saw my thread as I read your thread and saw your YT videos in the past comparing these amps that I am interested using Sasha DAW.
They are so valuable and your input is greatly appreciate it here.

From your description above, I may prefer CH over Gryphon as I would value musicality over darker sounding and extreme bass grip.
In addition, I mentioned that my room is small and I live in TX, the summer here is very hot. Even yesterday - May 5th, the high was at 90F outside.
I remember that you live in Russia - your Mephisto has a side benefit as room heater, I am sure!

Questions for you:
1. What is your room size?
2. Which DAC do you use now?
3. I remember you added CH L1, curious if you ever connect DAC with volume control directly to Mephisto?
4. Curious about CH A1.5, did it drive your Sasha DAW to your satisfaction? Do you also prefer Antileon EVO over it? I read that Antileon EVO is warmer than Mephisto and Essence.
1. My room is not very big, the listening area is about 5m by 4.8 meters, the actual room is bigger as it’s a living room combined with kitchen.
2. I still use Lampi GG 2, but now with 242 tubes which elevates its performance significantly in my view.
3. No, never tried a dac direct to Mephisto.
4. Very difficult to answer this question. I did not have CH L1, when I tried CH A1.5. Antileon made music jump out of the speakers, it was so dynamic, maybe a bit too much. I was afraid that it can become tiresome with long listening sessions. But I wanted that drive. That is why I went for Mephisto. I think you should try Essence. It certainly should be less warm than Antileon.

Reactions: Blackfield2023

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

GPS

May 6, 2023
1. My room is not very big, the listening area is about 5m by 4.8 meters, the actual room is bigger as it’s a living room combined with kitchen.
2. I still use Lampi GG 2, but now with 242 tubes which elevates its performance significantly in my view.
4. Very difficult to answer this question. I did not have CH L1, when I tried CH A1.5. Antileon made music jump out of the speakers, it was so dynamic, maybe a bit too much. I was afraid that it can become tiresome with long listening sessions. But I wanted that drive. That is why I went for Mephisto. I think you should try Essence. It certainly should be less warm than Antileon.
As far as a power amplifier I would highly recommend the Ayre VX-R twenty stereo amplifier. 200watts per channel. Neutral, detailed and in my opinion as good a stereo solid state amplifier as any.

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
I was quite satisfied driving my Sasha and Alexias with Lamm M1.2 monoblocks. Pure Class A 110 Watts into 4 or 8 Ohms, 220 Watts into 2 Ohms, and 400 Watts into 1 Ohm. Used prices run $7.5k to $20k.
tima, am I right that you no longer use Wilson speakers?

Blackfield2023

Feb 10, 2023
Is Gryphon really dark sounding? That's not the impression I get from Hugh's setup.
Hi Lee,
Congrats on your Alexia V.
I read many posts reporting Antileon EVO to be warm sounding, including RH on his TAS review. Apparently Mephisto and Essence are less warmer.

Blackfield2023

Feb 10, 2023

My room size is smaller at about 18 square meter vs yours (24 square meter).
Did you find CH A1.5 have any difficulty at all driving Sasha DAW? At 275w 4ohm, I would imagine A1.5 can handle it with ease. M1.1 mono is out my budget and curious what improvements you observed vs A1.5.

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
My room size is smaller at about 18 square meter vs yours (24 square meter).
Did you find CH A1.5 have any difficulty at all driving Sasha DAW? At 275w 4ohm, I would imagine A1.5 can handle it with ease. M1.1 mono is out my budget and curious what you observed vs A1.5.
It’s all relative! I think yes, it will be able to drive your speakers. Unless you listen to Metallica at 90db all night long, you should be OK.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve LAMM Wilson is a match made in heaven.
I just think the D'Agostino momentum is a better match for the SASHA.I have no reference for the LAMM combo.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
As has been stated…CH and Gryphon sound very different. Vitus also class A.
Just to throw something different. How about VTLS400 with the 7.5 preamp.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IMHO;
I agree with @tima about Lamm hybrid mono blocks. I heard them with watt/puppies -predecessor of sasha- and the sound was good. It was a better match than gryphon, mark levinson, boulder etc for wilsons back then and I believe it still is. Another good option is vitus which I prefer over boulder, mark levinson, gryphon and especially CH precision.

If you insist on CH go for M1.1 instead of 1.5, which I compared both on same system and there is a big difference between them in terms of sound quality.

If you insist on boulder then go for 2060 or 2160 not the 1000 series.

I don’t think any of the above mentioned amplifiers will have problems driving wilson sashas. In addition to those I heard many amplifiers with sasha or watt/puppies (more or less same topology). The ones I remember are KR mono blocks, a couple of Kondo amps, conrad johnson premier eights, a couple of audio researchs, Nagra 845s, Tenor hybrids etc. Although it’s possible to drive them with tube amps I recommend you to stick with solid state or hybrid amps.

Watt/puppy or sasha are famous with their boomy bass due to double bass drivers in a separate box. Placing them very close to side walls can exaggerate this problem. I recommend you to consider moving them to side where windows will be behind them.

Finally consider getting a preamp if you’re not gonna buy an integrated cause there is no shortcut in this hobby. Dac’s volume control may not compensate the need for a good preamp.

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
IMHO;
I agree with @tima about Lamm hybrid mono blocks. I heard them with watt/puppies -predecessor of sasha- and the sound was good. It was a better match than gryphon, mark levinson, boulder etc for wilsons back then and I believe it still is. Another good option is vitus which I prefer over boulder, mark levinson, gryphon and especially CH precision.

If you insist on CH go for M1.1 instead 1.5 which I compared both on same system and there is a big difference between them in terms of sound quality.

If you insist on boulder than go for 2060 or 2160 not the 1000 series.

I don’t think any of the above mentioned amplifiers will have problems driving wilson sashas. In addition to those I heard many amplifiers with sasha or watt/puppies (more or less same topology). The ones I remember are KR mono blocks, a couple of Kondo amps, conrad johnson premier eights, a couple of audio researches, Nagra 845s, Tenor hybrids etc. Although it’s possible to drive them with tube amps I recommend you to stick with solid state or hybrid amps.

Watt/puppy or sasha are famous with their boomy bass due to double bass drivers in a separate box. Placing them very close to side walls can exaggerate this problem. I recommend you to consider moving them to side where windows will be behind them.

Finally consider getting a preamp if you’re not gonna buy an integrated cause there is no shortcut in this hobby. Dac’s volume control may not compensate the need for a good preamp.
take this wise advice

Reactions: PeterA and mtemur

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
If you are talking about the 160M it might depend on what series it was. The recent Mark II is a big improvement over the older Mark I Ref 160M. The Mark II uses the circuit and parts improvements frome the Ref 160 Stereo which I have. It offers tremendous transparency with my Alexia Vs.
I drive my Sasha ll’s with a Ref 6 & Ref 75 SE and am a big fan of Audio Research. That said, I think I’d wait a bit on a purchase of new equipment in that price range until there was a little bit more clarity on the future of the company.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Essence isn’t a space heater (I have one). It also isn’t dark at all like previous amps. In that sized room it would work great. I prefer it to Vitus but have not heard CH in my system. However I would also try WestminsterLabs.

Lamm is basically done with no succession plan and won’t release schematics so repairs are iffy.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Too many amplifiers will sound great with the Sasha Daw - one of my preferred is the Audio Research REF150 - IMO one of the best bargains in the used market. conrad johnson or VTL are also a great match with them.

If wanting solid state we should not forget brands such as Nagra, Dartzeel, Ayre or D'Agostino.

And just my opinion, I listened to them many times, the Sasha DAW is not "boomy" and can't be compared to the old Watt/Puppy - see the Stereophile measurements section and comments inside. https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-sasha-daw-loudspeaker-measurements

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing