Gian's system - Vyger-Opus vs Techdas AF3, SAT+Lyra Lambda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
i think 'raw meat' = organic orange = as nature intended the truth to be that particular time. there is more than one variance of an organic orange. but they are all organic oranges and genuine.

Honest to you Mike. I was thinking the way you use "organic orange" when I wrote "raw meat." We just have our way of saying describing different approach to sound. I don't really care if people understand me or how they draw to neutrality that I did not write. But I have a feeling you might understand. Even raw meat could have different variation but yet you taste it you know it is raw.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Honest to you Mike. I was thinking the way you use "organic orange" when I wrote "raw meat." We just have our way of saying describing different approach to sound. I don't really care if people understand me or how they draw to neutrality that I did not write. But I have a feeling you might understand. Even raw meat could have different variation but yet you taste it you know it is raw.

there is a time in system evolution when you are seeing how your gear works together best to take you farthest.....finding our genuine musical truth. the next step is just music. great album below btw. digital recording (easy to sample streaming) which is very good, but the vinyl is better, very lively, and worth trying.

1599065361071.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
..finding our genuine musical truth. the next step is just music. great album below btw. digital recording (easy to sample streaming) which is very good, but the vinyl is better, very lively, and worth trying.

thanx, just ordered :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Oh is it active? I thought it was passive. Never heard it but it always gets compared to Slagle's AVC, so thought it was passive. Will contact you to do a shootout of that with slagle and Hattor passive
I had "The Truth" along side the copper and silver AVC in my system.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
there is a time in system evolution when you are seeing how your gear works together best to take you farthest.....finding our genuine musical truth. the next step is just music. great album below btw. digital recording (easy to sample streaming) which is very good, but the vinyl is better, very lively, and worth trying.

View attachment 68900

That's a great album, Mike. I've been listening to this string quartet frequently during some period of time, it's addictive.

But by which mechanism can a digital recording sound better on vinyl?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

It is mostly not the format, which sounds better (digital or vinyl),
it is the different work of the mastering guy. Vinyl is currently seen as more "audiophile" format,
so very often the dynamic on vinyl is more enhanced in the mix
(as it hat not to be properly played on blue tooth boxes or mobiles as well...)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That's a great album, Mike. I've been listening to this string quartet frequently during some period of time, it's addictive.

serendipity?

i have thousands of digitally sourced vinyl pressings and most i prefer to the digital version i have. maybe the exception is when it's native dsd i prefer the native dsd mostly. but not many of those so maybe that is an accident?

really it would just be a bunch of mumbo jumbo to speculate technically. vinyl playback, particularly for well recorded digital, sometimes nails it. i buy lots of vinyl of current digital recordings and the majority go to another level on vinyl. which is why i buy them.

maybe the artists push the process harder?

it's possible that the vinyl mastering uses a higher level digital source than any commercial source for the digital. also; maybe i'm only listening to the streaming digital source, if i bought the file and put it on my hard drive it might be equal or batter, which i rarely do when i buy the vinyl.

{Micro's paragraph below).:rolleyes:

and my vinyl playback is not chopped liver; so that does it's part. maybe it's me liking/preferring the colorations of my vinyl playback? or my system is tuned for my vinyl?

Reactions: Al M. and Lagonda

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
What differences did you find?
The Truth was surprisingly good. The silver AVC was better. The Truth was smoother, which at first seemed appealing but ultimately started to sound less natural. The real killer though, and why I couldn't live with The Truth long term, is that the photo cells drift. So I was fairly regularly adjusting the balance to compensate. And that gets in to your head. With each record I kept thinking "is that image supposed to be off center, or has this thing drifted again?". I'd measure voltage outputs using a 1 kHz test track, and nail the balance to around 1 mV, then find within a week it'd have drifted by several hundred mV. So, I said no thanks.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Lagonda

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing