LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Last weekend I had a pleasure with several good and dear friends to hear at mine and at @wisnon place new reincarnation of LampizatOr Golden Atlantic Plus TRP where TRP stands for Tube Rollers Paradise. Where this name came from - actually the catch is that as output tubes this one uses pentode tubes working in triode mode ranging from El34, 6L6, KT88,90,120,150 and many more, while as recti tubes same ones can be used as for the rest of the Lampi family. What Norman told me, choice of tubes is getting into hundreds (considering variables of producers, types, etc.).
We rolled few El34s and KT120 as we had those on hand and El34 is/was clearly better than KT120 especially the NOS ones with Blackburn codes on them (xf3, xf4).
Sound wise what to say - maybe I could say is that this DAC is a nuclear bomb in a small package - just fantastic in every sense...speed, presentation, musicality, you name it.
Compared to my GG2, i still prefer mine, due to larger scale of everything and also having a bit more of that tube seductive character, but when things are put into perspective and if being realistic I could live happily ever after with TRP.
Again a fantastic DAC from Lampi team and they really nailed it. Respect!
IMG_0051.jpeg IMG_0053.jpeg IMG_0202.jpg IMG_0203.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
You could get a lot of diversity by buying this and a Big 7 rather than a GG2.

Plus you could use the same rectifiers in both

Food for thought.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I've bought my GG2 a while ago and I have zero itching to change it.
I just had a chance to hear the TRPs in my system before the happy owners took them home ;)

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Hi Golum,
Your use of the words “nuclear explosion” are fun and interesting. In what sense makes you use this to describe the sound of this DAC??

I’ve had Lampizator DACs for many years now; currently have an Atlantic... I’m trying to wrap my mind around a DAC with EL34/KTxx [power] tubes as output/signal tubes. This has to be a first—a DAC to use these tubes in this way.
I think I’m glad I held off trading up to a GA until possibly now-ish but am a little unsure — the tube type certainly seems unconventional and is throwing me off some.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Golum,
Your use of the words “nuclear explosion” are fun and interesting. In what sense makes you use this to describe the sound of this DAC??

I’ve had Lampizator DACs for many years now; currently have an Atlantic... I’m trying to wrap my mind around a DAC with EL34/KTxx [power] tubes as output/signal tubes. This has to be a first—a DAC to use these tubes in this way.
I think I’m glad I held off trading up to a GA until possibly now-ish but am a little unsure — the tube type certainly seems unconventional and is throwing me off some.
Hi Jriggy
Do you have the Atlantic or the Atlantic Plus (with tube rectification)?
The Atlantic Plus and the GA are both awesome DACs at their respective price points but the all new GA2 aka TRP is a real shocker in a rather tiny case. It easily betters the already wonderful GA and absolutely challenges the Golden Gate :eek:
Wow, what a DAC :cool:
Maybe now really is the time for an upgrade, I promise you won't regret it ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Hi christoph,
I have a loaded Atlantic Plus... Yes, glad I held off till now...but I’m a little ear sensitive and need to make sure; gotta hear more about it first. I haven’t heard a GG or higher, so hoping the few people that have hear this new strangely tubed DAC already can expound...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I think I have heard almost every Lampi DAC from Level 4 upwards. Often 3 or more models in direct comparisons and always at least 2 models and this mostly with a few friends and we tend to agree on what we heard :cool:

In case of the TRP, we where 5 people comparing the TRP, the GA and the GG directly in my main system. We all thought the TRP is VERY special ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Can’t agree more on what Chris already wrote...point is that we have this small quite compact Lampi users/owners group in CH/Liechenstein and we do our gatherings rather often usually swapping/testing several dacs and many tubes combos during those weekends. On the last one, as Chris said, we had on hand starting from A+,GA+,GA+ TRP, DerSiebener,GG and Pacific but the idea was to see how TRP performs vs rest of the gang and the result you got from Chris already. Tubes we had on hand, were different el34 and Brimar 6L6 with many different recti tubes and the best combo was RK 5u4g with 6L6. I used words “nuclear bomb” about the TRP as i found it to be very dynamic, transparent, with great mids, while low extension is digging deep and the HF is also nicely extended. Nothing is off balance. Still it keeps nice tube warmth without being to “sweet”.
Having all this qualities packed in the case size of GA+, it just is a small nuclear bomb :).
Would not hesitate to move from GA+ to TRP at all, as Chris advised.
Not to forget GA+ to TRP - more transparent, more details, much faster but all wrapped in more tube magic...
Also output tubes are run in triode mode..
And as Norman would say - run for it and don’t look back - you’ll thank us later ;-)

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Can’t agree more on Chris already wrote...point is that we have this small quite compact Lampi users/owners group in CH/Liechenstein and we do our gatherings rather often usually swapping/testing several dacs and many tubes combos during those weekends. On the last one as Chris said we had on hand starting from A+,GA+,GA+ TRP, DerSiebener,GG and Pacific but the idea was to see how TRP performs vs rest of the gang and the result you got Chris already. Tubes we had on hand were different el34 and Brimar 6L6 with many different recti tubes and the best combo was RK 5u4g with 6L6. I used words “nuclear bomb” about the TRP as i found it to be very dynamic, transparent, with great mids, while low extension is digging deep and the HF is also nicely extended. Nothing is of balance. Still it keeps nice tube warmth without being to “sweet”.
Having all this qualities packed in the case size of GA+ it just is small nuclear bomb :).
Would not hesitate to move from GA+ to TRP at all also as Chris advised.
Not to forget GA+ to TRP - more transparent, more details, much faster but all wrapped in more tube magic...
Also output tubes are run in triode mode..
And as Norman would said - run for it and don’t look back - you’ll thank us later ;-)
I would add one outstanding virtue for the TRP: that it is extremely alive sounding :cool:

Last edited:

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Do you think the trp would be a step up from a 2016 r2r big 7 ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Seems like we have a new top notch tube contender for TRP - GEC KT66. Based on tests yesterday it battered the el34 xf4 tube but was not tested vs Brimar 6L6 which in combo with RK recti worked sublime. 129EB283-014E-490E-B8CF-48D612B6E91F.jpeg
DEA8A45B-D79F-41BB-8064-0076E98D8204.jpeg

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Honestly i can’t say as we did not directly compare those two...but i would not be surprised if it is...

Cheers,
G

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have heard almost every Lampi Model and the regular Big7 R2R is the one I haven't heard :oops:
So I can not really answer your question...

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for all the comments about this DAC guys.
As mentioned, I have sensitive ears, testing better than some children; I test all the way down to 5 and 10 dB, where most adults my age test at 20 to 25 dB. So this means I prefer things a little relaxed, as I can hear vol and dynamic differences in the decimal point range.
I have Harbeth 40.2 speakers now and prefer gear that is not, to my ears, bombastic or ‘overly dynamic’ for me.
So I have to admit that the “nuclear explosion” and “extremely alive” comments made here put me in the category of -I might have to hear it before I commit. Even though I know I like Lampi for years now.
I do have pretty good gear: Vinnie Rossi L2 DHT preamp, the Atlantic Plus, and Wells Innamorata Signature amplifier, so I’m probably fine, as maybe I’ve taken care of the stated worry by having Harbeths now, and slightly warm ICs in the right position...but I do know some gear with big and lively PA-system-like dynamic swings is not for me.

Maybe someone can comment on that... Do macro dynamics largely change like described, when moving up past the Atlantic DAC? Am I misinterpreting the “aliveness” character of this DAC?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I would not say it has huge PA system dynamic swings at all.
I was thinking these days of other ways how to describe how this DAC influenced me and it crossed my mind - you know the feeling when you wake up in the morning after a spring/summer stormy rainy night, you move the blinds, open the windows and there is a sunny beautiful day with the breeze of fresh air coming into the room...well somehow that resemble me of this DAC...maybe sounds like BS, but again that is the "inner" feeling I have about it..

Last edited:

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Haha. That’s precious, Golum :):):) You have way with words. I like it!
I’ve experienced the ‘lit from within’ tube sound before that practically made me see more light in the room. My minds eye was totally seeing bright sunny light within the imaging. It was palpable... So I’ve been there. I know what you mean.
And you’re and great salesman ;)

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing