* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mike, I love Opera and Choral music...the good stuff.
And some members of my family they simply cannot get into it.
I love all my family and friends, very much, for what they like and what they less like (cannot get into).

With films it's the same.

I used to be fearless, taking risks, life-threatening risks. I also could watch any horror flicks and feel nothing, as if they were all comedies.

I like people's with various and different opinions on everything...music and films.
It is by expressing what we like and not like that we free ourselves. ...Excising our right to express our likes and dislikes. ...Always with respect and without imposing to others.

That particulier film I love the cinematography, the decor sets, the children actors, the story, the magic ... Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

We are supremely intelligent people, and that's what make us like different films, different music genres and different audio gear, and cars. :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night ...

It's a fantasy horror psychic mythological flick. Something like that with a dose of Kubrick' decor sets @ the end (from 'The Shining'). Hocus pocus abracadabra smoke coming out from the mouth of the soul.

The picture is pretty, very.
The audio is clear.

Overall: 65

Not Oscar worthy but TV soap opera series genre. In the right hands it could have been more potent. Dare if you care, you could do worst.

* Bonus: The regular Blu-ray has an extended cut, price to sell.
I'll have a look sometime when I got time to spare in my spare time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this last night but I couldn't finish it ...

Sergio Leone's movies (Westerns) seem to be appropriate for relaxing and take the mind out.
They sure were when we were kids. It's a 3-hour film and I was tired.
It's among one of my favorites...great entertainment.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited 'Ford v Ferrari'
? https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...dvd-and-what-was-it.2876/page-141#post-628423
I was ready to fall asleep ... but surprisingly I hanged on till the end of the rolling credits (music tunes).

The replay value is very good. The music tunes kept me alive, everything about this flick is entertaining. Plus it is based on a true story. I previously gave it an overall score of 84; for this revisit I pumped it up to 90. Because I'm allowed to, and there are no laws against it.

Highly recommended, and even a rewatch.
The 4K HDR picture is fabulous and the sounds plus the music tunes excellent.
The actors are in great form delivering the story.

That was the perfect antidote, the cure I needed. I simply picked the right flick to revisit without being sure. It woke me up.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited ... on Blu-ray

Ridley Scott directed it. The film is a little underrated IMO.
There are scenes brillantly constructed. The actors are in their element.
A little overboard @ times, but the tension is palpable @ others.

Overall (my own personal rating score): 68

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.
It'll take care of your mindset for a brief moment, in not so dramatic atonement.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I put this BR disc title in the BR spinner last night, but I couldn't finish it ... late and tired.
(the film is almost 3 hours long, 5 minutes short) ...

I got over half way (1 hour and 45 mins); I'll watch the rest later on tonight.
My overall score rating will have to wait.

But I can say this so far ...
The cinematography is majestic, several shots are diamonds...more than money shots...high end visual art.
The locales and sceneries and architecture (interiors) to die for...the wood work, sculptures, paintings, ... oh my!
The music score is phenomenal, the perfect antidote, what no one can prescribe but heals the soul incisively.

More tomorrow about the storyline, acting, etc.

It's like a painting, a meditation, not your usual movie experience.
And, there is a mountain of philosophies, including of course a love story ...
I can predict easily that it won't float everyone's boat, but others will find beautiful things for the senses...visuals and music.
And others like I, meditations on the world and its movements.
It's a personal journey...to be continued ... unique and spiritual.

Tomorrow I might say more after the rolling end credits tonight and deeper thoughts rolling in my head before going to bed ...

Stay safe and distant.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Watched Empire of the Sun for the gazillionth time last night night.
Love the movie and like a lot of war movies I am left asking why.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Watched Empire of the Sun for the gazillionth time last night night.
Love the movie and like a lot of war movies I am left asking why.

Great movie Mike.
Christian Bale (Batman) had his first starring role at age 13 in Steven Spielberg's war film Empire of the Sun (1987).

* Because it's emotional; war is a terrible thing.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Empire of the Sun is a 1987 American epic coming-of-age war film based on J. G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical novel of the same name. It was directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Miranda Richardson and Nigel Havers. The film tells the story of Jamie "Jim" Graham, a young boy who goes from living in a wealthy British family in Shanghai, to becoming a prisoner of war in a Japanese internment camp, during World War II.

A Hidden Life (formerly titled Radegund) is a 2019 epic historical drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick, starring August Diehl, Valerie Pachner, and Matthias Schoenaerts with both Michael Nyqvist and Bruno Ganz in their final performances. The film depicts the life of Franz Jägerstätter, an Austrian farmer and devout Catholic who refused to fight for the Nazis in World War II. The film's title was taken from George Eliot's book Middlemarch.
_____

Both films: During World War II

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My why on that one was why was Briton/French/USA even there in the first place making slaves of the locals. Same with Vietnam.

When there are big wars, usually many countries get involved to stop them, to protect their own interest. Coronavirus feels like a universal war, with worldwide 190 countries (out of a total of 195-196) involved in fighting it, to all protect their own interest...citizens and banks. ..Health first, wealth next...for normal people.
_____

But as a film, Empire of the Sun is a great film. There are some great shots, with great decor sets.
For the sake of movies sake. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I put this BR disc title in the BR spinner last night, but I couldn't finish it ... late and tired.
(the film is almost 3 hours long, 5 minutes short) ...

I got over half way (1 hour and 45 mins); I'll watch the rest later on tonight.
My overall score rating will have to wait.

But I can say this so far ...
The cinematography is majestic, several shots are diamonds...more than money shots...high end visual art.
The locales and sceneries and architecture (interiors) to die for...the wood work, sculptures, paintings, ... oh my!
The music score is phenomenal, the perfect antidote, what no one can prescribe but heals the soul incisively.

More tomorrow about the storyline, acting, etc.

It's like a painting, a meditation, not your usual movie experience.
And, there is a mountain of philosophies, including of course a love story ...
I can predict easily that it won't float everyone's boat, but others will find beautiful things for the senses...visuals and music.
And others like I, meditations on the world and its movements.
It's a personal journey...to be continued ... unique and spiritual.

Tomorrow I might say more after the rolling end credits tonight and deeper thoughts rolling in my head before going to bed ...

Stay safe and distant.

The conclusion ...

Last night I watched the rest; there were only seventy more minutes to go...no sweat.

..More majestic camera shots, wow! The music score never taking prominence but when it comes it's with grandiose presence, wow!

That's a big aspect of this moving experience; the music score never overwhelming, never expected, and subtly coming in crescendo and lifting you up above the clouds over the mountain's highest peaks and way up in space and giving you an observation point of view on the world down below with all the movements and beliefs animating them.

There are narrations during the film, by our two young lovers...their own point of view.

It's a philosophical visual auditive filming experience. Each viewer is free, to make his own choice with all the consequences encompassing that choice. It's not your usual film like Green Book, or Roma, or Star Wars. It's a spiritual moral personal illumination.

The actors are perfectly fitting this spiritual journey, not only our two young lovers but also all other players. Lots of charismatic faces here, with scars of life. You will connect to some, and disconnect from some. It's a film, but more than a film...with a message inside. The message can be read by only one person...the viewer...you.

Overall (my own personal journey in sounds, pictures & free dreams): 84

Last word: Every little picture corner, every smallest detail, every whisper, subtle sound, natural sound element, every incantation in words in sounds in silence, every breeze of wind cascading down the mountains and into the fields down below the valley of green pastures and people moving with their gestures and their allures, every smallest thought, every examination, observation, ...everything is an atonement towards contentment and astonishment, between earth and heavens.

More than numbers ... life ... a personal choice.
Highly recommended, from all aspects of cinématique moving experience.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to add this: I didn't go into any detail, storyline, chapters, start middle end, ...because it's up to you the viewer to experience it without reading it.
I simply described what a normal cinéphile and audiophile would have done in his/her own words. I did my job, the real work starts with everyone else.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Using Plex, we watched a Classic last night from our library, Reservoir Dogs. Wifey is a keeper.

Attachments

• 0ECFE816-29F5-4C59-8B20-8BD928346932.png
    0ECFE816-29F5-4C59-8B20-8BD928346932.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 0

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing