* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

Just some very few photographs ...

Last night I sat down in my favorite chair, and I listened to this Blu-ray Audio and to the four CDs included with it ::
{The BD is recorded in 5.1 (& also in 2.0) hi-res audio (lossless) Dolby TrueHD at 192kHz/24-bit.}

-- 87692_large.jpg

* It goes without saying that I'm a huge Van Morrison's music/songwriting/singing/vocals fan (the guy in real life is less than amiable though).
And this release (not approved by him by the way) is a new revelation, radically!
- You can click on the above picture cover if you feel like it (info); and I mainly agree with this particular reviewer.

Last edited:
This is without ? A great set, Bob. I really like the spare, essentially unplugged versions. This goes well with the Hollywood bowl set.

His voice on those tracks reminded me of how he sounded when I saw him at a small club up Creque Alley at Charlotte Amalie around late 65' early 66' while Them was still together but not for long. In my USN days.

-- 13608_large.jpg

I've seen it before; a while back, somewhere...
It's ok; a 1958 Ingmar Bergman's flick (B&W, 1.33:1 aspect ratio, Swedish mono language, with Englese subtitles), and it's magic in its own way.
{Finally decided to put it in the Oppo's tray in anticipation to Halloween.}

Last night I sat down in my favorite chair, and I listened to this Blu-ray Audio and to the four CDs included with it ::
{The BD is recorded in 5.1 (& also in 2.0) hi-res audio (lossless) Dolby TrueHD at 192kHz/24-bit.}

-- View attachment 12348

* It goes without saying that I'm a huge Van Morrison's music/songwriting/singing/vocals fan (the guy in real life is less than amiable though).
And this release (not approved by him by the way) is a new revelation, radically!
- You can click on the above picture cover if you feel like it (info); and I mainly agree with this particular reviewer.

Bob,

Do you feel that the 5.1 remastering aided or damaged the original presentation?

Lee

Bob,

Do you feel that the 5.1 remastering aided or damaged the original presentation?

Lee

And you also have the choice with that other 2.0 stereo Dolby TrueHD audio soundtrack.

Lee, I'm big into surround sound (hi-res), it's no secret (Hybrid SACDs, DVD-Audios, Blu-ray Videos & Audios);
so when I previously said that it was a new revelation, it meant for the new welcome wow factor (very good).
And I'm also a tinkering and a perfecting person; so I manually adjust my sound on a disc to disc basis for the most pleasing experience (always have been). ...Like the levels of the surrounds for example, for a realistic/enveloping surround sound overall blending (balance).
The mixing engineer made some comfortable choices; I simply perfect them to my own taste, in my own room (because he hasn't my set of ears and room).

So, in response to your question; the 5.1 audio mix embellishes the listening/surrounding experience. ...In a pleasant new auditory perspective from a very well known album and which has very very deep memories in my own personal life.
- Fill me in more with balance and my life is for the better. ...Just get this Deluxe Edition set Tim. ...And even without Van's saying.
... "And It Stoned Me"

* Ask Ron too.

Last edited:
Last night, I was flying kind of hi ::

-- 78393_large.jpg

A 1961 Michelangelo Antonioni's B&W flick.
- Not for everybody; an introverted study on noncommunication, and emptiness, and alienation.

The 3D version :::

-- 51229_large.jpg

* I don't know about PIXAR recently; they seem to lack imagination from their team.

This 3D BD is technically awesome (picture & sound quality); but the real content is definitely lacking.
...Less impressive than its original one, which I wasn't the biggest fan to start off with; my favorite part was Boo, that little escapee girl from that door.
...And her scream! ...The entire room came alive and the lights started shifting intensity! ...No kidding!

Anyway, I hope PIXAR's team find the time to be more imaginative next time, because I love their animation flicks (got them all).
And forget sequels; get new fresh stuff, solid stuff from what kids are made of. :b
And don't get sidetracked by investment profits; stay true to your sources, to your origins, to the true art of animation cinema making.
...With wisdom, creativity, beneficial messages for the entire planet. ...Be "Disney". ...In today's PIXAR true cinematic art & form.

-- 78376_large.jpg

The first film (1959) directed by John Cassavetes that I watched last night from this 5-flick boxset:

-- 78374_large.jpg

'Shadows' | Realistic in its crudeness, and from an improvisational director (I love this style of directional approach).
Some interesting stuff here for everyone.

-- 78377_large.jpg

- 1968, black and white 16mm film. ...A character's study, with many many close-ups of faces.
It's a grainy film obviously, but the Criterion BD transfer is faithful, and leaves the grain intact; excellent!

-- 78378_large.jpg

* Filmed in 1974 (in Mono), this flick is not for everyone (the faint of heart). ...As it depicts a realistic relationship.
... 'Columbo' (Peter Falk) is in it as one of the main culprit.

I watched this last night, on Blu-ray ::

* I almost died of a heart attack! ...It is raw, in your face, noisy with guns, bloody, sexy, way too loud, and just simply out of this world.
Best advice: Skip it. ...Or risk it, but don't blame me.

Hi Bob
Reminds me of a T&A take on John Wick!

Welcome back Bob! I could look at Ms. Hayek all day long, but I have no interest in seeing this film.

Hi Ron (Ronnie Earl) and John (The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky),

I was influenced by the youngsters over @ avsforum; they all said that the bass was awesome (loud guns) and they all love looking @ Salma.
So it's my fault if I listened to the younger generations, but I'm honest and I warned you guys, people of my generation. ...Nothing there to see for old farts like us.

_______

* Last night I revisited this one ::

69470_front.jpg

That's one I like; the audio soundtrack, the music, the stylized color's palette, the character's state-of-mind, the visuals, Mila, Denzel, the plot, the development, the beginning, the conclusion, everything between, the old alone house with the old couple living in it in the middle of nowhere land, the storyline, the full concept, the directors, ...brief, I like it all.
>>> Good replay value; I had a ball again. It's the type of film that is atmospheric and philosophic both @ the same time. ...It's the journey.

_______

P.S. Ron, 'John Wick' is another flick in the genre of 'Everly', except that a lot more people get eliminated, very quick, and sounds are coming from above (rain), because it's in Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing