LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Nice set up! What did you find with the 596 (were you given the adapter too)? I find that one of the very best, especially for someone who likes a bit of warmth that works well with female voices. For some other ideas in main tubes, including the Tesla EL51 go back to page 47, if you haven’t, and take a look at Fabio’s follow up findings posted by Golum (can’t find the initial one). Before the Tesla, I used GEC KT 66 from the early ‘70s and they did very well, but the Tesla, if you can find a pair and adapters, is in another league.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, perfusionist!

Reactions: perfusionist

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Guys, my first post in this forum! Recently acquired a Golden Atlantic TRP. Absolutely happy so far. The DAC came with NOS Russian “winged C” 5C3S rectifier and a set of NOS Siemens EL34s. However my dealer sent me some rectifier and output tubes to try out.
Rectifier tubes:
PSVane ACME 274b,
USAF 596,
Output tubes:
PSVane 6CA7-TII,
Genalex Gold Lion KT66,
Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Overall I like the PSVane ACME 274B and I also like the KT66, seems like it has more "air" and sounds very lush and romantic. However I feel it lacks the high freq extn in my opinion. On the other hand I like the high freq extn of KT77 but it doesnt sound as romantic as the KT66.

Any others I can try before I settle down on one of these? I mostly listen to female vocals (Kat Edmonson, Stacey Kent, Diana Krall, Chantal Chamberland, Norah Jones, Jane Monheit etc. Also listen to Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, Sonny rollins. Mid range is extremely important. Also care about the high freq extn.

View attachment 71160
Congrats on the TRP and your nice setup and room in general :cool:

From the tubes you have mentioned I really like PSVane 6CA7-TII Output tubes the best.

Make sure they have above 50 hours burn-in on them already for a proper compare because they only start to really shine after some serious hours but then they are wonderful.

The PSVane 6CA7-TII are my favorites that don't need an adapter and are current production.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020

From the tubes you have mentioned I really like PSVane 6CA7-TII Output tubes the best.

Make sure they have above 50 hours burn-in on them already for a proper compare because they only start to really shine after some serious hours but then they are wonderful.

The PSVane 6CA7-TII are my favorites that don't need an adapter and are current production.
THank you! Trying them today!

Reactions: christoph

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Nice set up! What did you find with the 596 (were you given the adapter too)? I find that one of the very best, especially for someone who likes a bit of warmth that works well with female voices. For some other ideas in main tubes, including the Tesla EL51 go back to page 47, if you haven’t, and take a look at Fabio’s follow up findings posted by Golum (can’t find the initial one). Before the Tesla, I used GEC KT 66 from the early ‘70s and they did very well, but the Tesla, if you can find a pair and adapters, is in another league.
THanks. yes I got the adapter too. Hm yes I'll check page 47 and tesla EL51 is on my list too! Hope I can find it

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Hi Guys, my first post in this forum! Recently acquired a Golden Atlantic TRP. Absolutely happy so far. The DAC came with NOS Russian “winged C” 5C3S rectifier and a set of NOS Siemens EL34s. However my dealer sent me some rectifier and output tubes to try out.
Rectifier tubes:
PSVane ACME 274b,
USAF 596,
Output tubes:
PSVane 6CA7-TII,
Genalex Gold Lion KT66,
Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Overall I like the PSVane ACME 274B and I also like the KT66, seems like it has more "air" and sounds very lush and romantic. However I feel it lacks the high freq extn in my opinion. On the other hand I like the high freq extn of KT77 but it doesnt sound as romantic as the KT66.

Any others I can try before I settle down on one of these? I mostly listen to female vocals (Kat Edmonson, Stacey Kent, Diana Krall, Chantal Chamberland, Norah Jones, Jane Monheit etc. Also listen to Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, Sonny rollins. Mid range is extremely important. Also care about the high freq extn.

View attachment 71160
Welcome to the forum! Like your room and we listen to some of the same music.
I have some of the same tubes and mostly listen to the 6CA7 TII’s with the KR 5u4g RK recti. In my setup, this works best overall. A lot of flesh on the bone with vocals. Thinking about getting the Tak 274b next and some day the Shuguang GZ480. Enjoy and keep posting.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Rectifier tubes:
PSVane ACME 274b,
USAF 596,
Output tubes:
PSVane 6CA7-TII,
Genalex Gold Lion KT66,
Genalex Gold Lion KT77

View attachment 71160
That is one sweet setup you have up there! How does your GA TRP synergise with the Uni Mono and the Uni Pre-amp?

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
That is a nice setup that you have @perfusionist. Where are you located? I think I have couple of WW2 RCA rectifiers, some Haltron and 1641 with adapter that you could borrow if you are in US. I do not have any KR or Tak to lend and you already have the ACME one. The one that I use in my GG2 is the GZ480, but they are hard to come by.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Welcome to the forum! Like your room and we listen to some of the same music.
I have some of the same tubes and mostly listen to the 6CA7 TII’s with the KR 5u4g RK recti. In my setup, this works best overall. A lot of flesh on the bone with vocals. Thinking about getting the Tak 274b next and some day the Shuguang GZ480. Enjoy and keep posting.
Thats awesome! We can share music recommendations then! Are u on instagram or fb? Yes I am not sure if I should look at the Tak 274b or just get the USAF 596. The Shuguang GZ480 seems to be out of production I think.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
That is a nice setup that you have @perfusionist. Where are you located? I think I have couple of WW2 RCA rectifiers, some Haltron and 1641 with adapter that you could borrow if you are in US. I do not have any KR or Tak to lend and you already have the ACME one. The one that I use in my GG2 is the GZ480, but they are hard to come by.

@shadowlight I think I messaged you on USAudioMart. I live in Boston. I wanna buy your EL 51 pair, but would also love to take you up on your offer and borrow your tubes. I promise I'll return them safely :)

Reactions: shadowlight

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
That is one sweet setup you have up there! How does your GA TRP synergise with the Uni Mono and the Uni Pre-amp?
@AMR / iFi audio the synergy is fantastic! I used to (Actually, still) have the VG Uni DAC. The Uni DAC is capable of only upto 48Khz, 16 bits. Since my source is usually high rez, I wanted to get a DAC that would do DSD. I compared the Uni DAC with several DACs like the Mytek Manhattan 2, PS Audio DS sr, Denafrips terminator, chord Dave, but kept going back to the Uni because it sounded so "analog like" and blended well with the other Uni components. Finally I got the Lampizator and I can certainly say that the Lampi is the only other DAC that blends seamlessly with the Uni components and produces an even elevated organic, liquid sound. The mid range is great and the vocals sound fantastic!

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys, Another question about the DAC itelf (not relating to tubes). Some people say that if the DAC has a good and properly implemented USB solution, the DAC throws away the incoming clock and uses its own clock to reclock the data. Hence reclockers between the source and the DAC is not only necessary, but a waste. What are your thoughts on this? How is the USB implementation on the GA TRP?

Reactions: leftside

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015

Hello christoph,

What is your rectifier recommendation to go with the PSvane 6CA7-TII?
Thank you!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello christoph,

What is your rectifier recommendation to go with the PSvane 6CA7-TII?
Thank you!
I mostly use the RK 5u4g recti but I also LOVE the Takatsuki 274B :cool:

The GZ480 is also great if one can find one :rolleyes:

With the PSvane 6CA7-TII i find the ACME 274b a little too "fresh"

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@chpchpbin Remember to align your preferences with the sound of each rectifier, since the inherent sound of a rectifier is apt to stamp its mark on the whole. While I don’t know about the Tak or the GZ480 (yet), the KR RK is very much on the neutral side. From my desire to be drawn in, which for me translates to modestly warm, I found it intolerable, other appealing characteristics notwithstanding, and sold it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero000

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing