Can a Technics SL-1200G challenge the state of the art?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yet most reports of both exhibitions were extremely positive. Musical and sonic tastes vary and there's nothing wrong with that.
Yes because he markets to the non audiophile crowd. It is not even remotely good, Kef LS50 is better.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yet most reports of both exhibitions were extremely positive. Musical and sonic tastes vary and there's nothing wrong with that.
I suggest Wilson and Magico and Raidho for you. With dCS. Stillpoints under it and Nordost cabling. Very positive reports of all if you google.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes because he markets to the non audiophile crowd. It is not even remotely good, Kef LS50 is better.

when asked to play classical, he had only one LP and said it was really good and played it. That was awful too.

A5AA62E8-4908-48E5-AC31-E4562D4FBB6E.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur and Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Why not just go for an SP-10? Then you can do as you like with plint, armboards, arms, stuff like that. Why bother to completely rebuild the SL-1200G… I don’t get this thread :rolleyes: - so I’m out !!

/ Jk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

struts

Jan 28, 2013
Sweden
His system displayed in London fora few days sounded awful. Just good looking, marketing to his fashion crowd. And that with both tape and vinyl as source. Zero music knowledge too.

Is that actually a SL-1200G?? Could be an SL-1000 (or something else for that matter), hard to tell. Strange that he has gone to the trouble to put it into a plywood case but not, as far as I can see, change the stock rubber mat :confused:.

If that is the PS on the right then it would seem he has taken an interesting approach, bypassing the speed control circuitry (judging by the speed selection buttons on the front) and not just the power supply. IMO the speed control circuitry In the 1200G is SoTA, just needs a clean power source (sited well away from the cartridge) to do its thing.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Yes he is a successful businessman.
Those kind of guys who stick to old technology draw people’s attention with the claim that how good the old products and how bad the new ones. They make a couple of demonstrations full of big manifestations about how the old stuff is made by artisans that are no longer around nor the knowledge. Everything is ok up to this point but when they became famous they start building new products with new stuff looking old. What’s the point of manufacturing cheap copies of Altecs? Independent from the debate if old stuff is really better or not, I guess -as you’ve noted- it’s all about business not sound.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@bonzo75 That’s a great album in the video,
I have it. Where do you get “zero music knowledge” from?
I mentioned on the classical part - showing only one album, the one I have in the pic, and stating it as good.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
when asked to play classical, he had only one LP and said it was really good and played it. That was awful too.

View attachment 125328
Classical music is esoteric in its nature. When I go to the Walt Disney music hall, 70% of the patrons are over 70.

It seems like he has strong jazz knowledge but is not a classical fan, Just like his customer base.

Personally, I think he is doing great things with Altec, 300b SETs, and analog. Much more interesting than $100K DACS.

Reactions: directdriver

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I mentioned on the classical part - showing only one album, the one I have in the pic, and stating it as good.
It’s not a classical album, it’s a jazz album with a classical orchestra. Pharaoh Sanders is no classical musician.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Classical music is esoteric in its nature. When I go to the Walt Disney music hall, 70% of the patrons are over 70.

It seems like he has strong jazz knowledge but is not a classical fan, Just like his customer base.

Personally, I think he is doing great things with Altec, 300b SETs, and analog. Much more interesting than $100K DACS.

He is doing nothing interesting with Altecs and 300bs. Hundreds have done that, some are doing ia much better with the sonics, the Altec TAD JBL etc has been going on for years, with really quality stuff. He is marketing a poor sounding replica.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It’s not a classical album, it’s a jazz album with a classical orchestra. Pharaoh Sanders is no classical musician.

Yes so my point is when I asked him for classical, he said he has only one classical album and that was the one

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
He is doing nothing interesting with Altecs and 300bs. Hundreds have done that, some are doing ia much better with the sonics, the Altec TAD JBL etc has been going on for years, with really quality stuff. He is marketing a poor sounding replica.
Funny, I see no one else with installations across the world with young people being turned on to high efficiency horns and SET’s. I haven’t seen anyone else having work shops on how to build Sun Audio 300b amps with gen Z soldering up amps like my father used too.

When I play my 300b based high efficiency horn system to wife’s Gen Z actor friends they are absolutely blown away. I just wish I had the time and marketing prowess to spread the word as well as Devon.

Let’s stop derailing this thread but you are nit picking.

struts

Jan 28, 2013
Sweden
Funny, I see no one else with installations across the world with young people being turned on to high efficiency horns and SET’s. I haven’t seen anyone else having work shops on how to build Sun Audio 300b amps with gen Z soldering up amps like my father used too.

When I play my 300b based high efficiency horn system to wife’s Gen Z actor friends they are absolutely blown away. I just wish I had the time and marketing prowess to spread the word as well as Devon.

Let’s stop derailing this thread but you are nit picking.
@bonzo75 @jeff1225 thanks guys but as Jeff says I think we are well off topic here. Please could you settle this out in the parking lot?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When I play my 300b based high efficiency horn system
Hiraga brought back 300b in the 80s, and it is the most popular SET amp. No need to give credit to Devon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing