Live music - what does it tell us ?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The drummer was not amplified. And he was the most intense with the greatest felt impact. The bass has a mic at the bridge. The keyboard is electronic.
The bass and keyboard are competent enough they were not trying to play loud to hear themselves.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The worst is when you hear both the direct sound of acoustic instruments and a speaker on the sidewall.

My aunt Carla White was a scat singer in New York City and made a bunch of recordings. In the 1980s I went to all of her concerts, the first one at the Blue Note. Occasionally she would sing at dive bars. Some had speakers above the stage and it was very odd to watch her sing into a mic and her mouth move 10 feet below where the sound came out.

I once saw her put down the mic and walk off stage because the kitchen staff had a transistor radio playing and she could hear it up on stage.

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
my aunt Carla White was a scat singer in New York City and made a bunch of recordings. In the 1980s I went to all of her concerts, the first one of the blue note. Occasionally she would sing at dive bars. Some has speakers above the stage and it was very odd to watch her saying into a mic and her mouth move 10 feet below where the sound came out.

I once saw her put down the mic and walk off stage because the kitchen staff had a transistor radio playing and she could hear it up on stage.

Must be fond memories. Just ordered one of her albums (from Discogs) after listening to a few songs on YouTube. Thanks.

Brad OToole

Apr 25, 2022
I think we measure the wrong thing, but I don't know if the correct measurements are yet possible. Measuring the brain listening to live music and then measuring the recording reproduction's brain reaction to the same music may yield meaningful progress. I am not sure how much electrical impulse and white/pink noise measuring move us to the goal.

Cycling Nut

Jan 20, 2021
I think we all have playback entertainment systems. Not reality systems. And every system is different sounding from every other one.
Do I enjoy my system? Thats my question and I answer it differently at times by being satisfied or tweaking or buying new stuff.
I've been next to an opera singer singing and no system can match the power, dynamics, clarity and there was no sound stage. Just chills up my spine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing