LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I'm waiting for mine as well... :) Expecting it in 2-3 weeks.

I was seriously impressed with the Amber 3 and thus have big expectations on the Baltic 3.
Is the Baltic 3 the same price as the Baltic 2?
If yes, then there is quite a price gap to the TRP...

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Is the Baltic 3 the same price as the Baltic 2?
If yes, then there is quite a price gap to the TRP...

Baltic 3 is 4900 EUR (+VAT), and AFAIK there was never any Baltic 2, they skipped that one... Baltic 1 started at 4000 EUR.

"The resulting DAC positions itself with technology and sound between the Amber3 and the Golden Gate 2. This DAC is a big leap in sound quality over the Baltic 1."

As its apparently positioned between Amber 3 and Golden Gate 2, the obvious question is where that leaves Atlantic TRP. But maybe it's not a question of which is better, but more of taste and flavour, just as I've read that some people seem to prefer GG2 over Pacific. I don't know... it remains to be seen.

Also I think Baltic and Amber line is about keeping manufacturing costs low while still maintaining as much as the Lampi sound quality to them. But as already seen with Amber 3, these new "lower end" models of Lampi's shouldn't be underestimated.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Baltic 3 is 4900 EUR (+VAT), and AFAIK there was never any Baltic 2, they skipped that one... Baltic 1 started at 4000 EUR.

"The resulting DAC positions itself with technology and sound between the Amber3 and the Golden Gate 2. This DAC is a big leap in sound quality over the Baltic 1."

As its apparently positioned between Amber 3 and Golden Gate 2, the obvious question is where that leaves Atlantic TRP. But maybe it's not a question of which is better, but more of taste and flavor, just as I've read that some people seem to prefer GG2 over Pacific. I don't know... it remains to be seen.

Also I think Baltic and Amber line is about keeping manufacturing costs low while still maintaining as much as the Lampi sound quality to them. But as already seen with Amber 3, these new "lower end" models of Lampi's shouldn't be underestimated.
I believe you're up for a quite of some ride with B3 ;-) - seems as another tube rolling madness DAC

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

As its apparently positioned between Amber 3 and Golden Gate 2, the obvious question is where that leaves Atlantic TRP. But maybe it's not a question of which is better, but more of taste and flavour, just as I've read that some people seem to prefer GG2 over Pacific. I don't know... it remains to be seen.

Thanks for the info.
The Baltic 3 looks extremely interesting.
Another tube type rabbit hole to go down :eek:
I'm sure you will be in for a real treat with the Baltic 3 :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

No not really, I agree.

Looking back I really liked the Lampi level 3. Probably the least accurate sounding DAC I have ever come across. So coloured it reminds me a bit of my Scott 350 tuner from 1963.

It was coloured in a really nice way, though. I tried to kid myself I preferred the level 4 I got afterwards and it was more accurate. But it's the level 3 I'd get again 'for old times sake'.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
What is the difference between Amber3 and Baltic 3 ? I don't even see Baltic listed in the Lampizator NA website

I currently have an Amber3 and have been contemplating an upgrade. There are other DACs I am looking at along with the Atlantic TRP. Now the Baltic is throwing a curveball :)

Also with TRP being almost twice the price, is there a big difference with the Amber3 ?

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
What is the difference between Amber3 and Baltic 3 ? I don't even see Baltic listed in the Lampizator NA website

I currently have an Amber3 and have been contemplating an upgrade. There are other DACs I am looking at along with the Atlantic TRP. Now the Baltic is throwing a curveball :)

Also with TRP being almost twice the price, is there a big difference with the Amber3 ?
Take a look at Lampizator Poland Website for Baltic3 information. From the description it seems to have better power supply, fully balanced out of the box and ability to roll tubes (6sn7 and 12au7/ecc802)

Reactions: christoph and Devg

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Take a look at Lampizator Poland Website for Baltic3 information. From the description it seems to have better power supply, fully balanced out of the box and ability to roll tubes (6sn7 and 12au7/ecc802)

Yeah, I looked into the details in the Polad website after posting. The Baltic3 doesn't seem to offer Volume control even as an option. The good part is its a balanced design by default and ability to roll tubes, among other improvements.

Apparently it looks like there is now an Altantic 2 TRP.

Anyone compare the Amber3 to Baltic3 to the Altantic 2 TRP ? I am curious to know how the sound signature changes between the models.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Anyone compare the Amber3 to Baltic3 to the Altantic 2 TRP ? I am curious to know how the sound signature changes between the models.

Not many have even seen the Baltic 3 with their own eyes yet, the first batches have just started to leave the factory as I understand it. Hopefully new owners will be able to comment within a few days (or weeks).

Unfortunately I had to sell my Amber 3 before purchasing so I won't be able to do a side by side comparison, but I'm simply expecting the best since sliced bread... :) Feeling very excited about it anyhow!

Reactions: Devg and Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Apparently it looks like there is now an Altantic 2 TRP.
I'm pretty sure the Atlantic 2 IS the TRP.

Atlantic 2 brought the ability to roll Pentodes, (compared to the Atlantic and Atlantic Plus that could NOT roll Output Tubes) and that gave the Atlantic 2 the additional moniker TRP (Tube Rollers Paradise) :cool:

Reactions: Devg

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
I'm pretty sure the Atlantic 2 IS the TRP.

Atlantic 2 brought the ability to roll Pentodes, (compared to the Atlantic and Atlantic Plus that could NOT roll Output Tubes) and that gave the Atlantic 2 the additional moniker TRP (Tube Rollers Paradise) :cool:
It's all a bit confusing. AFAIK there was the original Atlantic with the non-rollable Russian output tubes. Then there came the Atlantic TRP, which evolved from the original but adapted to the EL34 pentode tube family but still has the R2R board (I own one of these). The Atlantic 2 TRP is the new TRP with the 53 Engine. But of course I may be wrong.

Reactions: leftside

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
It's all a bit confusing. AFAIK there was the original Atlantic with the non-rollable Russian output tubes. Then there came the Atlantic TRP, which evolved from the original but adapted to the EL34 pentode tube family but still has the R2R board (I own one of these). The Atlantic 2 TRP is the new TRP with the 53 Engine. But of course I may be wrong.

Being a Lampi fan there's always something new to be excited about.
Being a Lampi owner is frustrating because there's always something new that you want! ;)

Personally I love their continuous development and that they keep bringing improvements to the field. They're also offering upgrade paths like few others which kind of justifies it. But of course it can be frustrating to not have the latest and greatest sometimes...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Atlantic 2 IS the TRP, regardless of the digital engine.
Just lately Lampi consolidated their production and now only offers the engine 53 in the non Pacific DACs, If I understood that right.

Last edited:
Reactions: HungarianPal

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Being a Lampi fan there's always something new to be excited about.
Being a Lampi owner is frustrating because there's always something new that you want! ;)

I absolutely agree with you :D

Personally I love their continuous development and that they keep bringing improvements to the field. They're also offering upgrade paths like few others which kind of justifies it. But of course it can be frustrating to not have the latest and greatest sometimes...

I enjoyed my GG1.9 for several years and was then able to trade up to the Pacific at more than generous conditions :cool:

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Has anyone come across a rectifier that pairs well with the Tesla EL51s, that doesnt cost major $$$ ( max 200 usd ) and is fairly easy to obtain?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Tic tac time is over and here it goes as always great review from my dear friend Fabio:

Update on Tesla EL51.

“After having made great experiences with Tesla E88CC Gold Grid tubes in my Einstein Pre (my reference tube) I ordered two pairs of EL51‘s from a trusted dealer in the Czech Republic. The tubes are not fully burnt in yet but after testing them on my headphone setup and the main rig today, I feel I can provide a reliable first assessment. So far I have tested these with the Philco and the Shuguang GZ480 recti. Will also pull out Taka, RK and ACME in the next fee days to try.

Maybe I start with some useful information
1. these tubes need an adapter
2. the height including adapter is 22cm - you need a lot of space in your rack
3. the anode is on top so the adapter with the anode cap on top may visually not be to your liking

In terms of sound they need to compete against my favorite tube the PSVane 6CA7 which has become the reference for me in the TRP. I have tested quite a few more tubes in the TRP the last couple of months. If I don’t write anything you can assume it is inferior by quite a margin and thus not worth reporting.

The first things that came to my mind when hearing the EL51 first is timbre, detail and midrange beauty. This tube sounds so organic and real as I have not heard it yet in the TRP. The coulours and details of acoustic instruments is to die for.

The noise floor is very low so you can hear literally everything that is on a recording. These tubes get the silence right: background is pitch black and notes emerge from it in the most natural way.

The midrange is powerful but open and clean. Voices are carved out in a lovely way: rich but not dark, pulpable with all the facettes and colours. Contrast and rendering of individual elements is phenomenal. I immediately realized that the sound is much more alive at low listening levels.

Treble is open with good presence and attack but without being harsh or having any issues with sibliants. Bass is fast and controlled with good attack and short decay. But bass quantity is clearly less compared to the PSVane 6CA7 or the Gold Lion KT77. For a system that lacks in the lower department or if room filling bass is a key objective this may not be your tube. I haven’t moved the speakers closer to the backwall yet (as I’m perfectly happy with the sound) but I‘ll try out new positioning in the coming days to see whether eveb more is possible.

In terms of soundstage they do well. Compared to the PSVanes the focus shifts to the upper mids and treble. It might sound s bit less massive and room filling with certain recodings but I think that has mostly to do with the leaner bass.

One thing which impressed me is that despite the high level of detail the sound is the opposite of being analytical. Often details in studio recordings detract from the music. Here it is somehow the opposite. It really pulls you deeply into the music, removing all barriers such as microphones and recording gear, creating this intimacy between you and the artists. Because of this intimacy I listened mostly to singer songwriter stuff today. I‘ll have to check with more genres in the next few days.

But I‘m seriously impressed and happy that I was convinced to buy these.”
View attachment 66121 View attachment 66124 View attachment 66125
Have you tried these in your Pac/GG?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Reactions: perfusionist

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing