Gian's system - Vyger-Opus vs Techdas AF3, SAT+Lyra Lambda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No Tang, my point to you was that when you argue you tried to move to neutrality, another can argue you moved to color. Hope that clarifies. It was my way of telling you that the post you put after the Dalby was pointless, and just what you view as neutral could be color. I would be the last to say valves are colored with respect to SS, but then I would never say Dalby or Shun Mook clamps color either
Ked. Read what I wrote again.

So for me if a record weight does something extraordinary, it means either the system lacks something or something in the chain or the tt itself needs it to fill a hole.

You see my point? A record weight does magic to the point of extraordinary? Really? I have a piece of Dalby too. Your Shun Mook transforms the sound of a tt to a point of extraordinary? What I wrote is something to think about. Not looking to arguing. If it were me I would throw away that tt instead of buying the record weight.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

So for me if a record weight does something extraordinary, it means either the system lacks something or something in the chain or the tt itself needs it to fill a hole.

You see my point? A record weight does magic to the point of extraordinary? Really? I have a piece of Dalby too. Your Shun Mook transforms the sound of a tt to a point of extraordinary? What I wrote is something to think about. Not looking to arguing. If it were me I would throw away that tt instead of buying the record weight.

LOL. All my record weights now gather dust in the bottom of my shelves. Luckily I don't have that many.

Makes playing music a whole lot easier and quicker as well - to my ears in my system on all 4 tables it sounds more natural nude.

Always wondered if I would like a vacuum table or get irritated with the continual switching off and on .
Tang, does this bother you on the AF1?

Reactions: brencho

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Tang, Ked has been on the Kool Aid like me. My flavour is Epiphany, his is Extraordinary.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wow. My fresh meat comment really get experts pumping. Are you in a "challenging" mode now?

Fact stating mode today lol.

In all seriousness - using the meat analogy - that pristine steak sat on your “platter” (pun intended) is unfortunately always heavily cooked with many different ingredients all working together.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nick should get the Technic direct drive with OMA plinth so that we have many flavors in the forum. Soundwise, I have no idea but it sure makes him a cool dude with uncommon equipment and then can rave about its sonic so much no one can't question because no one has heard. Just like me with ddk's tt. :D

Technics + Thales + Lyra is amazing.

Would luv to to try one of the OMA plinths obe day.

And Ked, no I am not doing videos , although my Samsung phone will look and sound better than any iPhone :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
LOL. All my record weights now gather dust in the bottom of my shelves. Luckily I don't have that many.

Makes playing music a whole lot easier and quicker as well - to my ears in my system on all 4 tables it sounds more natural nude.

Always wondered if I would like a vacuum table or get irritated with the continual switching off and on .
Tang, does this bother you on the AF1?
Shane. Every time I listen to my system there is always a time I don't put on record weight. My tts still sound like my tts. The vacuum switch also didn't bother me when played Af1. When I switch on I don't bother putting on record weight to make it more convenient for me. The AF1 still sounded like the AF1.

Reactions: CK Tam and XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Technics + Thales + Lyra is amazing.

Would luv to to try one of the OMA plinths obe day.

And Ked, no I am not doing videos , although my Samsung phone will look and sound better than any iPhone :)

It doesn't. Samsung sounds clean and analytical, while iPhone sounds organic. Already compared. Put your record weight on the mobile and see if it improves

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It doesn't. Samsung sounds clean and analytical, while iPhone sounds organic. Already compared. Put your record weight on the mobile and see if it improves

Ked, so have I - the rest of my family have Apple - but the girls are perfect for Apple marketing and ecosystem .

Samsung is clean and neutral - an open window . iphone is coloured. Can you post me your Dalby and I will try it - it is supposed extraordinary :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Fact stating mode today lol.

In all seriousness - using the meat analogy - that pristine steak sat on your “platter” (pun intended) is unfortunately always heavily cooked with many different ingredients all working together.
Under this philosophy I am sure your horn is not only a marvelous wood work but also seasoned to great taste. ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Under this philosophy I am sure your horn is not only a marvelous wood work but also seasoned to great taste. ;)

All speakers are voiced - mine is no different nor is yours.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, Ked has been on the Kool Aid like me. My flavour is Epiphany, his is Extraordinary.
Dear Marc. I think you Brit have too much stress from Covid.

Reactions: XV-1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dear Marc. I think you Brit have too much stress from Covid.
Doesn't everyone? Actually, I'm doing just fine, Tang.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow. My fresh meat comment really get experts pumping. Are you in a "challenging" mode now?

IMHO the fresh meat comment was amusing, but superficial and vague. The stereo standard is so poor technically and in its objectives that it needs spicing for real enjoyment. We can provide this spice in two ways - using our imagination (in the positive sense of the word), most time coupled with our musical experience, and using selected equipment to manipulate the signal before it is delivered to our ears.

The only "raw" experience is binaural and probably some experimental systems based on sound synthesis - all else must be heavily spiced.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Sounds like you guys are chasing snowflakes looking for a pair

Is a steak factory farmed on the prairies going to taste anything like another from the flower meadows of Pyrenees? Each a different experience which one's previous experience is going to inform the preference.

As every piece of kit and system is the culmination of someones choices, there's no absolute, just a flavour, a snowflake

FWIW I had the big version of the original Dalby weight here for a few weeks. It had a positive impact on the way my system plays, why should that be any different to choosing one tonearm over another? Not enough of a difference to justify the cost so I tried a Stillpoints which I also felt beneficial (in different ways). A change of amplification showed that in reality the Stillpoint weight was making up for deficiencies in the amplification

It's a system

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As every piece of kit and system is the culmination of someones choices, there's no absolute, just a flavour, a snowflake
There is one magazine that thinks differently , plus it has a very large following .
TAS the absolute sound .
A rather arrogant statement afaic

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually my friend who bought the Dalby from me owns the Still point. It was a no contest. He still kept the Dalby for year before buying, and each time he said he couldn't justify so much money for a record weight/clamp. Yet each time he took it off he couldn't do without it.

I have in another system compared Dalby to the shun Mook, and in another shun Mook to the harmonix.

I have tried Dalby in many systems on tour including Bill's. I have also seen it not work in many systems but almost all had either suspension (negative effect) or vacuum (Negligible effect). Tang's Dalby had almost no effect for me in his system then.

The thing is wherever it had positive effect, the owner couldn't justify buying it because so much for a clamp just didn't make sense for him theoretically, though he liked it.

Reactions: defride and nickif

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Reactions: boonyarat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing