How do you clean your stylus?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For real gummy stylus, instead of a Q-tip with a drop of stylus cleaning fluid ...
https://www.living.ca/en/p-366558-l...n3XHk6jvgLM3GwGkCfuKicaAruXEALw_wcB#sku378221

https://www.elfcosmetics.com/eyesha...9GNylvsqQKDPsg1b0vj2o-mx9gEfHthYaAry0EALw_wcB

Super inexpensive @ all your drug stores in the ladies' makeup section.
Drop one drop of quality stylus fluid on the tip of the sponge and apply under your stylus few times, up and down. Dry with the other end.

Optional brushes (super inexpensive, and available @ all drugstores; women makeup department):

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Anyone have any idea as to how the ME ‘supposedly’ removes all of the gunk, including the black burnt on vinyl? I fail to see how it can do this, particularly if one uses it dry.
The only thing IME that seems to remove the black vinyl is Last stylus cleaner, which is a mix of Teflon and some alcohol, AFAIK. Therein lies the problem with the Last cleaner, the alcohol can dry the components in the suspension...but it seems to work on the burnt vinyl on the stylus!
Interesting question

Melamine formaldehyde foam is at a microscopic level an abrasive claimed to be nearly as hard as glass

I assume it buffs the diamond of the vinyl black, I don’t think there is any chemical dissolution

It is impressive under the microscopic how clean it leaves a stylus, I agree with others to cut the eraser up and use “floppies”

Would u really want to put something with pvc solvent properties on your stylus?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Another question, which I have asked several other a’philes about, and none have an answer, is it detrimental to have the black vinyl build up on the stylus?
Perhaps it is a continuous burn on/ burn off process?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
IMG_3833.JPG

Does anyone use something like this? It is basically an ultrasonic cleaner which is used with a drop of cleaning fluid.
I used it quit a bit back in the day without problems until I read that the fluid could damage the cantilever. I've since
used the Onzow - again without problem. Mine is sort of filthy but I just learned that you can rinse the thing with water
and reuse it. Good to know.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
View attachment 47867

Does anyone use something like this? It is basically an ultrasonic cleaner which is used with a drop of cleaning fluid.
I used it quit a bit back in the day without problems until I read that the fluid could damage the cantilever. I've since
used the Onzow - again without problem. Mine is sort of filthy but I just learned that you can rinse the thing with water
and reuse it. Good to know.

Used to own one. It is basically an ultrasonic cleaner, and if I remember didn’t need a fluid application. They are quite effective.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Another question, which I have asked several other a’philes about, and none have an answer, is it detrimental to have the black vinyl build up on the stylus?
Another good question

Although there is a dogma that the vinyl melts and then freezes as it travels thru the groove, and this is often repeated, I have been unable to find a study that actually demonstrates this , if others have found a study rather than a quote please forward to me

I was able to find evidence that stylus buries itself more into a concave modulation than a convex

There appears some controversy that the stylus produces adequate heat to melt it in the time of contact

I thought this discussion on cutting vinyl with heating the stylus might be of interest

It would appear that heating of itself might not be an issue with the vinyl, but more the stylus
Stylus heating

Reactions: DaveyF

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
We are certainly discussing this topic, Ron. Can't say we will reach a consensus. I think we agree that a soft brush, or even a dense short brush like the ones that come with some cartridges, are fine for removing dust buildup. Some prefer the Onzow or similar goo/gel for getting off dust. What we do not seem to agree on is how to remove the baked on gunk, melted vinyl, or whatever it is.

Some have found that the Magic Eraser (ME) works great for this because it uses friction or abrasion to scrub off or sand off the crud. One must be careful with this method. Others think this is far too risky and prefer some kind of liquid, but the concern there is that it might migrate up the cantilever and dry out the rubber suspension.

I think there are two camps. I would experiment with both methods and see what works for you and decide with which you are more comfortable. Consensus is a difficult thing to achieve in this hobby.

Ron,

I would add to Peter's summary that we agree (I think) that it is important regularly to examine your cartridge - its stylus and cantilever primarily. I think we agree there is a positive relationship between clean records and clean styli - they promote each other. I hope that is small amount of agreement. :)

The 'discussion' about the Onzow cleaner has gone on for near 10 years, and obviously continues yet today. I think this in itself says that its acceptance continues to be mixed. I perceive two Onzow issues discussed in various threads, broadly speaking they are: a) safety or potential risk and b) effectiveness. The safety issue seems primarily oriented to carelessness / user error. I do not think there is much of a safety issue associated to the material itself interacting with the stylus/cantilever, but I'm not sure that issue is non-existent. I believe effectiveness remains an open issue.

Here's a thread from 2009:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...onzow-zerodust

2012:
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...i%2Fsearch.mpl

2015:
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...i%2Fsearch.mpl

2018:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...us-tip-cleaner

Just a quick sampling from two places easily searched - there are many many other threads on the topic..

As regards the Magic Eraser: it comes up as a method when the Onzow is discussed and sometimes as its own topic. Peter has rightly mentioned Doug Deacon's presentation of, and I suppose advocacy for, the ME which dates to 2004. I remember well reading the original discussion while it was on-going and I still think it is the best place to start, particularly Doug's opening post, to understand use of the Magic Eraser. You can find it on Audiogon here: DIY stylus-cleaning magic long

I perceive primarily one Magic Eraser issue and that is: safety of its use / fear of its use. What does not seem to be an issue is its effectiveness. I perceive the safety/fear issue is largely conceptual - everyone seems to grasp the potential for harm through carelessness but I do not believe any (many?) claim that melamine foam is inherently harmful to styli, that is, it has no properties that will deleteriously interact with, or damage a stylus. However potential for harm is reflected in fear of use.

What is lacking in both instances is a sufficient aggregration of clear evidence that the safety issue is realized for either product. We do have anecdotal reports - which should not be denied out of hand - but that's about it. (Of course they're not anecdotal to those living with damage, if there is such.)

I will say I have not heard first hand accounts of anyone "ripping the stylus off the cantilever" with a Magic Eraser. In fact I've heard more "the maid broke my cartridge" stories than damage from either product.

We have come a ways from the days when a matchbook striker was the recommended cleaning tool.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I think that’s a superb summary

As to ME I perceive the concern about its usage but I have reviewed a lot of postive usage , and many concern , but no actually issues with its usage though I would be more than happy to review them. I have a large personal experience of 10plus carts for ten years ie 100 usage years of experience but am happy to accept that there may be negative experiences

I am a micro surgeon and appreciate others may not have my feel for pressure:)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The safety issue seems primarily oriented to carelessness / user error. I do not think there is much of a safety issue associated to the material itself interacting with the stylus/cantilever,

From one of the links you sent: "Rather than just lowering the stylus onto the Onzow, and lifting the cartridge right up, I left the stylus rest on it for a minute or so. After a minute or so I raised the cartridge and the whole cantilever fell off."

I cannot imagine a more appropriate use of it, yet, the cantilever still snapped off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

At the very least, I would suggest that it is detrimental to the sound because the true shape of the stylus is not navigating the tiny grooves. One does hear the differences between various stylus shapes. If the black gunk is built up enough, one no longer has the original stylus shape.

I guess you could test this for yourself by listening to your system with the gunked-up stylus, and then cleaning it, and then listening again.

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
From one of the links you sent: "Rather than just lowering the stylus onto the Onzow, and lifting the cartridge right up, I left the stylus rest on it for a minute or so. After a minute or so I raised the cartridge and the whole cantilever fell off."

I cannot imagine a more appropriate use of it, yet, the cantilever still snapped off.

It could be that the user who reported this incident had a faulty cartridge to begin with, the last straw was putting it onto the Onzow. A similar situation, wherein the cantilever fell off may have been just around the corner regardless of the interaction with the Onzow.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'll report back after having more time to inspect closely. It's certainly nice being able to set the ST-50 on the platter and lower the stylus into the goo via the queueing lever. I did need to raise the queueing device a bit to provide enough clearance, but that seems a worthwhile trade-off.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
At the very least, I would suggest that it is detrimental to the sound because the true shape of the stylus is not navigating the tiny grooves. One does hear the differences between various stylus shapes. If the black gunk is built up enough, one no longer has the original stylus shape.

Has anyone photographed that gunk built-up of the actual part of the tip that it's tracing the grooves?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'll report back after having more time to inspect closely. It's certainly nice being able to set the ST-50 on the platter and lower the stylus into the goo via the queueing lever. I did need to raise the queueing device a bit to provide enough clearance, but that seems a worthwhile trade-off.

We want to know everything, including the most sticky most gooey most dirty most impossible to clean stylus that requires the best "wet" cleaning methods. Often it's a combination of Magic Eraser and with stylus cleaning fluid used on a stylus brush...for the real dirty hard to remove gumbo stuff. Dust is always easy to remove no sweat, no liquid needed. But residues from the grooves like oil sticky gum, that's another ball game.

? https://www.ds-audio-w.biz/?page_id=3084

? https://theaudiophileman.com/ds-audio-st-50-vinyl-clean-review/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Has anyone photographed that gunk built-up of the actual part of the tip that it's tracing the grooves?

I don't have a camera to take pictures that "macroscopic".
I did google though and I found several photos; this one would be a good example (before & after):

It's closer to an extreme case, for people who don't have a good quality record cleaning machine and who purchase second-hand albums @ garage sales or used record stores.

So it all depends what type of analog audiophiles we are, what tools we use, what conditions are the records we're spinning, the care and attention we give to our stylus after each and every single play (even per side...22 minutes).

I use my best stylus to play only pristine clean albums.
I change stylus (cartridge) for music enjoyment from second-hand records.
Why should we deprive ourselves from driving second-hand cars?

If you have three or four tonearms on your turntable you are universally spinning all music records from all world's provenances. ...Much simpler than having four turntables.
Having various cartridges with one tonearm on the TT is another option...removable headshell.

If you only have one TT, one tonearm that you cannot replace the headshell; I wouldn't play albums that appear so so to the eye.
_____

Here's another example:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing