I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Jarek, so subtle I have no idea.
They haven't replaced the Vibraplane with a Stacore, have they?!
Even yr platforms would struggle w these weights.

Hi Mike, as you know, there are different prices on different streets; it is patently so in audio.

...AF1 streets, it is the low $40k USD to mid $60k USD; depending, of course, on the street.

I would guess that it is the same for the AS, some streets are at different prices...

So, Mike, if you are pricing the AS at the AF1 price, that would be also in the mid $40k USD to mid $60k price range?

Steve, you have made some very good points regarding the AF Zero, interesting machine and designer...I love his designs starting with the big Micro Seiki machines... I love David too...

Cheers!
ALF

i think David responded about that here

and it's fair that i have no idea what anyone else paid for their AS, it's none of my business.

it's probably better for me to withdraw from any price conjecture. i'm out of my depth and not a TechDas intender in any case. let's get back to performance and design.

Jarek, I'm out of such uber heavy tt rigs myself. I'm listening in an attic roof space w suspended floor.
My money is on the new intended Technics SP10R as my final final tt purchase if my current analog doesn't match up to the server/dac I'm planning to buy next yr.

Jarek, I'm out of such uber heavy tt rigs myself. I'm listening in an attic roof space w suspended floor.
My money is on the new intended Technics SP10R as my final final tt purchase if my current analog doesn't match up to the server/dac I'm planning to buy next yr.

Loose control, invest in the floor reinforcement!

Hi Mike, as you know, there are different prices on different streets; it is patently so in audio.

...AF1 streets, it is the low $40k USD to mid $60k USD; depending, of course, on the street.

I would guess that it is the same for the AS, some streets are at different prices...

So, Mike, if you are pricing the AS at the AF1 price, that would be also in the mid $40k USD to mid $60k price range?

Steve, you have made some very good points regarding the AF Zero, interesting machine and designer...I love his designs starting with the big Micro Seiki machines... I love David too...

Cheers!
ALF

It seems to me that any discussion of the pricing of new American Sound is sort of besides the point. This is a one-off effort with I think six (6) total units being made. We know of at least four which are spoken for just to WBF members. It is not a commercially available product like the TechDas AF1 is. Give the excitement generated by this one thread, I bet David could have sold many more of these if he had the motors and control units. Their number is limited so the production run of the table is limited, at least this is my understanding from this thread.

The other aspect about the pricing which has only been mentioned in passing is this: it seems to me that this is a direct to friends/family/early adopters (while they last) kind of arrangement. It is for intents and purposes, a whole sale deal to the lucky purchasers through David directly. There is no middle distribution channel or party who takes his cut, so it does not have the mark up that conventional dealer/distributor supported products incur. If I understand what has been mentioned, the price of this at wholesale to the buyers is roughly the same as the full US retail price of the TD AF1, which I think is around $100+K. If the AS table went through similar channels, and it was a production component, then the price would be much higher.

I am interested in learning a bit more about the belt. What is it made of? Is it compliant? Does the amount of "free" belt not wrapped around or in contact with the drive pulley or platter matter? I presume it takes a while for the platter to get up to speed, but I really don't know. I read Marc write that it is a high torque motor. Is this true or is it a low/med torque motor that relies on the inertia of the massive platter to keep accurate and consistent speed. I assume all of these things were thoroughly investigated in the 70s when the original AS table was designed but I am curious to learn what the details actually are.

Dear Khun Tang,

I use a thin leather mat but you know how they are, too thin and sound is harsh too thick it's dead and dark, you need just right :)! Recently I found another mat material that's just as tonally rich, balanced and alive as the leather mat but a with very different presentation, really like adding a new arm and cartridge. Both are included with the table, one can look at it as having 8 arms and cartridges on the same table instead of 4 by switching mats. Metal mats or different upper platters aren't recommended they interfere with the purity of the sound and only add coloration.

david

David, are you and Tang talking about the same thing? I thought Tang was suggesting a thin layer of leather under the turntable plinth or steel plate and above the rack support. It seems you are talking about a record mat between the LP and the platter.

Just to put all this conjecture to rest; AS isn't a commercial product and there's not going to be a production run, it's limited only to this one very small individually hand machined lot. Reference to AF-1's retail price was just an indicator that it's in the 6 figures, those who got one understood this and are the only ones who know the actual cost. Further, aside from floatation principle there's no similarity conceptually, intellectually, physically, mechanically and certainly sonically between AS and Techdas turntables. I have my AF1 too!

david

David, are you and Tang talking about the same thing? I thought Tang was suggesting a thin layer of leather under the turntable plinth or steel plate and above the rack support. It seems you are talking about a record mat between the LP and the platter.

My mistake, of course anything the turntable is sitting on and comes in contact with can have an effect. Right now I use some industrial rubber under the tt's feet.

I am interested in learning a bit more about the belt. What is it made of? Is it compliant? Does the amount of "free" belt not wrapped around or in contact with the drive pulley or platter matter? I presume it takes a while for the platter to get up to speed, but I really don't know. I read Marc write that it is a high torque motor. Is this true or is it a low/med torque motor that relies on the inertia of the massive platter to keep accurate and consistent speed. I assume all of these things were thoroughly investigated in the 70s when the original AS table was designed but I am curious to learn what the details actually are.

The motor is high torque but but amount of torque and speed is regulated by the motor controller in operation, it's not running at max all the time. There's no servo, feedback look or speed controller. Speed is adjusted by changing frequency in the motor controller you adjust it the once manually according to your electricity, belt tension and motor's parameters. Supplied belt is none compliant but one can experiment with different types including thread.

david

Just to put all this conjecture to rest; AS isn't a commercial product and there's not going to be a production run, it's limited only to this one very small individually hand machined lot. Reference to AF-1's retail price was just an indicator that it's in the 6 figures, those who got one understood this and are the only ones who know the actual cost. Further, aside from floatation principle there's no similarity conceptually, intellectually, physically, mechanically and certainly sonically between AS and Techdas turntables. I have my AF1 too!

david

As far as I see the only common aspect is the motor and controller of the Techdas Air Force Zero - you merged in the same solution! Brilliant minds sometimes think similarly. :D

Hi David, no way am I comparing my inauspicious direct rim drive tt to your masterpiece.
But my motor also has no feedback or servo, one sets the speed, and corrects at intervals when needed.
The designer tried prototypes w servos and feedback, but despite speed staying more stable over longer time periods, the resultant sound was colder and less involving due presumably to "hunt/correct" jitter.
Fascinating to see your cost no object example also jettisons the idea of close control and moment to moment speed adjustments, presumably for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Let me help hyping this tt:p.

"You never actually own an American Sound. You merely look after it for the next generation."

Now Patek Philippe will sue me.

Tang

Let me help hyping this tt:p.

"You never actually own an American Sound. You merely look after it for the next generation."

Now Patek Philippe will sue me.

Tang

Brilliant. I was just mentioning to David tonight that this TT should last me until the pine box..I'm 55 now.

I own one of the last Barco CRT projectors, certainly there are only one or two in the UK.
Some parts are unobtanium, and there is only one tech here who can fix it.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't break down.
I do hope these one of a kind AS-2000 motors are able to be sorted if they fault.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing