LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Can you hotswap on this DAC or should you turn off at back first?
Turn off...might hot swap rectifier....but honestly i turn it off always - safe is safe ;)

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Thanks. How do you know when to replace tubes? Seems like with COVID I have happily put more hours on these tubes than expected :) assume rectifiers go first? Anyone have estimates of lifetime of the rectifiers and output tubes?

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks. How do you know when to replace tubes? Seems like with COVID I have happily put more hours on these tubes than expected :) assume rectifiers go first? Anyone have estimates of lifetime of the rectifiers and output tubes?
They should last a very very long time in this DAC. As far as I know, it's just a tube buffer design with the Lampi DACs, so should last much longer than say in a tube amp.

Reactions: christoph

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I can fully understand the motivation behind the hot-swapping. A need to hear the change of tone right away makes sense. I have a friend who performed hot-swapping on Pacific a few times and never experienced any problems. However, since I am overcautious, I would not want to take a chance.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I don’t have a top 5 tubes for this DAC, but here is a box of what I consider “tier 1” tubes for this DAC/my system.

Attachments

• 57DBCD41-A969-432C-AF61-D365FA3BC5FD.jpeg
    57DBCD41-A969-432C-AF61-D365FA3BC5FD.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 31

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
I have never heard of hot-swapping tubes. Anyway, I myself would never do it. And I don't switch off - change tubes - switch on, either so I am not an excessive tube roller. Whenever I want to use my Lampi DAC, I decide beforehand if I want new tubes put in and if I do, I unplug, swap tubes, plug in and switch on. And then those tubes remain in the DAC for the whole day. At the end of the day I switch it off and next time is decision time again. I am still a beginner user, so I only have a few types of tubes and current tubes usually stay installed for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: leftside

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I always turn it off, let it cool down for 15 min or so, then swap the tubes. I think its an overkill, but just gives me peace of mind.
You can hot-swap rectifiers without the slighest risk.
If you don't bang the hot tubes while changing, you really don't need to let all cool down.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I can fully understand the motivation behind the hot-swapping. A need to hear the change of tone right away makes sense. I have a friend who performed hot-swapping on Pacific a few times and never experienced any problems. However, since I am overcautious, I would not want to take a chance.
I used to hot swap all the tubes in my Lampi DACs before but I do that now only with the recti as it is completely harmless and safe.
With the output tubes I muted the preamp and hot swapped but I stopped doing that.

For the change of the output tubes, I stop the stream to fully release the USB connection, then I switch off the DAC, change the hot tubes carefully not to bang them anywhere when I place them to cool off.
Then I insert the other output tubes and restart the DAC and continue listening.

I do ALL the tube swapping with a fresh and dry dishcloth not to leave fingerprints on the tubes (that could burn into the glass) and also not burn my hands with hot tubes.

LR319

May 7, 2019
You can hot-swap rectifiers without the slighest risk.
If you don't bang the hot tubes while changing, you really don't need to let all cool down.
That might not be the case for 8 pin recti, it usually take more effort to extract, that jerking motion when leaving the socket is as good as a bang. I paid my tuition fees. Never hot swap again.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
That might not be the case for 8 pin recti, it usually take more effort to extract, that jerking motion when leaving the socket is as good as a bang. I paid my tuition fees.
#wiggle, wiggle, round and round# :D
All a matter of routine but I understand your fear :p

Reactions: owen lawlor

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Serious advice - use Deoxit spray to clean tube pins and beside that they get lubed which massively makes rolling easier and saves sockets on top;)

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Serious advice - use Deoxit spray to clean tube pins and beside that they get lubed which massively makes rolling easier and saves sockets on top;)
Do you really want Deoxit inside the tube sockets? Deoxit is good for cleaning, but it might be advisable to wipe off the Deoxit with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) before inserting the tubes. I know a guy who messed up his tube amp by using Deoxit as a lube.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm wiping off tube pins after cleaning with tissue and what remains on pins remains, but I never use it as a lube. Never had any issue...

Reactions: leftside

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I must say, I enjoy hot-swapping when testing different tubes, especially since I would not do it on my system. I would not recommend it to others either, unless you like a bit of the adrenaline rush.
That might not be the case for 8 pin recti, it usually take more effort to extract, that jerking motion when leaving the socket is as good as a bang. I paid my tuition fees. Never hot swap again.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
If you already thought there were quite a few different tubes you could use in this DAC, I've just received a 365 page book just on all the different EL34 variations o_O

Guide to the EL34.jpg

• Wow

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Basically the trouble with valve rolling is you will eventually screw your sockets. Unfortunate fact.

I have had to have my UX4 sockets redone as the expensive Audio Note silver ones I had put in my Big 7 just couldn't handle it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing