Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I invited myself to Mike's for a short Etsuro audition yesterday and Mike graciously accepted. To establish a baseline, we listened to the Etsuro on the CS Port table/arm and then moved things over to the Saskia/Tosca using the same phono cable.

I won't bury the lede: the Etsuro is a killer cartridge. Having heard many fine cartridges (mainly at Mike's :)), the Gold is the current champ at reproducing the sense of 'aliveness' that you get with actual instruments in space. It's a terrific tracker. Nice sense of air surrounding instruments. Bass is flat out killer. Life is short: if you've got the chicken, it's worth checking out.

Thank you for this report!

As my audiophile data point research progresses I am gradually getting sold on the Etsuro Gold over the Opus 1!

Out of curiosity have you heard in Mike’s system any of the current generation of vdH Colibris which Mike has been playing recently?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you for this report!

As my audiophile data point research progresses I am gradually getting sold on the Etsuro Gold over the Opus 1!

Out of curiosity have you heard in Mike’s system any of the current generation of vdH Colibris which Mike has been playing recently?

i won't speak for jazdoc regarding his perceptions, but not only has he heard all three, he heard the first 2 in his own system (i loaned them to him). the MS he only heard at my place.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
i won't speak for jazdoc regarding his perceptions, but not only has he heard all three, he heard the first 2 in his own system (i loaned them to him). the MS he only heard at my place.

What he said...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I had the good fortune to visit MikeL last Monday evening. Turns out we were neighbors for a time when I was living up in Seattle area, but before I had gotten back into audiophilia. And after years of reading of his system and his room (which inspired me for my own room efforts) I finally made a pilgrimage to “the barn.”

Oh my! A visit to Mike’s is a vision into what is possible in this hobby, and I will say he’s recalibrated my yardstick. Similar to my visit to Bob V’s place in Manhattan last spring where I heard the Diesis speakers, I’ve come away rethinking my understandings and expectations.

Consequently, specific comments by me regarding the Etsuro Gold would be out of place knowing how interconnected are cartridge/arm/table/phono stage/cables etc.

Mike was most gratious, spinning some jazz and classical to warm up the cartridge before playing tracks from a couple LPs I brought along. Of course, Mike’s rig is stunning, so I focused on nuance, harmonics, and blending of voices when singing harmonies. All the audiophile desirable traits are there on steroids in Mike’s room and for me it comes down to whether or not I’m able to get lost in the music, forget the gear, and be moved by the musicians intent. Now, I can sometimes be moved hearing music on the car radio, but I’ve heard some amazing rigs that provide all the sound but none of the music.

To be fair, we only listened to the Gold on the CS Port, so no comparison to the Ortofon Anna Diamond or Goldfinger. What I did hear however was amazing musical “gestalt,” nuance and subtleties supported the music not calling attention to themselves. Texture and detail in the lowest octaves, drive, force, dynamics; richness in midrange without getting gooey or honey-coated, and aliveness and air in the treble, all with delicacy in sustain and decay.

Thats all the audio reviewer vocabulary I can muster. I had a great time, heard nuance and subtlety as never before, and would encourage anyone in the market for a cartridge of the very highest caliber to hear the Etsuro Gold. If Mike L, who has the good fortune to own some of the highest caliber cartridges, and has owned and heard many others, says the Gold tops them all, I’m inclined to believe.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
hi Bob,

i really enjoyed our session, and was equally impressed with the Etsuro Gold with what we played. thank you for the kind words, and the great descriptions of what you heard.

i think i played things a bit louder with you than what i had been doing, and i was amazed by what i heard. that last SRV cut blew my brains out.

this past week the Etsuro Gold has continued to captivate me each time out.

thank you for your visit and hope we can do it again soon.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardener and Bobvin

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
yesterday i had the best vinyl listening day of my life with the Etsuro Gold mounted on both the CS Port LFT1 and the Saskia model two. i listened to vinyl for 11+ hours. it was fantastic and i touched all the bases. and all the music.....both country and western.:cool: seriously i did large, medium, and small classical, lots of vocals, jazz combos and big band, and finished off with lots of classic rock. pulled out some long dormant favorites and was so stoked at every turn......of the record.

never a misstep or moment where the Etsuro Gold did not fully command the music.

i feel so lucky to be able to enjoy this cartridge.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're such a tease, Mike. Lol.
In response to yr C&W comment, yee haw!
You know how impatient I am re Saskia feedback from you.
So...how is Saskia measuring up? Are you sticking to yr assertion that some genres or even pressings suit the Saskia, some the CSP?
How is the classic rock dichotomy on idler/pivoted v belt/LT?
Can we say if Saskia suits Led Zeppelin, CSP suits Liszt?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You're such a tease, Mike. Lol.
In response to yr C&W comment, yee haw!
You know how impatient I am re Saskia feedback from you.
So...how is Saskia measuring up? Are you sticking to yr assertion that some genres or even pressings suit the Saskia, some the CSP?
How is the classic rock dichotomy on idler/pivoted v belt/LT?
Can we say if Saskia suits Led Zeppelin, CSP suits Liszt?

both the CS Port and Saskia are all around performers.

but yesterday how i did it was the jazz, big band and some vocals on the Saskia, most of the classical and classic rock on the CS Port. the CS Port does space and soaring large scale music with such ease and majestic authority. the bass with other-worldly articulation and all these subterranean bass lines popping up here and there i'd never heard. i can push it to warp 9/11/infinity and everything is dead solid coherent and the nuance and delicacy is still present. the Saskia 'right sizes' and focuses things slightly better and but then does not soar quite like the CS Port. 'Africa' from Toto, 'Stormy Monday' from The Allman Brothers, and 'Low Spark from High Heel Boys' from Traffic are more suited to the CS Port. but 'Tanya' from Dexter Gordon is more focused and rhythmic, the horns a little denser, on the Saskia.

all the vocals were as grainless and real as i've ever heard reproduced music.

i'm still in the glow of my session.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fantastic Mike. You mean, you CAN have it all? I always thought that was empty advertising to sell Coca Cola.

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fantastic Mike. You mean, you CAN have it all? I always thought that was empty advertising to sell Coca Cola.

i've still got some cable upgrades i have to work my way through, but other than than that i'm where i wanted to be a year ago, and have met my expectations for what i wanted vinyl-wise to have to choose from. does that mean i have it all? my answer would be, i'm happy and am not looking for more gear.

turning the page to just music, like yesterday. i was swimming in a glorious musical river all day.

Reactions: wisnon and Bobvin

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

but yesterday how i did it was the jazz, big band and some vocals on the Saskia, most of the classical and classic rock on the CS Port. the CS Port does space and soaring large scale music with such ease and majestic authority. the bass with other-worldly articulation and all these subterranean bass lines popping up here and there i'd never heard. i can push it to warp 9/11/infinity and everything is dead solid coherent and the nuance and delicacy is still present. the Saskia 'right sizes' and focuses things slightly better and but then does not soar quite like the CS Port. 'Africa' from Toto, 'Stormy Sunday' from The Allman Brothers, and 'Low Spark from High Heel Boys' from Traffic are more suited to the CS Port. but 'Tanya' from Dexter Gordon is more focused and rhythmic, the horns a little denser, on the Saskia.

Going to school on your putt Mike. Mine arrives tomorrow and this truly closes the door for me. End game for me has been a delight to not only look forward to but to actually achieve. It is for me, finally all about the music. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on the cartridge

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Going to school on your putt Mike. Mine arrives tomorrow and this truly closes the door for me. End game for me has been a delight to not only look forward to but to actually achieve. It is for me, finally all about the music. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on the cartridge

really happy for you Steve, you are going to love it.:)

and i know how great it will sound in your wonderful room. Congrats!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

but yesterday how i did it was the jazz, big band and some vocals on the Saskia, most of the classical and classic rock on the CS Port. the CS Port does space and soaring large scale music with such ease and majestic authority. the bass with other-worldly articulation and all these subterranean bass lines popping up here and there i'd never heard. i can push it to warp 9/11/infinity and everything is dead solid coherent and the nuance and delicacy is still present. the Saskia 'right sizes' and focuses things slightly better and but then does not soar quite like the CS Port. 'Africa' from Toto, 'Stormy Sunday' from The Allman Brothers, and 'Low Spark from High Heel Boys' from Traffic are more suited to the CS Port. but 'Tanya' from Dexter Gordon is more focused and rhythmic, the horns a little denser, on the Saskia.

Wow. I see you grinning from ear to ear! LoL

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Congratulations, Steve!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
was traveling the last 4-5 days, home last night late. so tonight fired up both the CS Port and Saskia and am playing the Etsuro Gold. and have been playing 45rpm pressings the last hour or so and just pulled out a title i had not played in 10 years at least, on the CS Port/Etsuro Gold. and i'm floored.

zero sense of anything reproduced. (almost) all the way to real? a case can be made......magic is happening.

Bill Frisell & Doug Wamble

http://www.directgrace.org/DG00104S.html

mine is serial #0020

1582092119889.png

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Mike, the gold looks so fine and textured, it could almost flake off.
I hope that does not happen thou:p

Btw, when are you trying the Gold on one of the other tables?
Need to ascertain how much magic is CS and how much is Gold

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, the gold looks so fine and textured, it could almost flake off.
I hope that does not happen thou:p

i'm confident that i'll receive first class support should anything ever happen. Excel Sound, the builders of this cartridge, are Japan's most experienced, so i have faith. i'm no metallurgist and have no idea what might or might not occur.

Btw, when are you trying the Gold on one of the other tables?
Need to ascertain how much magic is CS and how much is Gold

Mik's feedback that comes to mind, is that Etsuro Bordeaux, the Top Wing Red Sparrow, and the Murasakino Musique Sumile, all sounded special on the CS Port. likely over the months he has mentioned others too.

but the Gold was........golden.

i'm assuming most cartridges would sing sweetly on the CS Port. about the only niggle is a very low mass cartridge has a bit of trouble with the choices of counter-weight's on the arm. i had cueing issues with the vdH Master Signature. no playing issues, just cueing. but it's very light. i could have added a shim. they could also easily supply more counterweight choices. a small thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

108CY

May 4, 2013
i'm confident that i'll receive first class support should anything ever happen. Excel Sound, the builders of this cartridge, are Japan's most experienced, so i have faith. i'm no metallurgist and have no idea what might or might not occur.

Mik's feedback that comes to mind, is that Etsuro Bordeaux, the Top Wing Red Sparrow, and the Murasakino Musique Sumile, all sounded special on the CS Port. likely over the months he has mentioned others too.

but the Gold was........golden.

i'm assuming most cartridges would sing sweetly on the CS Port. about the only niggle is a very low mass cartridge has a bit of trouble with the choices of counter-weight's on the arm. i had cueing issues with the vdH Master Signature. no playing issues, just cueing. but it's very light. i could have added a shim. they could also easily supply more counterweight choices. a small thing.

There is a synergy for sure with the Cs port and the Gold a bit like the Top Wing and the Vyger they seem to Gell perfectly.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i did add a second Etsuro Gold to my Saskia model two/Durand Tosca. and i'd say this also is a phenomenal combination. so now i have an Etsuro Gold on both the CS Port and the Saskia. and i also added a second EMIA 'silver' 1:10 SUT so each 'Gold' is optimal. the CS Port phono has 2 MM inputs, so i can easily switch, and hear both tt's at their very best.

2 G-1 (1 of 1).jpg 2 G-2 (1 of 1).jpg 2 G-3 (1 of 1).jpg 2 G-SUT (1 of 1).jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing