A very nice audio room and system in latest Park Chan-wook movie, Decision to Leave (2002)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Yesterday, me and my wife were watching the new movie of Park Chan-wook, Decision to Leave. It is an interesting romantic mystery that we enjoyed. Before watching the movie I was already anxious to see the interior spaces as his choices are always interesting to me. I loved handmaiden sets. It is not common but also not very unusual to see some high quality or vintage equipment in movies but you never see a properly acoustically treated room and it hurts this acoustician :) This urban Korean house had great acoustic treatment that worked very well with the decor and also featured great vintage equipment. Here are some shots I have taken via my phone just pointing and shooting the screen as we watched, so quality is not very good but you can always go and watch it yourself :)

Here we can see the solid wall rear wall diffuser that is part of the decor and extending to the sides the bass traps that also have vertical wooden dividers in front. The ceiling is made out of absorbers and diffuser and is two level. To its sides it gets deeper so the absorbers are better absorbing bass frequencies. The room has sliding doors and as it is glass there are heavy curtains to cover them too!
dtl6.jpg

On the other side of the room are the records, equipment, speakers and you can also see the corner bass traps with divider on their front like the back corners. All four corners have bass traps.
dtl7.jpg

How about the equipment! Well there are two Western Electric 91b monoblocks that I spot.
dtl4.jpg

A Thorens TD 124 with vintage ortofon spu
dtl3.jpg

Here is a general shot of records and equipment. What are the preamps?
dtl5.jpg

What a treat! Please let me know what are the speakers, I thought vintage Altec but could not remember this model...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing