Gian's system - Vyger-Opus vs Techdas AF3, SAT+Lyra Lambda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I did tell Mik I don't think that's sounding right with the Dalby. I can hear that through the video. He differs. So we disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I did tell Mik I don't think that's sounding right with the Dalby. I can hear that through the video. He differs. So we disagree.

I only posted for a customer that is interested in the two arms......

Reactions: 108CY

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang's Dalby had almost no effect for me in his system then.

I had the Dalby record weight since the Kronos was still running. It had sonic effect on all four tts I was using. If Ked was not so busy completing one thousand agendas in four days at my place, I am sure he would hear the effect. A Wow? No. But the effect was there. And so my $4,000 for a learning lesson.

@Gian. You should try on your Vyger. For you it will cost another Milan shirt for me.

nickif

May 17, 2013
Sounds like you guys are chasing snowflakes looking for a pair

Is a steak factory farmed on the prairies going to taste anything like another from the flower meadows of Pyrenees? Each a different experience which one's previous experience is going to inform the preference.

As every piece of kit and system is the culmination of someones choices, there's no absolute, just a flavour, a snowflake

FWIW I had the big version of the original Dalby weight here for a few weeks. It had a positive impact on the way my system plays, why should that be any different to choosing one tonearm over another? Not enough of a difference to justify the cost so I tried a Stillpoints which I also felt beneficial (in different ways). A change of amplification showed that in reality the Stillpoint weight was making up for deficiencies in the amplification

It's a system

Very well said, I don't buy the concept of "neutrality" too. When listening to a system, I would immediately tell whether it sounds right or not (a certain level of balance across frequencies; transparency, energy, soundstage scale etc), this is objective and most well trained audiophile can do that.

After that, personal taste jumps in and I would judge whether I like it or not. Sometimes the sound is not my cup of tea but I still think it is a well put-together system. However "neutral" is a word I never use to make a comment to how a system sounds, because it just doesn't exists... everything has a impact on the sound, cables, room, grounding, racks...it's just impossible to have an absolute reference.

As to record weight, it is no difference to me than other components like phono cable, arm, cartridge. Are you going to spend 3-5k for a phono cable upgrade? or cartridge upgrade? If the answer is yes, then why not a record weight? Assuming the improvement is as large.

Actually, the more I listen to all kinds of accessories, the more humble I become. I used to be skeptical about most of them, but now I just shut up and listen. And then ask myself, is it possible to make a similar improvement with the same cost?

P.S. This is not an argument with Tang as he clearly stated "neutrality" is not what he meant. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: defride

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had the Dalby record weight since the Kronos was still running. It had sonic effect on all four tts I was using. If Ked was not so busy completing one thousand agendas in four days at my place, I am sure he would hear the effect. A Wow? No. But the effect was there. And so my $4,000 for a learning lesson.

@Gian. You should try on your Vyger. For you it will cost another Milan shirt for me.

Your one TT had suspension and vacuum. The other has a sloping platter as part of its design. Maybe that's why. Also your weight is much lighter, mine was very heavy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We already tried on Gian's Vyger, it didn't work. If made it sound bad. It worked great on Marco's Bergmann, the Bergmann from Gian which is now with Bill (tried at Bill's), and on the Torqeo

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We already tried on Gian's Vyger, it didn't work. If made it sound bad. It worked great on Marco's Bergmann, Gian's Bergmann which is now with Bill, and on the Torqeo
Don't say that Bonz. You tried your Darlby. Mine is the second generation more expensive than yours. Totally different shape. Maybe different wood too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There is one magazine that thinks differently , plus it has a very large following .
TAS the absolute sound .
A rather arrogant statement afaic

"The absolute sound" according to one particular school of thought - it is only arrogant if we do not understand what is behind it. The intend was clearly explained in issue 1 of TAS and was often discussed in many articles in the magazine along decades." Absolute sound" is a nick for a type of sound, not an universal reference or preference. In fact , unless people understand this hobby, most of our statements can be considered arrogant, starting with the WBF forum name ... ;)

The Absolute Sound (TAS) was most of all a brilliant copyright act.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't say that Bonz. You tried your Darlby. Mine is the second generation more expensive than yours. Totally different shape. Maybe different wood too.

Each Dalby is different. There is no one better than the other. Yours is much lighter than the one I had. Or what you see in that Vyger video. At yours I tried your Dalby, at Gian's I tried mine.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok I understand, you are telling Gian to try your Dalby

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A Vyger with two arms...just when the well-heeled and well-appointed vinylphile thought he had it all...

It's a pity it doesn't have a pivoted arm. Maybe that's next generation

Reactions: 108CY

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
"The absolute sound" according to one particular school of thought - it is only arrogant if we do not understand what is behind it. The intend was clearly explained in issue 1 of TAS and was often discussed in many articles in the magazine along decades." Absolute sound" is a nick for a type of sound, not an universal reference or preference. In fact , unless people understand this hobby, most of our statements can be considered arrogant, starting with the WBF forum name ... ;)

The Absolute Sound (TAS) was most of all a brilliant copyright act.
Writing for money is the first thing what comes to my mind .
I did read 2 of their magazines 12 years ago , may be they have changed the tune.
For me no thank you

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) And then ask myself, is it possible to make a similar improvement with the same cost? (...)

This is the most immediate and flagrant reality of our hobby - most of our valuations are referred to this aspect. Surely this makes our judgments extremely dependent on our (and a few others) systems.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
P.S. This is not an argument with Tang as he clearly stated "neutrality" is not what he meant. Just my 2 cents.

If my memory serves me right, the only time I ever used the word "neutral" in this forum was when I was describing the tone of Atlas SL years ago when I was cutting short describing its tone.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If my memory serves me right, the only time I ever used the word "neutral" in this forum was when I was describing the tone of Atlas SL years ago when I was cutting short describing its tone.

The word might not have been used, but for me "It is actually much more difficult to find a solution that add or subtract least to the sound imo. " "No need to season it in any way" is neutral. Neutral is without seasoning, that lets the recording through, without adding or subtracting. What everyone should try to achieve. I know there are negative connotations with neutrality but not to me, for me neutrality is a positive, though utopian.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Be careful with such argument, do not make bets with anyone, google thinks otherwise ... :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Be careful with such argument, do not make bets with anyone, google thinks otherwise ... :)
It is not an argument Micro. It is a statement. People here just enjoy making a statement into an argument. Thanks for your curtesy anyhow. But I started my statement with "If my memory serves me right." Therefore I could be mistaken. ;)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't understand. It's not memories, get to listen to it regularly here (Covid times aside).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing