LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Does anyone know what are all the possible tubes that can go in the atlantic trp?
I think the list is almost endless - especially if you consider adapters. Here are some I can think of 6F6, 6L6, 6V6, 6K6, 6M6, EL33, EL34, EL35, EL37, KT88, KT66, KT77, KT63.

With adapters: EL38/E3375, EL39, EL51, EL3N, EL11, EL12. I really like all of these... There are many more you can use with adapters, but I am stopping with those I just mentioned.

I seem to prefer the slightly warmer tubes over the highly detailed/super clean sounding tubes. For example 6F6, 6M6, EL11 over EL35, EL37 and 6L6.

There are many, many different rectifiers to try as well. I'll get around to trying mine some day... Perhaps someone else can list all the rectifiers.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
"...slightly warmer tubes over the highly detailed/super clean sounding tubes...

Nice way of putting it. Better than using the term neutral.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I think the list is almost endless - especially if you consider adapters. Here are some I can think of 6F6, 6L6, 6V6, 6K6, 6M6, EL33, EL34, EL35, EL37, KT88, KT66, KT77, KT63.

With adapters: EL38/E3375, EL39, EL51, EL3N, EL11, EL12. I really like all of these... There are many more you can use with adapters, but I am stopping with those I just mentioned.

I seem to prefer the slightly warmer tubes over the highly detailed/super clean sounding tubes. For example 6F6, 6M6, EL11 over EL35, EL37 and 6L6.

There are many, many different rectifiers to try as well. I'll get around to trying mine some day... Perhaps someone else can list all the rectifiers.
Wow, what a roundup :eek:
Thank you very much for listing them all :cool:

Reactions: leftside

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016

Picture of some of the tubes that @leftside listed.

@leftside, clarification question on slightly warm v/s high detail - "6F6, 6M6, EL11 over EL35, EL37 and 6L6" I am assuming 6f6/6m6/el11 are the slightly warmer while the 35,37 and 6l6 are highly detailed.

I know i am being dense here :)

Reactions: christoph

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Picture of some of the tubes that @leftside listed.

@leftside, clarification question on slightly warm v/s high detail - "6F6, 6M6, EL11 over EL35, EL37 and 6L6" I am assuming 6f6/6m6/el11 are the slightly warmer while the 35,37 and 6l6 are highly detailed.

I know i am being dense here :)
For me, yes.

The more I listen to the DAC, the more I’m amazed by it. Very clear, detailed with superb imaging and soundstage.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

That is really impressive. Must have been an interesting journey to try it all out.

Reactions: leftside

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
That is really impressive. Must have been an interesting journey to try it all out.
Still is interesting :) And then there are the different variations of the above tubes. For example, there must be at least 8 different variations of the GEC KT66 from 1940 to the 1970’s made from different factories with different designs and different materials. To my ears at least, I’m only really hearing differences between completely different tubes (ie EL11 and 6L6) and even those differences are often quite subtle.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
SHOCKED o_O

My Lampi is at the factory. E-mail from Fred this morning informs me my GA TRP still has the old Atlantic engine NOT the DS53 engine. I assumed anything built 6/2019 would have the 53 engine. Upgrade cost is pretty significant. I know it's probably worth it but I feel I got a little hosed on my second-hand purchase.

It's also got the old caps, not the new Lampi caps. Will replace those too but that's not too bad price wise.
I have both two board digital engine
and ds53
I feel we may be putting too much on just the chip and not enough on system synergy. for me they all are good and tube swapping makes any variance much harder to discern.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
One more “interesting” tube type to come into the picture soon ;)

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Ed!
Nice to have you here among the "crazy ones" :D and I'm glad you're enjoying your TRP.
ICs wise - your list is quite extensive and I'm more than sure you'll find the one which fits your taste best within those.
RK vs ACME - to be honest I prefer the ACME as its somehow smoother/calmer and brings the best out of bigger/wider range of output tubes. Several output ones sounded a bit off with RK while with ACME they were splendid. But again if your system is a bit slow in general, RK might just bring fw what you need and vice versa. ACME also compared to Takatsuki 274b and it was not far behind at all. But wait for @adamaley to give his opinion as well, as I believe he has wider choice of tubes at his place and might bring some additional light on ACME vs rest.

Anyhow enjoy your new toy!
Hi @Golum I see you have compared the PS Vane ACME with the Takatsuki 274B. Anymore insight on this? Is the Tak worth the extra $$$ ? Thanks in advance

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi @Golum I see you have compared the PS Vane ACME with the Takatsuki 274B. Anymore insight on this? Is the Tak worth the extra $$$ ? Thanks in advance
Hi;

Sorry I didn't do it at my place as I don't have Taka but have heard it at Fabios place several times. I believe @christoph might have it as well but as I said Fabio for sure has all of them (Taka, RK, 596, GZ480, ACME plus many many more including some kick a..s NOS ones) and afaik his preferred one is GZ480...
If you ask me I would honestly rather spend on few pairs of great output ones for the price of one single Taka recti (but that's just me)...

Hope this might help a bit..

Take care and enjoy the DAC.

Cheers;
G

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Wow, what a roundup :eek:
Thank you very much for listing them all :cool:
Yes, Leftside and I not only have the TRP in common, but also very similar headphone amps as well. Leftside as well as a few others are tube rolling fanatics, and know their stuff.

The standard welcome to new members on Head-Fi is "Sorry About Your Wallet"
Next to that slogan is a photo of Leftside!

Ok maybe not the photo part, but it should be. ;)

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Yes, Leftside and I not only have the TRP in common, but also very similar headphone amps as well. Leftside as well as a few others are tube rolling fanatics, and know their stuff.

The standard welcome to new members on Head-Fi is "Sorry About Your Wallet"
Next to that slogan is a photo of Leftside!

Ok maybe not the photo part, but it should be. ;)
Ha! It's certainly been quite the journey since hearing and obtaining my first piece of tube audio, and then becoming a tube rolling fanatic. I still have a solid state preamp and amp in the living room, but the music room is now all tube gear. Thankfully my next headphone amp takes the same tubes as the TRP :)

I think there are quite a few other tubes that I haven't listed that the TRP can take...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hopefully not too off topic...has anybody auditioned the new Baltic 3 dac?
I’m not sure they started shipping those but knowing that Baltic 2 was a seriously good performer (unfortunatelly not a massive seller) and knowing how LF operates I’m quite confident this one will be a serious a.s kicker...

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
A friend of mine has ordered one. Not sure if he's received it yet though.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
I have one on order for a client. ETA of a few weeks and will report back with impressions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing