Koetsu

Ralphio

May 11, 2015
Currently any new or rebuilt Koetsu mono cartridges, be them stone or wood bodies, are supplied with aluminum cantilever and specified at approx. 3g tracking force. I'm not sure of the stylus profile but will snap a micro photo and post it.
This thing tracks beautifully on the AMG arm but am going to give it a ride on newly acquired Glanz MH-124S once I get an armboard sorted.

Koetsu KOETSU MC Cartridge Rosewood Signature
View larger image

Koetsu Mono Rosewood Signature Monaural MC Stereo Cartridge Made in Japan​

Purchase number: Pieces
This product will be backorderedpurchase
I would like to order
Inquire about this product

specification​

Power generation method: MC
Output voltage: 0.4mV
Appropriate stylus pressure: 3.0g (standard)
Internal impedance: 5.5? Own
weight: 11g
Coil wire: High-purity copper
Magnet: Samalium cobalt
Cantilever: Aluminum
Body: Purple Dan & Clear

Reactions: mtemur

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Hi Koetsu experts:

I recently got a retipped/rebuilt Onyx Platinum and am trying to mount on my Schroeder CB-9 tonearm with its standard headshell. This is the old style cartridge with unthreaded screw holes, which requires adding nuts to secure it. I'm running into an issue (probably newbie) where I don't have enough room to set up the cartridge so it's tangential at the null point (using a Smartractor). It's probably because the nuts and/or the screw heads are just a little too big to allow the full movement. I was curious if there are better ways to attach the cartridge - are there shallower profile screws/nuts that I can use? BTW, the screws are upside down since there's no room underneath for attaching nuts; I don't understand the design as you *have* to use nuts to secure it, but it does not have as much clearance for them. Not sure how these used to attached without the required clearance.

Thanks!
Anil

IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2464.jpg IMG_2463.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Currently any new or rebuilt Koetsu mono cartridges, be them stone or wood bodies, are supplied with aluminum cantilever and specified at approx. 3g tracking force. I'm not sure of the stylus profile but will snap a micro photo and post it.
This thing tracks beautifully on the AMG arm but am going to give it a ride on newly acquired Glanz MH-124S once I get an armboard sorted.

Koetsu Mono Rosewood Signature Monaural MC Stereo Cartridge Made in Japan​

Purchase number: Pieces
This product will be backorderedpurchase
I would like to order
Inquire about this product

specification​

Power generation method: MC
Output voltage: 0.4mV
Appropriate stylus pressure: 3.0g (standard)
Internal impedance: 5.5? Own
weight: 11g
Coil wire: High-purity copper
Magnet: Samalium cobalt
Cantilever: Aluminum
Body: Purple Dan & Clear

Is this rebuilding using aluminum cantilever done by Koetsu Japan?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Koetsu experts:

I recently got a retipped/rebuilt Onyx Platinum and am trying to mount on my Schroeder CB-9 tonearm with its standard headshell. This is the old style cartridge with unthreaded screw holes, which requires adding nuts to secure it. I'm running into an issue (probably newbie) where I don't have enough room to set up the cartridge so it's tangential at the null point (using a Smartractor). It's probably because the nuts and/or the screw heads are just a little too big to allow the full movement. I was curious if there are better ways to attach the cartridge - are there shallower profile screws/nuts that I can use? BTW, the screws are upside down since there's no room underneath for attaching nuts; I don't understand the design as you *have* to use nuts to secure it, but it does not have as much clearance for them. Not sure how these used to attached without the required clearance.

Thanks!
Anil

View attachment 89778 View attachment 89779 View attachment 89780
I would imagine that you should loosen the top bolt and move or adjust the offset.

Ralphio

May 11, 2015
Yes, Koetsu Japan. Pre-rebuild the cartridge was a stereo variant with boron cantilever and fine-line stylus but I decided to go mono for this segment of it's life cycle. When I ordered the rebuild through dealer I was advised that the aluminum cant is standard for mono.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hi Koetsu experts:

Thanks!
Anil
Which geometry are you using?

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
Hey Anil,

I have also run into this with the schröders. I can't tell what the head of the mounting screw looks like but if you invert them you may get a little more rotation. What you really need is mounting screws with a nut like the one pictured below. I have also had good luck using threaded inserts as nuts in this situation which can be quickly sourced via amazon. The 6mm long ones in the link may be long enough to allow you to remove the knurling on the bottom with a file and get the last little bit of rotation.

dave

IMG_8078.jpeg

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Hey Anil,

I have also run into this with the schröders. I can't tell what the head of the mounting screw looks like but if you invert them you may get a little more rotation. What you really need is mounting screws with a nut like the one pictured below. I have also had good luck using threaded inserts as nuts in this situation which can be quickly sourced via amazon. The 6mm long ones in the link may be long enough to allow you to remove the knurling on the bottom with a file and get the last little bit of rotation.

dave

View attachment 89784
Great, thanks Dave! I will definitely check these out. Do you happen to remember what these are called, so can I search on Amazon? Now that you mentioned filing, it gives me an idea to see if I can knock off some corners of the nuts to give the cartridge mounting plate a little more room to swivel.

Anil

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
I would imagine that you should loosen the top bolt and move or adjust the offset.
Hi jadis: the issue is that even if loosen the top bolt (which I have done to move the plate) I don't have much room to "straighten out" the mounting plate so it's nicely parallel to the grid lines.

Anil

Reactions: jadis

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Can you reverse the bolt/nut to be bolt through top and nut on the bottom? My Koetsu mounting hardware is rounded. Both the bolt and nut. The nut has a cut for a flat screwdriver. Very slim.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi jadis: the issue is that even if loosen the top bolt (which I have done to move the plate) I don't have much room to "straighten out" the mounting plate so it's nicely parallel to the grid lines.

Anil
I see. So it's about changing into a smaller nut as some have mentioned here, or put the nut the the bottom. Somehow I had managed to do that a few times with the Black and Rosewood which have no threads too. Good luck.

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
Anil,

They are simply called threaded inserts. The amazon link in my above post takes you to an assortment for $12. The forum software does not make the clickable link very obvious so it is included below.

Threaded Inserts

Reactions: Anil Kalagatla

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Ralphio,

What exactly
did you - or your expert craftsman – perform to change the system to Mono ?

Thanks
& regards

Urs

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
The Ortofon SPU N series come with some round nuts slotted for a peg drive. As best as I can tell in situ they’re the same diameter as the screw heads at 4.5mm. I don’t see them available separately from Ortofon but something similar can be found with a web search for cartridge mounting kit.
9485D5A3-05FD-45A9-859E-2B29B4D1056D.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing